Hp dvd840 lite-on

vbimport

Hi all,

I bought a few months ago an HP dvd840 and just recently hooked it up via usb to my dell dimension 8200. I cannot get the drive to be read by any of my dvd software…including nero, copytodvd, or dvdfab.

I tried to reinstall the drive and cannot w/ the drivers from HP.com ( I get a ‘can not initialize 2815 error’ ). The installation cd it came with is not being read by any of my other drives. I have fully uninstalled the nero oem suite as well.

My device manager window does show 3 drives - ( I had 2 cd rom drives built in the computer - and so the 3rd drive must be this hp 840 ).

I have successfully ripped dvd’s onto my hd and compressed them to fit onto a generic dvd media disk. The problem now is that I can’t find my dvd rw drive with any software I mentioned above to burn it onto.

I thought maybe it being a usb connection would have something to do with it? (Because when you open up dvdfab the first only drive available to burn onto is my e: lite-on ide drive, which is internal.

Im not sure if I included everything you guys would need to help, but plz feel free to be brutal w/ me cause i just wonna figure this out.

I’ve read other posts in regards to other hp dvd840 problems and have stopped specific services from running so it wouldn’t interfere (i.e anydvd).

thanks guys,
-chris

Don’t think your computer supports USB2 standard to start with.
Make also sure you get enclosure power connection okay.

hi - and thank u for replying.
What is ‘enclosure power connection’?
Regarding USB2, my device manager states that I have 2 usb slots:
Intel® 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller
Is this using USB2 technology or just USB ? From what I read here " http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm " - I think I do NOT have USB2 support w/ my system. Do you know if there is a way to update the drivers to support USB2 - or would I need an external usb hub or something?

Hi,

The power supply unit of your external device. External CD/DVD writers won’t work without that.

Regarding USB2, my device manager states that I have 2 usb slots:
Intel® 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller
Supports USB 1.1 only.

I think I do NOT have USB2 support w/ my system. Do you know if there is a way to update the drivers to support USB2 - or would I need an external usb hub or something?
This is a matter of hardware. You would have to install an USB 2.0 controller card. In that case, prefer cards with NEC chipset and avoid Ali based controller cards.

Michael

I think I’m confused as to what you guys are advising me in regards to the enclosure power connection…not sure what I have to do.

Also, do you think If I installed a usb2.0 controller card that it would do the trick, or do you think there is an overall problem with the external dvd drive and/or installation?

thanks again for ur help

Hi,

As your external unit came with its own Power Supply Unit, you’ll just have to make sure it is properly connected and working (of course). Nothing else was advised.

Also, do you think If I installed a usb2.0 controller card that it would do the trick, or do you think there is an overall problem with the external dvd drive and/or installation?
The drive should be recognized even at an USB1.1 controller, but it is useless there.

Is there any way to try the unit with another computer? So you could sort out if this is an issue with your drive or with your system.

Michael