HP DVD740 not burning Layer 2 of DL DVDs

Hello everybody! This is my first post on your forum.

Need some (hopefully) easy troubleshooting help.

Nero crashes in both Windows Vista and 2000 (I tried it on both) and renders my DVD+R Dual-Layer media useless when Nero tries to switch to the second layer. It’s always at the same point, and it locks up the whole computer and tries to slug through it for 5 minutes before spitting out an “unspecified hardware error” that is reflected as “Sense Key: 0x04 (KEY_HARDWARE_ERROR)”, it also spits out “Sense Key: 0x03 (KEY_MEDIUM_ERROR)” on a few (tried 5 times rendering 5 coasters) of the tries in the log.

Here’s my system:
HP DVD740i w/ Athlon X2 4200 2 GB RAM
MSI K9N-Neo F mobo
Windows Vista Business (also tried Win 2000 Pro)
using RI-Data media, made 5 coasters so far. Tried making the DVD an ISO first, with no change in luck.

My intuition and this log should tell me it’s the burner itself. Though, should I try cleaning the lens? I was thinking it wasn’t this because it dies at the same exact point every time.

It used to work with DL. Only change is that I’m now using Nero 7 and Windows Vista, but a quick try on Windows 2000 on the same system (and a different type hard drive) gives me the same result. Could it be Nero 7? Or am I right in thinking it’s the drive?

[QUOTE=d_money;1947575]Hello everybody! This is my first post on your forum.

Need some (hopefully) easy troubleshooting help.

Nero crashes in both Windows Vista and 2000 (I tried it on both) and renders my DVD+R Dual-Layer media useless when Nero tries to switch to the second layer. It’s always at the same point, and it locks up the whole computer and tries to slug through it for 5 minutes before spitting out an “unspecified hardware error” that is reflected as “Sense Key: 0x04 (KEY_HARDWARE_ERROR)”, it also spits out “Sense Key: 0x03 (KEY_MEDIUM_ERROR)” on a few (tried 5 times rendering 5 coasters) of the tries in the log.

Here’s my system:
HP DVD740i w/ Athlon X2 4200 2 GB RAM
MSI K9N-Neo F mobo
Windows Vista Business (also tried Win 2000 Pro)
using RI-Data media, made 5 coasters so far. Tried making the DVD an ISO first, with no change in luck.

My intuition and this log should tell me it’s the burner itself. Though, should I try cleaning the lens? I was thinking it wasn’t this because it dies at the same exact point every time.

It used to work with DL. Only change is that I’m now using Nero 7 and Windows Vista, but a quick try on Windows 2000 on the same system (and a different type hard drive) gives me the same result. Could it be Nero 7? Or am I right in thinking it’s the drive?[/QUOTE]Welcome to CDF’s:

Try some Verbatim made in Singapore +R DL discs. Use ImgBurn to build and burn you discs. It’s FREE :wink:

[quote=rolling56;1947578]Welcome to CDF’s:

Try some Verbatim made in Singapore +R DL discs. Use ImgBurn to build and burn you discs. It’s FREE ;)[/quote]

Hi, thanks for your quick reply.

I stopeed using Verbatim after I bought 10 pack of their DL and had at least 3 of them crap out on this same burner.

I’ll check out this Imgburn you speak of, also, or I may try K3b under Linux, since I have the ISO already made. I have spare hard drives all over so I don’t mind throwing OSs on there.

[QUOTE=d_money;1947587]Hi, thanks for your quick reply.

I stopeed using Verbatim after I bought 10 pack of their DL and had at least 3 of them crap out on this same burner.

I’ll check out this Imgburn you speak of, also, or I may try K3b under Linux, since I have the ISO already made. I have spare hard drives all over so I don’t mind throwing OSs on there.[/QUOTE]The thing with burning DL discs is to have the layer break set and ImgBurn does a great job of it. Newer drives have better firmware to burn DL’s. I’m ripping Eric Claptons new Crossroads Guitar Festival 2007 2nd disc right now to .iso with ImgBurn. Then burn it later with my Lite_on DH-20A4P. Works great!

Edit:
Hint ImgBurn is the same author for DVDDecrypter. Donate if you like it.

update:

ImgBurn spits out the same error, but it continued burning after the 2nd retry.

However, on Verify everything on the second layer fails.

But the DVD appears to be fine??!

I’m doing all of this remotely, so I will have to go home (about an hour from now) before I can actually watch the DVD to fully test it.

It comes up in the software DVD player, so something’s correct!

[QUOTE=d_money;1947688]I’m doing all of this remotely, so I will have to go home (about an hour from now) before I can actually watch the DVD to fully test it.

It comes up in the software DVD player, so something’s correct![/QUOTE]hmmm doing it remotely is something i missed but hope it works. If not buy Verbatim’s.

Thanks,
Why would it work on the 2nd retry? it looked like Nero tried it over and over again (the bar would reset to zero, the clock would reset 10 seconds for a while, etc)?

[QUOTE=d_money;1947699]Thanks,
Why would it work on the 2nd retry? it looked like Nero tried it over and over again (the bar would reset to zero, the clock would reset 10 seconds for a while, etc)?[/QUOTE]I haven’t used Nero since version 5. So no help from me sorry.

d_money, this is an aged OEM Lite-On drive from the dark days of Lite-On history. Time to buy a new burner.

[I]Off topic.[/I]

:smiley: I’m also burning remotely from time to time, (okay its my son burning for me). :bigsmile:

[quote=pinto2;1947703]d_money, this is an aged OEM Lite-On drive from the dark days of Lite-On history. Time to buy a new burner.

[I]Off topic.[/I]:smiley: I’m also burning remotely from time to time, (okay its my son burning for me). :bigsmile:[/quote]

sounds fine with me. so the HP is just a branded Lite-On?

figures.

Related to topic.

Not knowing what “ISO’s” you are burning it might also be a problem with layer break.
With PgcEdit you can set layer break where you like, this ofcourse with respect to layer 0 limits.

When burning image to DL media the best is to choose ISO’s mds (disc layout descriptor). Ofcourse Nero doesn’t support this.
And Nero is crap when it comes to image files anyway if you don’t use Nero’s own file extention (.nrg is it?, not using it and don’t know the name for sure).

OK here’s what happened:

parts of the DVD play, parts don’t.

I selected the layer break to a recommended point by ImgBurn.

still, ImgBurn spit out the same error in output: 0x04. I used ImgBurn with the VIDEO_TS folder.

I think time for a new burner, and one that handles the layer break properly.

thanks for the info on this, I didn’t know this was an issue with older drives.

The ISO didn’t have this information, according to ImgBurn, and thus explains why it wasn’t working with that. I guess it couldn’t agree with the point recommended by ImgBurn, either.

[QUOTE=d_money;1947728]OK here’s what happened:

parts of the DVD play, parts don’t.

I selected the layer break to a recommended point by ImgBurn.

still, ImgBurn spit out the same error in output: 0x04. I used ImgBurn with the VIDEO_TS folder.

I think time for a new burner, and one that handles the layer break properly.

thanks for the info on this, I didn’t know this was an issue with older drives.

The ISO didn’t have this information, according to ImgBurn, and thus explains why it wasn’t working with that. I guess it couldn’t agree with the point recommended by ImgBurn, either.[/QUOTE]Did you load the .mds file? That contains the layer break info. Read with ImgBurn and write with ImgBurn.

no mds file is in the folder… this is a downloaded DVD

[QUOTE=d_money;1947734]no mds file is in the folder… this is a downloaded DVD[/QUOTE]

Read the forum rules already?? :confused:

Buy some reliable DL media, means Verbatim, or it can never work.

[QUOTE=rolling56;1947729]Did you load the .mds file? That contains the layer break info. Read with ImgBurn and write with ImgBurn.[/QUOTE]oops i meant build then write with IB.

[quote=chef;1947850]
Buy some reliable DL media, means Verbatim, or it can never work.[/quote]

as I stated above, my experience with Verbatim DVDs = crap. They never worked well for me, Ri-teks have worked up until this point. Well, anyway, the new DVD burner (a Samsung) is in the mail and will be here around Wed of next week. I am confident that the burner is the issue, now.

Especially since ImgBurn and Nero both spit out the same error. at the same exact point (transition to Layer 2).

By the way, I like the ImgBurn program. Simple, advanced, and free.

[QUOTE=d_money;1948733]as I stated above, my experience with Verbatim DVDs = crap. They never worked well for me, Ri-teks have worked up until this point. Well, anyway, the new DVD burner (a Samsung) is in the mail and will be here around Wed of next week. I am confident that the burner is the issue, now.

Especially since ImgBurn and Nero both spit out the same error. at the same exact point (transition to Layer 2).

By the way, I like the ImgBurn program. Simple, advanced, and free.[/QUOTE]

Then your experience is opposite to that one from thousands of other users…
Just use the drive & media that works best for you, but with cheap media used please don’t come back posting problems. :bigsmile: :smiley: