HP Laptop Windows Install

vbimport

Hi Everyone,
I have just purchased a new HP DV7-1195ER, it has windows Vista Home Premiumconfused installed, but only in Russian. I also have a HP DV1621ea, with XP Pro in english, original installation.
I was wondering if somehow it is possible to install XP form my old laptop to my new laptop,(I want to install XP on the DV7 is it possible).:confused:
Any info on this greatly appreciated, I am a novice so please explain clearly.
Thanking all in advance

Just install xp to the new laptop using the windows xp cd that came with the old laptop or didn’t it come with an xp install disc? If not then you will need to buy the xp setup disc.

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml

I just found this web site… do you think it will be able to help me with my problem?

2 things:

1. If Windows XP came on an recovery disc, it may be loaded with specific drivers of your old laptop only… As a result, it may not work on your new laptop. However, if it is an original Microsoft install CD, you should be able to install it on your new laptop.

2. if you install Windows XP on your new laptop, you will have to remove it from your old laptop. THe license does not allow it to be installed at two systems at the same time…just thought you should be aware of that.

1. Do you think it will be possible to find all the drivers on the internet for my new system, if i use the older windows version?

2. How would windows know if I have used the same key on 2 systems?

3. could I set Vista, russian version, on my old system, so the laptop is functional to give it to a friend.

Effectively swapping the the operating systems and licenses between computers, would this clear up all licensing problems?

Sorry for so many questions

[QUOTE=oconnor.khors;2168853]1) Do you think it will be possible to find all the drivers on the internet for my new system, if i use the older windows version?[/QUOTE]

I had to find the drivers when installing a new XP on my step-dad’s laptop, which came with Vista pre-installed.

What I did, was jot down all the device model names I could from Device Manager, and gather the appropriate drivers together off the net before I wiped the system.

Programs like Driver Genius or Driver Magician will find all your drivers so you can save them to disc.

You should be able to find drivers for most of the mission-critical hardware. Your biggest task will be getting the XP installation program to detect your SATA hard drive when you first run from the XP installation disc. [I’m pretty certain that you will have to buy a retail or OEM edition of Windows XP and cannot use the dv1621’s recovery discs on the dv7]. Your second-biggest task may be to find proper audio and video card drivers.

Many new laptop models use hardware for which there has been no official Windows XP drivers released. Some have managed to get around this by the use of modified drivers; others have managed to force Vista drivers on XP [but do not try this unless you absolutely cannot find anything after scouring HP’s website and/or the rest of the Internet for drivers that could work].

If you do decide to undertake this task, be sure to create the Recovery Discs for the dv7 and back up the SWSetup [C:\SWSetup] folder, which contains all of the drivers & pre-installed software for your system for Vista [some of which may work on XP].

There are 1 or 2 forums on the Web dedcated to notebook computers, and I know there are a few guides on these forums dedicated to setting up Windows XP on a newer Vista-based HP laptop. Try using a few Google searches to scour the web for these, ESPECIALLY drivers for the SATA controller that will allow the XP installer to detect your hard drive so you can actually install XP. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=oconnor.khors;2168853]1) Do you think it will be possible to find all the drivers on the internet for my new system, if i use the older windows version?[/QUOTE]
I am sure you can, but the recovery disc may not install on a laptop that is not the same as for which the recovery disc was made. Others in this thread will be able to help you more than I can

[QUOTE=oconnor.khors;2168853]2) How would windows know if I have used the same key on 2 systems?[/QUOTE] Activation with serial.
However, legality is not an issue of getting caught… Your intentions are good, but we have to abide by the law and rules of this forum, hence my comment.

[QUOTE=oconnor.khors;2168853]3) could I set Vista, russian version, on my old system, so the laptop is functional to give it to a friend.

Effectively swapping the the operating systems and licenses between computers, would this clear up all licensing problems?

Sorry for so many questions[/QUOTE]
I doubt that your old laptop will be powerful enough to work with Vista…

[QUOTE=Albert;2169240]You should be able to find drivers for most of the mission-critical hardware. Your biggest task will be getting the XP installation program to detect your SATA hard drive when you first run from the XP installation disc. [/QUOTE]

The OP may get lucky and find him/herself in the same position I did - I figured, without the appropriate XP SATA drivers, I’d have to set the lappy to IDE compatible mode in the BIOS - turns out, it came set that way anyway, so installing XP went fine. :slight_smile:

I thank you all for your input and help on this issue.
I have decided to bite the bullet and buy an English OEM version of vista ultimate 64 bit.
But I have listened and will use a driver tool, I will try both Driver Genius, and Driver Magician, before i try to install windows on my new Laptop, as for the old one i will use the manufacturer installed recovery partition to restore it before i give it away, if there anything i have missed please let me know.
I will pass the name of this site on to anyone who asks me for help as I think you guys are great…:bow:
Thank you all very much