Hp dvd-ram gh80n

vbimport

I bought a new computer from a big box store and it came with a HP DVD-RAM GH80N [RF03].

I have spindles of Verbatim DVD-R 16x [MCC 03RG20]. Sometimes the drive doesn’t recognize the media is inserted. Sometimes it will begin to burn then error out.

Waiting on a spindle of Verbatim DVD+R 16x [MCC004], hope these burn better. If not I will replace the drive.

Anyway, can I crossflash this drive? Is there a patched firmware I can install?

[QUOTE=troy512;2657723]I bought a new computer from a big box store and it came with a HP DVD-RAM GH80N [RF03].

I have spindles of Verbatim DVD-R 16x [MCC 03RG20]. Sometimes the drive doesn’t recognize the media is inserted. Sometimes it will begin to burn then error out.

Waiting on a spindle of Verbatim DVD+R 16x [MCC004], hope these burn better. If not I will replace the drive.

Anyway, can I crossflash this drive? Is there a patched firmware I can install?[/QUOTE]

Your drive is an HP OEM flavour, and the RF03 is the only available firmware for this OEM model.

The GH80N is a Renesas chipset drive which according to the SATA Integrators list seems to be the equivalent of the following drives: GH24NS70, GH22NS70, GH70N, GH16NS80, GHA2N.

The drive uses a GH82L core, while the GH70N family of drives use a GH72L core, so a simple crossflash is not possible. That is not to say that a crossflash is impossible, just that it is more complicated to do.

We know that the GH24NS70 for example uses the RENESAS R8J32060FP2 chipset. Although the SATA Integrators list is very likely correct, if you’re prepared to be more adventurous and go for the more complicated crossflash method, it would be a good idea to open up the drive and double check first that it is indeed based on the same chipset. You might even find some GH70N references inside on the PCB if lucky.

The step by step crossflashing process which involves crossflashing the core as well, is described here: http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46780

Thank you for your reply.

The flash is more complicated than what I am used to.

If these new disc also error I will order a new drive. Then I will attempt the crossflash.

Any recommendations for a new drive. Typically buy online from newegg, amazon, tigerdirct, meritline, etc.

Optiarc AD-7280S/AD-5280S would be good.

LiteOn’s iHASx24 range also works well, from what we’ve seen around these parts.

If you’re going for Blu-ray, Pioneer’s BDR-207 lineup is a frequent recommendation. (I’ll steer clear of the LG recommendations, given your current situation).

Ive had good luck with optiarc drives in the past. Some reading reveals these drives to be good. only $18.00, im ordering one right now.

edit/

I received the dvd+r disc, performed 5 writes with the GH80N.
1st success
2nd failed
3rd success
4th success
5th success

edit//

the iHAS124-04 is also only $18.00, might buy one of these as well. Does this drive perform scans using modified cd-dvd speed 4.7.7.16 or would I have to buy opti drive control?

So i would use the lite-on for reading & scanning, and the optiarc for burning. This was always my setup on my old computer. Lite-on reading and various other drives for burning.

ok, so that was a dumb question.

[QUOTE=C0deKing;2309896]The best version of Nero CD/DVD Speed is v4.7.7.16.

If you are using a LiteOn iHAS drive, there is a special version I created:
http://upload.cdfreaks.com/liteon/tools/CDSpeed-SE3-47716.rar[/QUOTE]

Heh, sorry for the delayed reply. But glad you found your answer. :slight_smile:

Getting a LiteOn as a scanning drive wouldn’t be bad. :disagree:

I’ve got this drive and disassembled it today. Chipset is the same as in GH22NS70 (R8J32060FP2), but entire board design and optical pickup are different (GH80N uses HOP-7911L and GH22NS70 uses LPC-819R). Too bad I don’t have something to make decent photos… My phone camera doesn’t have autofocus and overall quality is terrible.

PS: HLDS table is coming soon…