Hp dvd media

vbimport

I have a HP DVD1140 with Lighscribe support. In it I use Verbatim DVD+R (always, after repeated failed discs with other brands). Recently I was given some HP DVD+R blanks and some HP DVD-R blanks as well. Today I thought I’d give them a try. Using DVDFab I got a sucessful burn message using the HP DVD-R discs, but they will not play in my stand alone player. When I use the HP DVD+r discs I get a sucessful burn message and these will play in my stand alone player. Question is: why one and not the other?

Probably your standalone cannot deal with (this) DVD-R media.

HP DVD media is probably of media code CMC MAG M01 (DVD+R) or CMC MAG. AM3 (DVD-R). These discs are known to be difficult, as not all burners have the required write strategies (use a burner that has some kind of WOPC) and some say their reflectivity is low.

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;2619891]HP DVD media is probably of media code CMC MAG M01 (DVD+R) or CMC MAG. AM3 (DVD-R). These discs are known to be difficult, as not all burners have the required write strategies (use a burner that has some kind of WOPC) and some say their reflectivity is low.[/QUOTE]

Seems to me an HP burner would perform at least on it’s own media. This is supposed to be a multi-format burner.
Anyway… like I said, they were given to me(quite a bit of them). I have learned from disc failures to use only verbatim.

[QUOTE=baggman;2620766]Seems to me an HP burner would perform at least on it’s own media. This is supposed to be a multi-format burner.
Anyway… like I said, they were given to me(quite a bit of them). I have learned from disc failures to use only verbatim.[/QUOTE]It’s not necessarily the burner’s fault as many many standalone players are quite picky. Especially the older more expensive ones, whereas cheap Chinese players will often play back anything you throw at them.

Verbies are good, and if you can find JVC or That’s brand media (both should be Taiyo Yuden, made in Japan) these discs are a good choice as well.

You don’t say what speed(s) you’ve tried burning the discs at?

Assuming these HP discs are indeed made by CMC as Evilboy suggests, then have you tried burning at 8x?

If the DVD-R are CMC MAG. AM3, then burning at 8x might do the trick. I tend to burn all my own CMC MAG. AM3 at this speed, especially for movie backups. As for CMC MAG M01, well…I tend to stay away from those LOL.

Agree with Evilboy re: the Verbies, but if you can use these HP/CMC discs and not let them go to waste then it might be worth giving 8x a shot. :wink:

However if it’s just that particular DVD-R make/brand your player doesn’t like, maybe use the discs for data storage instead.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2620835]You don’t say what speed(s) you’ve tried burning the discs at?

Assuming these HP discs are indeed made by CMC as Evilboy suggests, then have you tried burning at 8x?

If the DVD-R are CMC MAG. AM3, then burning at 8x might do the trick. I tend to burn all my own CMC MAG. AM3 at this speed, especially for movie backups. As for CMC MAG M01, well…I tend to stay away from those LOL.

Agree with Evilboy re: the Verbies, but if you can use these HP/CMC discs and not let them go to waste then it might be worth giving 8x a shot. :wink:

However if it’s just that particular DVD-R make/brand your player doesn’t like, maybe use the discs for data storage instead.[/QUOTE]

I burn the discs at 8x. I make all my burns at 8x which I myself consider to be a good safe speed to use. how can I tell what type of discs these are? As I said, I have quite bit of and if there is a way to use them for back up, I’d sure like to do so.

ImgBurn can show you the mid code on these disks. If you don’t already have it, you should, especially for use in DVDFab.

ImgBurn is free to download and use: www.imgburn.com

To find the mid code, put a disk in your drive, start up ImgBurn, click on any of the options, Discovery will do. Then in the main window of ImgBurn, on the right side, scroll down till you see [I]Disc ID[/I]. Next to that will be the manufacturer id code.

Thanks, Kerry.:cool:

Checked for disc ID using Imgburn.

HP DVD-R ID: CMC MAG, AM3

HP DVD+R ID: CMC MAG-MO1-00
Does this info help at all towards my quest to use these discs for back up?

Its probably not coincidental that the M01’s are the disks that are giving you trouble, and are the same ones that Arachne avoids. She and kg have tried more of the mid tier media than me. I would say she’s more experienced than me, but would rather not get kipper slapped.

If you have already tried burning them at 8x with no luck, its time to experiment a little. Make certain you have the latest firmware for your drive. Do a test burn of the M01’s at 6x in ImgBurn, and one at 12x. See if changing speed helps a bit. Slower is usually the way to go, but not always when trying to solve slight incompatibilities between burner and disks.

I think I’d use the M01’s as temporary disks…throwaways. Or give them to people you’re not too fond of.

Did a burn at 6x - played on two separate stand alone players.
Did a burn at 12x - played on one of the stand alone players but not the other( when the movie starts I am unable to advance/scan through the chapters. It skips chapters like this 1, 3, 21, then to special features). Slower does seem to be the route to take, but I don’t understand why 12x works in one and not the other…:confused:

[QUOTE=baggman;2621127]Did a burn at 6x - played on two separate stand alone players.
Did a burn at 12x - played on one of the stand alone players but not the other( when the movie starts I am unable to advance/scan through the chapters. It skips chapters like this 1, 3, 21, then to special features). Slower does seem to be the route to take, but I don’t understand why 12x works in one and not the other…:confused:[/QUOTE]

A number of factors. One thing we can “see” in scans that might correlate with the problems is jitter; M01 tends to have higher jitter. Also, some folks speculate M01 has lower reflectivity, which, with a mediocre burn (it’s possible more digital errors occur with a 12x burn than a slower speed) may lead to a drive effectively not reading the medium.

Sorry, been sorting out a possible house move over the last few days, but I’m butting in again now :bigsmile:

Glad 6x at least worked for you with the M01s - at least you didn’t have to dip to 4x or lower! :slight_smile:

I do agree with Kerry though, I’d use 'em (the M01s) for either temporary storage or give them to people you no longer want to be friends with LOL.

/me goes off to give Kerry the kipper slap he so wants :bigsmile:

Actually I had no problems with my HP 16x DVD+R (CMC MAG M01), as my LG GSA-H10N did make pretty nice burns (PIF max <4). It was my LiteOn SHW-16H5S that didn’t like them at all. I assume recent burners shouldn’t make as much trouble as older models do. And I’m mostly watching movies on my PCs, not on a standalone, so this is a non-issue to me.

Use the discs for storage of non-critical data, or as a second backup of critical data.

Wow, good to get so much advice on this matter. Been under the weather for a couple of days. Glad to know you guys hung in there with me on this matter. Don’t think I’d sting anyone with these. Will use them for data storage. Thanks again:cool:.

Feel better soon! :)…and regarding data storage, just keep checking them and you should be alright. Can’t speak for the M01s as I ditched the ones I had pretty sharpish, but other CMC discs I’ve used for that purpose (E01, AM3 etc) have fared pretty well. :slight_smile: