Hp dvd640v driver needed (i think its a benq)

vbimport

i need the driver to my hp dvd640v, i bought it referb off amazon and it didn’t have a disk. i’ve tried just about all of the driver sites as well as benq and hp. its like it doesn’t exist :confused:

There is no such thing as a downloadable driver for optical drives.

Michael

You might need to purchase a copy of Nero and other DVD authoring applications at your local computer shop.

Brother Vlad

I’d say it’s most likely the drive isn’t hooked up properly.

Does the BIOS recoginze the drive when you boot up the computer? Have you verfied the master/slave jumpers and using an 80 pin IDE cable?

I’d say it’s most likely the drive isn’t hooked up properly.

Does the BIOS recoginze the drive when you boot up the computer? Have you verfied the master/slave jumpers and using an 80 pin IDE cable?i’m pretty sure it’s plugged in correctly, it shows up as hp dvd640v in the setup menu. but i says that i can’t find the correct hardware. i may have the jumpers wrong, but its the only drive on the cable. you put the jumper sideways for that right? when i open the lightscribe program, it doesn’t show up as an option for printing. i haven’t been able to try it for dvd reading/writing yet. i don’t have any dvd r disks.

There is no such thing as a downloadable driver for optical drives.

but there is no downloadable driver? then what do i do, i don’t want to buy a disk and find out it’s the wrong one.

If you mean horizontal, no. At least not in any of the drives I’ve had. The jumper should be vertical (ie, top of the jumper at the top of the drive and bottom at the bottom of the drive). There is a diagram that shows how to position the jumpers on the drive itself. On BenQ’s I believe it’s on the top or bottom of the drive instead of the back. It can be hard to make out sometimes since it’s etched lightly into the metal.

If you have it on the end of the IDE cable, set it to master. If you have it on the second section of the IDE cable, set it to slave. You could try CS (cable select) but I normally don’t do that.

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome to the forum compunerd92. :iagree: :clap:
For jumper settings [B]look here[/B]:
Tip:- If it’s the only drive on that cable. Have it connected to the end connector & the jumper set to Master.

Yes.

then what do i do, i don’t want to buy a disk and find out it’s the wrong one.
:confused: Could you explain furter?

[ul]
[li]For reading optical discs (accessing the contents using a file manager), all drivers are part of the operating system. Note: DVD-RAM is not supported.
[/li][li]For writing data onto writable discs (CD-R/RW, DVD-R/-RW; DVD+R/RW), you need CD/DVD burning software.
[/li][li]For DVD playback, you need a media player that is capable of playing DVDs. VLC Media Player is an excellent choice.
[/li][/ul]
So you may need additional software, but no drivers.

Michael