HP DVD1170e - crossflash possible?

vbimport

According to CDRlabs, it uses a IHAS422 with a MT1859LL
Which makes it an IHAS422 8

Ok, found the Codeguys patched firmware for x22 8 - so the 8 can’t be made into a labeltag one? - guess they hadn’t got round to it, if it’s the first revision of the IHAS.

So it’s firmware, then EEPROM fix?

I’ve backed up both, the tools do work on the drive in USB enclosure.

Am I on the right track?

Are you saying that you have a dvd1170e 8 drive? There are dvd1170e a (that’s A) drives.

[B]Matth[/B], could you please share your dumps with us?

And when we will see the dumps, we can tell the exact revision of your drive.

Ah, so there are others?
https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/a869cabd286353ac0ebaed0787b411b120151222215308/6d5d46afa73944016961fcbba8414d6020151222215308/12688d
Uploaded files to there, firmware & EEPROM

Thanks.

It seems to me that the drive is correctly recognized as Liteon iHAS 222 \ 422 8 (HP 1170d)
Format laser calibration data is OPU Hitachi HOP -H355L so it is possible that it was a different structure as DH22A8.
So there should be no problem with crossflash to LiteOn iHAS 222 \ 422 8.
Is this drive is?

Looks like it, just rechecked the label underneath…
Model dvd1170e-H02 8 (aha, does that confirm it’s an 8)
Manufactured March 2009

Failed to flash in external (no damage), now trying to figure out how the case opens … screws hidden under the feet, or clips somewhere … on the media I’ve tried, quality is not great, so hoping if I can take it to latest 422 it might handle average media types with adequate results, assisted by learn.

[QUOTE=Matth;2765434]Looks like it, just rechecked the label underneath…
Model dvd1170e-H02 8 (aha, does that confirm it’s an 8)[/QUOTE]

Yes. Here are examples. I can’t say that they provide a comprehensive overview of the variations.

MODEL               DATE		SERIAL NUMBER

External Drives
dvd1170e-H02 8      March 2009		Matth's drive
dvd1170e-H07 8      July 2009		29092940xxxx
dvd1170e-H07 a      October 2009	29094140xxxx
dvd1170e-H01 a      April 2010		26601550xxxx

dvd1270e-H07 a      May 2010		26602050xxxx
dvd1270e-H01 a      July 2010		26602750xxxx	
dvd1270e-H01 a      October 2010	26604150xxxx
dvd1270e-H01 a      November 2010	26604650xxxx

Internal Drives
dvd1170i-H01 8      March 2009		22291440xxxx

dvd1270i-H01 a      July 2009		3A992940xxxx
dvd1270i-H01 a      January 2010	3B800350xxxx
dvd1270i-H01 Y      April 2010		28801550xxxx
dvd1270i-H01 B      December 2010	22804850xxxx

[QUOTE=Matth;2766463]Failed to flash in external (no damage)[/QUOTE]

It’s not identical to your drive, but I have a [B]dvd1170e a[/B] that I successfully flashed to [B]dvd1270e a[/B], to [B]iHAS624 A[/B], then back to [B]dvd1170e a[/B] without any problems while in its enclosure.

Aha, Will try dropping back to my 32 bit Win7, maybe the flasher doesn’t like running in Win10 x64.

It worked… went with the FR EOHT version instead of the FR EOS SCR2
But wondering if maybe the FR SCR2 would be better.

Don’t want to overspeed, but wondering if EOHT or SCR/SCR2 is better, or indeed, if the SCR2 one also has EOHT but doesn’t mention it… Didn’t notice the non-EOS SCR2 until I’d already decided.

Want: Good result on average media - and since there are diminishing returns from going above 8X PCAV (almost CLV), looking for that speed/quality compromise point, rather than going hellishly fast .

PS. Flashed (but didn’t select bootcod … correct?)
EEprom - Converted.
Media Learn - cleared
Turned on options except overspeed

Do I convert again if I switch to a different Codeguys 422 ?

Converting the drive is only required when switching to a different drive model (crossflashing); now that you’re using the drive as a 422 8, no conversion is required when using other 422 8 firmware.

It might have not been required in the first place, depending on how LiteOn did the EEPROM codes for the dvd1170, but that doesn’t matter. :wink:

And correct, don’t update the bootcode.

As for which CodeGuys firmware to use…that’s up to you, based on how your drive performs.

From what I see, SCR2 (maybe the original SCR, as well) include some subtle use of Enhanced OHT by design – the drive recalibrates from 1 time (8x burn with only one strategy shift) up to 4 times (16x burn with 4 strategy shifts). I assume 18x/20x/22x get 5/6/7 forced recalibrations (with a strategy change every 2x increase), and 6x & below don’t benefit from SCR (one flat strategy used across the whole disc – CLV writing). This is similar to the way LG DVDRW drives recalibrate at their shift points, though the C0deKing LiteOn implementation seems a little more intelligent & less likely to ruin a disc. :bigsmile:

Paired with the normal Online HyperTuning, the always-on SCR2 technique should replace the need for Enhanced OHT; the most critical recalibrations are forced.

Sorry for dumb question, but I have this drive (an HP dvd1270e-H01a) as an external USB drive.

It is crippled as region 1.

Is there an ez way to set it to region 0?

Thanks in advance.

You can give Settings Utility a try.

If the drive is a rebadged Lite-On, Mediatek-based & not too new, Settings Utility will allow you to easily convert the drive to RPC1 or reset the region changes counters.

But it won’t work if your drive is one of the NEC-based Lite-On Y-series. Or if your drive is too new (the utility hasn’t been updated for a while - CodeKing retired).

[QUOTE=Ibex;2772271]You can give Settings Utility a try.

If the drive is a rebadged Lite-On, Mediatek-based & not too new, Settings Utility will allow you to easily convert the drive to RPC1 or reset the region changes counters.

But it won’t work if your drive is one of the NEC-based Lite-On Y-series. Or if your drive is too new (the utility hasn’t been updated for a while - CodeKing retired).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for replying.

This drive is dated from 2011.

I tried running this utility from that thread:

“Settings Utility for LiteOn Drives
Allows the setting of drive options, the clearing of OPC history, bitsetting and region setting, with the minimum number of mouse clicks.”

It appeared to work, that is it said successfully changed or whatever, but I don’t think it did anything.

One of the weird things is that I can’t “see” the drive with Nero Infotool. I wanted to try to get more info about it but not sure how.

Were you successful in finding the information you wanted? If not you might try ImgBurn. It provides drive information.

If you don’t mind checking, what firmware version does your drive have? That can be found without special software, in Device Manager or System Information. Also, what month was the drive manufactured?

[QUOTE=slipkid;2772259]Sorry for dumb question, but I have this drive (an HP dvd1270e-H01a) as an external USB drive.
[/QUOTE]

Could you do a firmware dump for us using the latest version of the Flash Utility (read flash option) and an EEPROM dump (backup EEPROM option) using the EEPROM Utility please? You can find both utilities in the sticky threads in this section of the forum. You can upload the dumps to a free host such as Zippyshare (no registration needed) and share the link with us.

Thank you :flower:

[QUOTE=Algol;2772469]Were you successful in finding the information you wanted? If not you might try ImgBurn. It provides drive information.

If you don’t mind checking, what firmware version does your drive have? That can be found without special software, in Device Manager or System Information. Also, what month was the drive manufactured?[/QUOTE]

Imgburn says it is a HP DVD Writer 1270e HH22 (USB)

I think the firmware is what’s written on the bottom of the drive on a sticker as “dvd1270e-H01a”.

Device manager gives no information about the firmware that I can find. Strangely it does say that the current region is “not selected”. So it appears not to even be set?? It does seem that it will let me set one (but of course “no region” is not an option).

Manufacture date according to that sticker is January 2011.

[QUOTE=cvs;2772621]Could you do a firmware dump for us using the latest version of the Flash Utility (read flash option) and an EEPROM dump (backup EEPROM option) using the EEPROM Utility please? You can find both utilities in the sticky threads in this section of the forum. You can upload the dumps to a free host such as Zippyshare (no registration needed) and share the link with us.

Thank you :flower:[/QUOTE]

Ok, think I got that stuff!

The EEPROM backup is here:

The flash backup is here:

Thanks for your help.

[B]Algol[/B], do you still have the original dumps from your [B]dvd1170e A[/B] drive? Could you please share them? Thanks!

Thanks for your help, slipkid.

[QUOTE=slipkid;2772703]Imgburn says it is a HP DVD Writer 1270e HH22 (USB)[/QUOTE]

HH22 is the firmware version.

[I]I think the firmware is what’s written on the bottom of the drive on a sticker as “dvd1270e-H01a”.[/I]

That’s the model number. You have an iHAS224 A clone.

[I]Device manager gives no information about the firmware that I can find.[/I]

It might not be apparent, but it would be there. In System Information under Hardware > CD-ROM you could see the IDs for all your connected optical drives at once, with their firmware versions.

[I]Strangely it does say that the current region is “not selected”. So it appears not to even be set?? It does seem that it will let me set one (but of course “no region” is not an option).[/I]

It looks like your drive isn’t region-free yet. At least, I thought that if a drive had been made region-free, the option to set a region for it would vanish.

[QUOTE=blackened2687;2772715][B]Algol[/B], do you still have the original dumps from your [B]dvd1170e A[/B] drive? Could you please share them? Thanks![/QUOTE]

I saved the binaries. The drive is a 1170r with WH24 firmware. I could.