HP laptop won't read any of my burned media

vbimport

Was given a HP zx5000. Combo drive will read all commercial cd and dvds just fine, but anything I’ve burned over the years it won’t read, it just spins up and down. I use top quality media(Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim) and they all read on other PC’s. All burned with Nero.

I’ve basically tried everything, even the registry hack to remove upper and lower filters, installed all the software on recovery cd’s, nothing.
It’s a hassle to transfer using a flash drive.

Drive is a HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4080N
There are no firmware updates for this drive on HP’s site.

Info tool says it should read these types.

I’m ready to give up and buy a usb burner, but can I boot off a usb drive to reinstall?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,[QUOTE=greyeyezz61;2468188]Combo drive will read all commercial cd and dvds just fine, but anything I’ve burned over the years it won’t read, it just spins up and down. (…)
I’ve basically tried everything, [/quote]Have you also tried cleaning the lens? The inability to read burned discs is a sign for either a dirty or even a worn optical system.

I’m ready to give up and buy a usb burner, but can I boot off a usb drive to reinstall?
It depends. I own a Dell laptop (18 months old, which can boot from USB sticks, but it does not boot from USB optical drives. :frowning:
Perhaps you have a friend who can borrow you such an external unit to try.

That said, I would not rely on an external (stay clear from external slim drives) drive only. If cleaning the lens does not help, you may consider replacing the internal drive.

Michael

I’ll try cleaning the lens and reset the cables. The drive was making a loud humming noise today.