HP dvd640e DVD Writer with LightScribe Review

vbimport

Does anyone know if its easy/possible to open the dvd640e and install internally? I would love to put this in my system and install another dvd-r in the case and move that one around.

Thanks
Joe

I think it´s no problem, because internal and external drive is the same hardware.

I was thinking it would be but mostly wondering if anyone has done it. Im just not sure where the screws are, maybe under the rubber feet?

There are no screws.
You “peel” the rubber feet outward from the bottom.
The case just snaps together.
A little patience and you should discover the trick to getting the case apart.
At your own risk of course… :slight_smile:
Be aware that even though the drive inside the case is the same physically to the internal model the firmware versions are numbered differently and may contain differences.

Excellent thanks for the reply

I’m wanting to add an external writer so I can add the ability to burn DVD-R discs. The LightScribe feature looks worth having.

The comment that the HPdvd540e has poor DVD-R quality sort of stands out as a negative in my case. Do I understand correctly that this means I will get poorer picture quality with the HP, or does the “poor quality DVD-R” have to do with writing speed?

The Philips DVDR16LS looks like a much better choice, but I can’t find any evidence it’s available in the U.S.

The HP is available at my local CompUSA, which is helpful.

Thanks for any thoughts and advice.

Deane

@ Deane Johnson
The “poor DVD-R quality” statement comes from the fact that the drive coastered better than half of the DVD-R discs tested and the rest were of questionable write quality. Poor picture quality and non playable discs can result from this.

Again I want to restate that the drive was tested with the initial release firmware and there has been but one firmware update from HP since the review was finished. Improvements may or may not have been made in the second firmware. I was unable to test this as the drive was returned to HP after the review was finished.

My humble suggestion would be to get a BenQ 1640 and pair it with a printer capable of printing full color on your printable media. I use a Canon Pixma iP4000 with the CD printing hack and am very happy with the results it produces. YMMV

Seems like good advice. I think I’ll go with the BenQ 1640 as you suggest. I have one drive slot available in my tower. It would seem that the LightScribe feature is the tail wagging the dog and that I should first and foremost be seeking the most reliable writer I can get.

Can you direct me someplace I can learn more about printers for printable DVDs? I have a Canon i9900 and I doubt it has the physical layout that can be used to print on a disc. I went to the Canon site and they don’t mention printing on CDs or DVDs, so I assume it’s an aftermarket hack.

Thanks for your excellent help.

By the way, I don’t suppose there is a comparable external drive availalbe it there?

Deane

Try here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=146672

External BenQ 1640?
I believe the latest available BenQ external is the EW162U.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to acquire and apply the original shipping firmware for the HP DVD Writer 640i? I downloaded the most recent firmware patch and applied it, and now it won’t burn dual layer. I was hoping I could get my hands on the original firmware and re-apply it… it worked fine before I applied the new firmware.

Hi.
Nice to see you had no problem with this dvd burner…but tha’s not the same for me.
I got a Satellite A20, with P4 2.53 GHz, 1.21Gb Ram, Windows XP Pro SP2 and I’m using Nero 7.
I always have “writing errors” with Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4X (Expensives DVDs), Memorex DVD+R 16X and HP (!!!) DVD+R 8X. After few minutes, the burning process crashes down, at 2.4X, 4X, 8X and 16X writing speed.
But I never have any problem with Verbatim DVD+R 8X LightScribe (not the better price for a 10 DVDs pack) and Imation DVD+R 4X.
So, could you tell me if my problem is coming from my DVD burner or if it’s the same on all 640E…I think I’m gonna destroy it !

Thanks for your help, and correct me if I’m doing english mistakes…I’m french.