HP DVD media 25-pack for $3.98 at Staples

Came across this in the circular, almost by accident:

http://tinyurl.com/c8gsmm

Some Staples have old stock of 8x media, which I believe is CMC E01. Not a bad price!

First of all, this is AFTER REBATE. That’s a very important point you left out.

Second, you’re not going to get the 8x discs at this price. The sale will only work on the 16x, so forget about getting any AE1 or E01. The UPC codes on the spindles are different, and will ring up differently, and so the rebate will only apply to the 16x discs. This deal is only for AM3 and M01, which is average, but not great.

Maximum of 10 rebates per household.

Note that each rebate must be sent in a separate envelope.

Note, they are Easy Rebates that you fill out online, so no need for envelopes or stamps.

I do believe they want the form mailed even though it was submitted on-line (crazy system) but I’ll double check.

[B]negritude: I stand corrected - thanks for catching my error.[/B]

[QUOTE=negritude;2222489]First of all, this is AFTER REBATE. That’s a very important point you left out.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I forgot to point it out. But you can get 10 rebates, and it’s on-line rebate, nothing to mail and no barcodes to cut out. Staples rebates work like a charm (at lest they did for me in the past).

[QUOTE=negritude;2222489]Second, you’re not going to get the 8x discs at this price. The sale will only work on the 16x, so forget about getting any AE1 or E01. The UPC codes on the spindles are different, and will ring up differently, and so the rebate will only apply to the 16x discs. This deal is only for AM3 and M01, which is average, but not great.[/QUOTE]

Not true, I snatched a couple today at my local Staples Express during my lunch break :wink: The sale is for regular DVD media, not Lightscribe. The pic shows 16x media just for illustration. Of course, getting 8x on-line is a different story, so this is obviously in-store only.

[QUOTE=GKnight;2222556]Not true, I snatched a couple today at my local Staples Express during my lunch break :wink: The sale is for regular DVD media, not Lightscribe. The pic shows 16x media just for illustration. Of course, getting 8x on-line is a different story, so this is obviously in-store only.[/QUOTE]

Right, I know it’s not for LS. My point is that in the past, the non-LS 8x HP media has always rung up with a different price than the non-LS 16x HP media. Just because there was a sale did not mean you could get 8x AE1 or E01 at the sale price. However, if you’ve confirmed that even the 8x media is ringing up at the sale price and is eligible for the rebate, then this is a fantastic deal if you can find some 8x spindles. :iagree:

This is definitely a change from how things have worked in the past. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve gone into stores, and not just Staples, and would try to buy some older 8x media, even though their ads didn’t state a specific speed, and almost always the older media would ring up at a higher price, and I would be told that it’s 16x or nothing. Very frustrating, especially when no one but a CDFreak like me was even going to buy that old media. The average person would see that the media had a slower speed, and pass it by.