Hp dvd writer 300c doesn't recognize blank dvd discs

vbimport

hi my names mark and im from leicester, :sad: i own a pc with a hp dvd writer 300c built internally into it and just recently i wanted to start burning onto blank dvd’s(this where it gets confusing)the drive plays dvd films,cdr’s,records onto cd-r,but if i put a blank dvd into it it doesnt recognise it?i got dvd-r,and dvd+r it doesnt recognise any of them???my friend burnt an iso file onto a blank dvd and it didnt recognise the iso or the dvd it was on???im using xp os,if anyone can help i’d be very very gratefull

What burning software are you trying to use?

when i highlight"my computer"and look at drive d it dont recognise the blankk dvd’s???or dvd’s what my friend used to put an iso on??can u help??doing my head in now lol

Yes, what burning software? Maybe you need ASPI? Go here and get the ASPI Check tool to find out: http://aspi.radified.com/

Anyway, that’s an old writer, +R only, a rebadged Phillips OEM. It might help to upgrade the firmware:

http://www.opendrivers.com/driver/213320/hp-dvd-writer-dvd300i-e-firmware-9k04-(300c-drive-revision)-free-download.html

Other comments on that unit:

http://forum.digital-digest.com/archive/index.php/t-41019.htm

And here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=96589

[EDIT] Dunno why the driver site won’t link, it appears to be correct.

If you don’t have any DVD burning software loaded, you might have trouble seeing any DVD. If you don’t have any, download WMP or better yet a trial version of Nero. It’s free for 30 days. But you better hurry. Their (Nero) getting ready to release Nero 7 and from what I read (won’t guarantee it’s true) they won’t be offering the trial version after it’s release. I kinda find that hard to believe but I did read it. But if you get the trial, you’ll get Nero’s A.S.P.I. so you won’t have to worry about that. Also make sure the drive is set to DMA and not PIO.

My HP DVD Writer 300c works fine, but recently I tried using a DVD-RW and it didn’t recognize it. Taking the advice from this forum, I downloaded the updated firmware, dvd300c_9K04.exe. But when I try to install it I get this message:

“SEVERE
This HP Firmware Upgrade utility requires that your original CD-Writer or DVD Writer software be installed on your computer. Please reinstall your original CD or DVD Writer software, and make sure HP RecordNow (or HP MyCD) has been successfully installed.”

My computer is almost 5 years old and I don’t know where that disc is. Also, the software was pretty crappy, and I uninstalled it the same day I tried it. Finally, I believe that the referenced software has nothing to do with firmware or drivers. So basically, HP is demanding that I find and install this 5 year old demo software before it will let me upgrade the firmware!

Is there any way around this?

[QUOTE=jorel777;2261241]My HP DVD Writer 300c works fine, but recently I tried using a DVD-RW and it didn’t recognize it. Taking the advice from this forum, I downloaded the updated firmware, dvd300c_9K04.exe. But when I try to install it I get this message:

“SEVERE
This HP Firmware Upgrade utility requires that your original CD-Writer or DVD Writer software be installed on your computer. Please reinstall your original CD or DVD Writer software, and make sure HP RecordNow (or HP MyCD) has been successfully installed.”

My computer is almost 5 years old and I don’t know where that disc is. Also, the software was pretty crappy, and I uninstalled it the same day I tried it. Finally, I believe that the referenced software has nothing to do with firmware or drivers. So basically, HP is demanding that I find and install this 5 year old demo software before it will let me upgrade the firmware!

Is there any way around this?[/QUOTE]

Hi Im Rob and my cousin was givin a desktop PC a HP pavilion a367c and i got it up and running it is equipped with dual cd-rom/dvd-rom drives one or two of them are burners ive been trying to make a slipstream xp disk to fix a compaq laptop that had the OEM vista removed and i need to burn a cd and the drive that should burn dosent recognize any disc u put in the darn thing but the bottom one dose, i used everest home to find out the manf. of the cd rom drive, im having the same problem i finally got the write firm ware but its asking for a original OEM cd rom installation plz help me b4 i explode

[QUOTE=HybridTec4;2491647]Hi Im Rob and my cousin was givin a desktop PC a HP pavilion a367c and i got it up and running it is equipped with dual cd-rom/dvd-rom drives one or two of them are burners ive been trying to make a slipstream xp disk to fix a compaq laptop that had the OEM vista removed and i need to burn a cd and the drive that should burn dosent recognize any disc u put in the darn thing but the bottom one dose, i used everest home to find out the manf. of the cd rom drive, im having the same problem i finally got the write firm ware but its asking for a original OEM cd rom installation plz help me b4 i explode[/QUOTE]

Please find and use the SHIFT key on the keyboard…

The CD you are talking about is under ©.