HP dvd 1070i

[qanda]This thread is about the HP DVD1070i. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi Gurus,

I just replaced my Sony DRU-190 that quit burning on me with a HP dvd 1070i. I had no issues with the Sony reading my media, but when I insert blank media into my HP when I’m using DVD Full Disk, I get an error message saying to enter compatible media. Sometimes the writer will close and open right back up without even checking the media. I kept my old DVD writer in my desktop as it still reads good. Any idea?

According to the specs in the link, this drive only writes +R single layer blanks at 2X! If that is true, it has no viable write strategy. Take it back and get an LG E55/E60 or something else.

:iagree: heck it burns D/L faster then the S/L :eek:

Unfortunately, the link contains a typo and was c&p’d onto the cdf website with the error.
This burner will write +R media at 20X.

Here are the specs:
Model
Brand HP
Type DVD Burner
Model DVD1070i
Performance
Cache 2MB
WRITE Speed
DVD+R 20X
DVD+RW 8X
DVD-R 20X
DVD-RW 6X
CD-R 48X
CD-RW 32X
DVD+R DL 8X
DVD-R DL 8X
DVD-RAM 12X
READ Speed
DVD-ROM 16X
CD-ROM 48X
Physical Spec
LightScribe Support Yes
Form Factor 5.25"
Panel Color Black
Configuration
Load Type Tray
Interface SATA

I would do one of two things…or both.
Check and update the firmware from HP. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but hp firmware sucks. The burner itself probably is decent…I don’t have the time to track the manufacturer down right now, but it should be easy.

Secondly, and maybe do this first, switch your burn engine to Img.
Many of us have switched
I’m guessing you’re using VSO…the default burn engine for Fab.

In the event you don’t already have Img, you can download it right here:

http://www.imgburn.com/

Let us know how you make out…someone is usually around to help

It’s already packed back up. I will be taking it back tonite!!! I looked up LG E55 but couldnt find it anywhere. I did find an LG GH20LS15. Any good?

I checked HP’s site for firmware and drivers and found nothing. I also tried switching the burn engine to Img and still no luck. I can’t get the drive to recognize my media. I’m using Sony DVD+R and Memorex DVD+R.

[QUOTE=Smeeff;2206816]It’s already packed back up. I will be taking it back tonite!!! I looked up LG E55 but couldnt find it anywhere. I did find an LG GH20LS15. Any good?[/QUOTE]

Dunno, I don’t have any LG’s, but plenty of users swear by them including signals.

I’d take a look at newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010100005%2050001623&name=LG%20ELECTRONICS

and right here on cdf:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f91/

The E55 may be discontinued, but I thought I saw a GSA-E60L external (like the one I have) in BestBuy the last time I was there. Sweetest DL burns you’ve ever seen. Not even much green on the Quality scans, just the sweet, sweet blankness of no errors. :slight_smile:
There are many good burners out there–if you’re looking around, get one that supports bitsetting for booktype=dvd-rom, not all do.

Thanks for all the help. I will be getting a new one tonite.