HP dvd writer 640b UPGRADES?

vbimport

This is my first post and I’d like to know how to upgrade my dvd driver. Do I need to instal new components? Please I really need Your help. Last week It took me to burn a dvd around 10 min. but now it takes 30 min.
i work either dvd decrypter or dvd shrink.

@ ruskin_arm

Welcome to our forum!
If burning a dvd takes now 3 times as long as it did before, it will not help to “upgrade” your drive (don’t know what you mean by that either).
I think you better start checking if dma settings are o.k. and working.
If not succesful, try to provide us with more info. Run Nero Info Tool, save it as .txt with all boxes checked and attach it to your answer using “go advanced - manage attachments”.
Good luck.

:slight_smile: Leo

Welcome to cdfreaks :slight_smile:

Make sure your drives DMA is enabled. You can use Nero Infotool to check this or Device Manager to check and set it.

Also check you hard drive is not too full or badly fragmented…

Edit: Two answers for the price of one. ldw just beat me :wink:

I’m sorry if I misexplained … I wrote down upgrade … I was trying to say update my firmware (I don’t know if it’s possible)…

I’ll check when I get home what you said …

Thanks again.

Thanks for your message … Like I said to Leo I’ll check it out tonight and I’ll let you know …

Thanks …

I’ve got this message … My write speed is in 1.4 or 1.5x …

Serial Number;Drive;Firmware
154;H?MJ;HP DVD Writer 640b ;E152

My DMA is enable … My DMA is enable (Primary and SEcondary)…

Remove it from the PC and install it again, if possible, using another connector and another cable.

How Can I do this? COuld you explain me?

Thanks

i have the same problem with the speed issues and i have DMA enabled on secondary and it says its disabled on primary and i was wondering how to enable it. since in windows device manager it says PIO and then it has auto detect the device greyed out. and it has also the DMA where avliable and it has in the box below current transfer mode - PIO. and i can’t enable i dunno how please help.

Hm… don’t you build your own PC? I mean connecting and disconnecting drives and boards. It does not require any expert or professional technique or knowledge, but just some experiences. Unplugging and re-plugging should be as easy as inserting and ejecting DVD disks.

Ruskin,

Here is the text of an email from Sonic tech support that solved the same situation for me. I ignored the remove software and the remove hardware sections and it worked. Also the offending registry entry reappeared and I had to remove it again yesterday. I hope it helps.

I just want to let you know before doing the steps below that you may need to reinstall any other burning software on your system after doing the steps below.

1. Create a System Restore Point

a. Click on the “Start” button, then select “All Programs”, then select “Accessories”, then select “System Tools”, then select “System Restore”

b. Make sure there is a dot beside “Create a restore point”, then click the “Next >” button

c. When prompted for a restore point description type “Before Sonic Troubleshooting”, then click the “Create” button

d. Click on the “Close” button

1. Uninstall RecordNow again (we need to uninstall it because a reinstall during the last step will rebuild some settings)

2. To export a copy of your registry, please do the following:

a. Click on the “Start” button, then select “Run”

b. Type “regedit” and click the “OK” button

c. Locate and left click “File” in the upper left hand corner of the Registry Editor, then click on “Export”

d. Choose the Desktop as the location to save the file in, and name the file “regbackup”

e. Also ensure that under the “Export Range” section there is a dot beside “All”

f. Click on the “Save” button

Your registry should now be backed up to a file named “regbackup.reg” on your desktop.

1. Remove the LowerFilters value

a. Expand the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or clicking the “+” next to it.)

b. Expand the “SYSTEM” Key

c. Expand the “CurrentControlSet” Key

d. Expand the “Control” Key

e. Expand the “Class” Key

f. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:

{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

g. High light this key by left clicking once on it

h. On the right hand side you are looking for “LowerFilters” under the “Name” column, once you find it please delete it by right clicking on it and choosing “delete”

Uninstall the burner drivers.

1. Reboot (XP will rebuild the drivers)

2. Reinstall the software using the clean install instructions

Title: Clean install instructions for RecordNow
URL: http://cs.sonic.com/scripts/texcel/swise/FAQ.dll?SD?wexwexuut

Try going to hewlettpackard.com choosing softtware updates, then run the automatic detection. I found the firware update to 16X dated 2005 instead of 2001 that way. I couldn’t find it on a direct product search but it came up indirectly when the automatic search ran my whole computer. You have to enable activex controls. :bigsmile: