HP Laptop suddenly won't boot

Hi.

I was given an HP Compaq nx9010 Laptop from work around early 2004. I only use it for typing, MS Office, Internet stuff like that.

Any way it was always running kind of slow but it’s been useful and hasn’t ever given me any boot up trouble.

So today I power it up, it boots in Windows XP like always. It freezes up in XP before I can do anything, I can move the mouse around but can’t do much else, can’t click.
So I restart it, It shows up the usual HP sign and asks me if I want to enter setup like it always does, than instead of showing the XP logo it says initializing or something. Any way I had to go out and couldn’t be bothered to see what was going on, so I shut it down.

Now It won’t boot. When I start it up it asks me if I want to go to setup, after about 10 sec of that the screen turns black and stays that way. Screen stays back until I give up and shut it down.
BTW I’m only a user on this pc because it was given to me from work they have an administrator account.

Anyone know what I should do?

Thanks upfront.

Hi,[QUOTE=NaMeK;2304836]
I was given an HP Compaq nx9010 Laptop from work around early 2004.
(…)
BTW I’m only a user on this pc because it was given to me from work they have an administrator account.

Anyone know what I should do?[/QUOTE]You could ask the IT guys of your company for help. It’s not clear if the laptop is now in your possession or if it is still owned by your employer. So I assumed, the latter is true.

I would try if it is possible to boot of a live Linux CD. Might not work if the admin has disabled booting from other devices and locked Bios setup with a password.

Michael

The laptop has stayed in my house for 5 years now, but I don’t own it. Anyway I want to solve this on my own.

I download Slax as you said, but just as I burned it I remember that the dvd-rom on the lap top doesn’t work. Now i don’t think I can’t boot from USB, because in Removable Disks in the Bios it only says floopy. But I’ll download the Slax usb version to try. I downloaded Slax because I read it was an easy to use highly rated Linux Live Cd.

I have an option to boot from LAN, can I set up a LAN between the desktop pc I’m using currently and the laptop and try to boot that way.

Also a friend of mine said because it doesn’t show the XP sign nor does it let me go to safe mode or anything It could be a hardware problem. Any chance of this?

Hi,

booting from LAN might work. I had used the terminal server that comes with Knoppix for that purpose.
But I am not sure if this does help narrowing down the issue.

I will not exclude a hardware issue. You may try this:
remove battery and disconnect the power supply. Then keep the “on” button pressed for a while.

If all that fails, then have your IT guys have a look at that.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2304955]Hi,

I will not exclude a hardware issue. You may try this:
remove battery and disconnect the power supply. Then keep the “on” button pressed for a while.[/QUOTE]

Didn’t work.

Now it’s not a hardware issue because now it show a message saying that there is something wrong with XP, it says something about “Load Needed DLLs for Kernel”

and stays that way.

I can’t boot for CD nor USB, I’ll try with a floopy later today. I’m think of removing the hard drive from the laptop and connecting it to the desktop pc I’m using right now and repairing XP that way. Are the cables the same IDE? Also the power cables?

There both a year apart I would think they would both use IDE because the laptop is from 2004 and my current pc is from 2005 and it uses IDE.

PS: Thanks for the advice.

For connecting a laptop HDD to a desktop you need an adapter (provided, both are IDE/PATA).

Michael

this may sound stupid but…
if you dropped it recently you may have to re-seat the hard drive or ram
but if you can get into set-up, load defaults and see what happens
that’s my 1 1/2 cents

I hooked it up to my desktop pc, when it starts up it checks and says “file record segment xxx is unreadable”. I can’t copy most files from the drive, it must be corupt or something.

I’ll do some research to see if I can save the data.

OK so I erased the Hard Drive, formated it, reinstaled XP on it while it was connected to my desktop PC along with MS Office and some other programs.

Now I put it back in the laptop and it won’t boot.

It says no OS.

When there is a OS and XP boots up fine on my desktop while the HDD is connected on my desktop.

Someone told me that it might have something to do with that the Laptop requires a specific copy of XP, the HP Laptop is set up in such a way that it won’t boot if that copy with that key isn’t instaled on the hdd.
The laptop does have a xp sticker with a key on the bottom. But I don’t own that cd.

Could that be the case?

Any idea what I should do?

1. XP Home ? XP pro ?
  2. It would need to be an OEM copy of the correct version of XP.

[B]OEM[/B], not Retail and not Upgrade.

You might be able to purchase a copy of the original Restore Disk from HP.
I just did this with a Dell restore disk on a Dell lappy and it worked perfectly.
Just like using an un-branded OEM copy.

If you installed the OS while in the Desktop then you also loaded the settings for the MOBO that is in the desktop. That is why it usually does not work doing it that way.

I would get a new CD/DVD drive or external drive and start installing the OS that way.

You might try making boot floppies on the desktop, copy WinXP CD to USB drive, boot to boot floppies and run setup from the USB drive.

[QUOTE=NaMeK;2308465]OK so I erased the Hard Drive, formated it, reinstaled XP on it while it was connected to my desktop PC along with MS Office and some other programs.[/quote]That was a not-so-good idea.

Any idea what I should do?
Do a repair install. The XP installation disc needs to be of the same service pack level as the installed Windows. In case, the HDD is Sata, then you need to change the settings for the Sata controller to not being AHCI.

Michael