HP DVD Writer 300n

I was burning a DVD recently and it hung up during the end of finalizing the disc and I had to do an END TASK on the application to cancel the process after letting it run overnight. Ever since that my DVD writer will not read any discs. If I click on it in Explorer, it just shows a blank window. It does not give me the message to INSERT DISC like my CD-ROM does. I have uninstalled it via Device Manager and restarted but to no avail. The drive shows up but it still will not read any discs. The green light comes on for a few secs then goes away. It would normally come up asking me what I want to do. There are no yellow exclamations in Device Manager and the drive shows as it should. By the way, here are some specs if anyone can assist:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer HP Pavilion 061
System Model DF253A-ABA A250N
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2600 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2600 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 3.14, 9/4/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = “5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)”
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 120.78 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.22 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Drive E:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded No
Media Type CD-ROM
Name HP DVD Writer 300n
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate Not Available
SCSI Target ID 0
PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMHP_DVD_WRITER_300N______________________1.25____\5&265FBC54&0&0.0.0
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), 48.38 KB (49,536 bytes), 1/3/2001 8:38 AM)

NEC 1300 clone.

What does NEC 1300 clone mean?

chef is referring to the fact that this is a Hewlett Packard rebadged version of a an NEC-1300, is thus a somewhat older drive, and for some reason it may not be recognising your blank media any more. There’s also the possibility it has failed through old age.

To help find out which of these is likely, can you answer the following questions:[ol]
[li]Which burning application were you using when the drive failed?[/li][li]Does the DVD writer recognise commercial pressed DVDs?[/li][li]Does it recognise CDs (either pressed or recordable)?[/li][li]What brand of blank recordable DVD discs are you using?[/li][/ol]Another point is that sometimes a simple restart doesn’t work for the drive to be detected after an uninstall through Device Manager. If you haven’t tried this already, you may have to shut down, wait a few minutes and then start up again.