HP DVD Writer 640b - Help!

Hi, I’m new to the group. I have a HP DVD Writer 640b dual layer. It was burning dual layer dvd’s last month and it won’t do it now. Since my warranty ran out with HP they won’t help. I did uninstall the driver and reinstalled but it still won’t accept the dual layer dvd. I can burn regular dvd’s but not dual layers. Has anyone else encountered this problem and what can I do to fix it?
Thanks, D

Hiya, your burner is a couple years old (and a rebadged BenQ DVD-RW 1620). Are you using a different brand or new pack of DL discs? Did you ever update the firmware of your drive? We’ll need specifics on both to help.

Welcome to the Forum & Happy Holidays! :slight_smile:

I’ve been using the Memorex Double Layer. The problem started a month ago when I had to reboot when the computer first starts. It doesn’t seem to register the dual layer dvd. I did download the lastest driver that HP had but it didn’t seem to help.

Thanks for the warm welcome and a Merry Xmas Eve.

If the problem’s only with DL discs, then Memorex would be the first suspect. They could be one of three MIDs and only one of these is acceptable quality: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php?dvdmediasearch=memorex&dvdmediadvdridsearch=&type=3&size=8.5&dvdburnspeed=All&order=Name&hits=50&search=Search+or+List+Media. Best advice is to try with some Verbatim DVD+R DL discs.

If you do get it to recognize one of the problem discs, could you post a screenshot like this (www.cdspeed2000.com). It will confirm the firmware version used and the manufacturer code of the disc. Or with the disc in another drive/other PC, it will at least show us the Media ID.

I went out Boxing Day shopping and picked up some Verbatim DVD & R DL’s. Right away it recognized the dvd and I was able to burn. Yippee Yahoooo!! So it is the Memorex that is a piece of crap. I hope where I bought the bundle will let me exchange them for Verbatim. Wish me luck. Thanks for your help.
:slight_smile: D

Good luck! :smiley: