HP DVD1040I - Lite-on firmware?

vbimport

I hope somebody can answer this one for me. I am currently in the market for a new DVD burner, and I would like to purchase the drive through Best Buy if possible. They list an HP burner, the DVD1040I, which,from what I could gather in the forums, is a rebadged lite-on LH-20A1H. My question is, if I get that unit, can I simply not install HP’s driver and software, and instead, download and install Lite-on’s drivers and firware, since it is a lite-on drive? Or am I stuck with HP’s firmware? Is there a drawback to using a rebadged Lite-on? Would HP’s firmware be up-to-date with lite-ons? Also, I saw an HP DVD1140I in Best Buy, but I can’t find out anything about that one. Is that the same as the 1040I? Or a different rebadge maybe? Any input here would be appreciated. Thanks.

Is there a reason why you want to buy from Best Buy and/or HP? There are newer LiteOn drives available on the web at cheaper prices. And say you do crossflash to a 20A1H, you would void the warranty if something were to go wrong with it.