HP DVD Writer 840i NOT detected AT ALL in 98SE

vbimport

It does NOT even show up in Device Manager, as there’s NO heading for ‘CDROM’ or anything similar. It’s as if i have NO optical drive connected to the PC. However, it works fine in XP Pro. The System Requirements say 2000 SP4/XP SP1, but that’s mostly for ‘lightscribe’ and possibly to burn DVDs, as well, right? All l want to do is at least read CDs, and preferably burn them, too, in 98SE. What can i do? Here’s my System specs:

Model: Dell Dimension 3100
Motherboard: Intel 915GV
CPU: Pentium IV 2.8 GHz
Memory: 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM
Display: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
HD’s:Serial ATA Drive: Seagate ST3160828AS (XP is here)
Parallel ATA Drive: Seagate ST3300620A (98SE is here)

Thanks a lot

Hi and Welcome!

Running Win98SE on i915 chipset? Hm. Are there any unknown components to see in device manager?
Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers from Intel installed. If that doesn’t help, you’re kind of lost.

Michael

I installed the Intel chipset driver v6.2.1, and the only devices NOT recognized are: Printer, sound, PCI-E slot, & USB 2.0. So, do you think the problem is 98SE NOT detecting the IDE channel on the i915 chipset correctly? One thing that’s missing is the ‘Disk Drive’ heading in Device Manager. The Hard drive is 300 gigs, but 98SE is installed on a 4.3 gig partition. There’s an “UNofficial Service Pack” for 98SE, could this help me? Also, i believe there’s a way to overcome the 137 GB HD size limit in 98SE, i’m not exactly sure how though…

Hi,
it seems as if your IDE controller is not properly supported on Win98SE. Maybe there is a special IDE driver provided by Intel. If not, there is nothing you can do.
As there is no more support for Win98, there is no hope for newer drivers.

Michael

You’re right. I just put the Hp DVD Writer 840i into my trusty, workhorse HP Vectra VLi8 PIII system (it has an intel 440 chipset, btw) and 98SE on there detected it fine as ‘HP DVD Writer 840x’ just like XP. I KNEW 2000/XP requirements were for Lightscribe, at the most. On the Dell, when i saw the ‘Disk drive’ heading missing from Device Manager, i was pretty sure 98SE is NOT detecting my IDE controller. Aren’t the chipset drivers considered a “special IDE driver”? I found them here Does anyone have 98SE working with a CD-RW/DVD-RW drive on a i915 chipset? If Yes, then probably the IDE controller on my chipset has been rigged by Dell to work w/ 2000 & XP ONLY. Or else there maybe a setting in the BIOS i have to tweak (of course, Dell likely removed many available BIOS options for the i915 chipset…)

Hi,

This depends on the manufacturer. Intel is different from Nvidia, and they are different from Via. So there is no general rule for that.

I found them here
I would really prefer www.intel.com as source for Intel chipset drivers.
(…) then probably the IDE controller on my chipset has been rigged by Dell to work w/ 2000 & XP ONLY.
No. This would be too expensive. They build their own motherboards, but the chipset is stock from Intel. I suspect, i915 isn’t supported at all with Win98SE. Maybe there is some information about that on Intel.com, or drop them a line.
Or else there maybe a setting in the BIOS i have to tweak (of course, Dell likely removed many available BIOS options for the i915 chipset…)
Yes, big computer manufacturers use custom BIOS for their mainboards, that’s right. Maybe there is indeed some BIOS option that has to be set, but as I am not familiar with Dell computers, I don’t know.

I have seen, that Dell has a support forum, it might be worth checking this out.

Michael