HP DVD1170e - crossflash possible?

[QUOTE=Algol;2772749]I saved the binaries. The drive is a 1170r with WH24 firmware. I could.[/QUOTE]

Great. Then please share them with us. Thanks! :flower:

OK, they’re together here.

[QUOTE=Algol;2772749]Thanks for your help, slipkid.

HH22 is the firmware version.

That’s the model number. You have an iHAS224 A clone.
[/QUOTE]

Wow. Cool info - thanks!

[QUOTE=Algol;2772749]

It might not be apparent, but it would be there. In System Information under Hardware > CD-ROM you could see the IDs for all your connected optical drives at once, with their firmware versions.

[/QUOTE]

OK, I misunderstood. I was looking in device manager.

I just ran System Information (msinfo32.exe) - been so long that I’ve done this type of stuff I didn’t even remember how to do it.

Under Components, CD-ROM, it shows this drive as this confusingly long string, of which I guess part is the firmware (?):

USBSTOR\CDROM&VEN_HP&PROD_DVD_WRITER_1270E&REV_HH22\201011061111111237D&0

Break it down at each ampersand.
&VEN_HP
&PROD_DVD_WRITER_1270E
&REV_HH22

Underscores replace spaces.
HP
DVD Writer 1270E
(firmware) revision HH22

[QUOTE=Albert;2772853]Break it down at each ampersand.
&VEN_HP
&PROD_DVD_WRITER_1270E
&REV_HH22

Underscores replace spaces.
HP
DVD Writer 1270E
(firmware) revision HH22[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Is there a way to set this drive to region 0?

Also, another question, can this drive be used for quality “scans”? I’ve never been able to get that to work - Nero Discspeed - also even Nero Infotool - won’t even see it. I guess that relates to it being USB but I’m not sure.

Can you set it (edit: I mean set it to a region) & see if you can just reset the counter (edit: which you can also do with the Settings Utility) instead of trying to make it RPC1 flat out? Just as a test. If you can set then clear the region, that might be workable, and you may not need to set it as RPC1.

Outside of that, you might have to do a software workaround with something like AnyDVD.

As long as this drive is based on a LiteOn (which we have shown it is), you can scan with it. The inability to see it because it’s a USB drive is down to a system quirk. In some setups, a drive not showing up meant you had to use a different ASPI layer, but I’m not sure if that applies to you. Does OptiDriveControl (a newer version of Nero DiscSpeed) also fail to see it?

This drive will do scanning.

The burn was set for 16x. But here the drive was connected to an adapter card port for the burn and the drive didn’t reach the targeted speed. Once on a motherboard port it behaved well. SmartBurn on, everything else off.

Thanks for stepping in again to help, Albert.

[QUOTE=Albert;2772871]Can you set it (edit: I mean set it to a region) & see if you can just reset the counter (edit: which you can also do with the Settings Utility) instead of trying to make it RPC1 flat out? Just as a test. If you can set then clear the region, that might be workable, and you may not need to set it as RPC1.

Outside of that, you might have to do a software workaround with something like AnyDVD.

As long as this drive is based on a LiteOn (which we have shown it is), you can scan with it. The inability to see it because it’s a USB drive is down to a system quirk. In some setups, a drive not showing up meant you had to use a different ASPI layer, but I’m not sure if that applies to you. Does OptiDriveControl (a newer version of Nero DiscSpeed) also fail to see it?[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I am kind of out of touch, never heard of OptiDriveControl. I have to look into that. Been using DiscSpeed for so many years (in my desktop PC with a lite-on drive, as opposed to this laptop). Unfortunately the lite-on in my desktop hasn’t been working right so I’ve not been able to do any scanning for awhile…

As far as setting the region goes, as I understand it, if I set it, then I can only set it 2 more times before the drive self-destructs (?). On the other hand, I only needed to use this as non-region one time (just this week when I was trying to read a region 2 disc - one of only TWO that I own), and as a workaround I just used the non-region drives in my desktop.