HP commits to Blu-ray with Blu-Ray drives in PCs by late 2005

I just posted the article HP commits to Blu-ray with Blu-Ray drives in PCs by late 2005.

In an aim  to promote the Blu-Ray disc format further, HP is one of the first to announce  adding Blu-Ray drives in its desktops late 2005 and even its Laptop PCs from  early 2006.  The...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9449-HP-commits-to-Blu-ray-with-Blu-Ray-drives-in-PCs-by-late-2005.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9449-HP-commits-to-Blu-ray-with-Blu-Ray-drives-in-PCs-by-late-2005.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

:S Listen, three things. Blu-Ray is not “the standard”, the DVD Forum already decided HD-DVD is. :r Second, HP and Dell always push for the “other” format rather than the standard, so they support +R drives many times instead of both ±R. :c And lastly, HD-DVD is backed by PC makers, NEC etc, so if Blu-Ray is coming to PC’s this DOES NOT mean that HD-DVD will go to Hollywood. In fact, this is bad for HD-DVD because Sony (backing Blu-Ray) owns somewhere like 30-some% of the mainstream blockbuster movies. Henceforth ALL of their High Def content will be on Blu-Ray. :d So now we have Computers using Blu-Ray, Movies using Blu-Ray, PS3 using Blu-Ray, and all the while HD-DVD is hoping to still catch some fish with its little pole and no bait. Even worse for HD-DVD is that Blu-Ray discs are clean for the environment, and Sony has built a tri-beam laser with one laser diode that can read and burn CD’s DVD’s and Blu-Ray content. The only hope for HD-DVD is to combine within the same drive as Blu-Ray.

Yeah, let them fight it over. Competition is good. We will get the high density stuff sooner and cheaper. If it wasn’t for the +R camp, you would still pay $500 for a 4X burner and $5 for a SL blank. Competition = happy consumer

Yeah, let them fight it over. Competition is good. We will get the high density stuff sooner and cheaper. If it wasn’t for the +R camp, you would still pay $500 for a 4X burner and $5 for a SL blank. Competition = happy consumer

Why did it post twice. Must be one for HD-DVD, and one for Blu-Ray.

Well the first DVD Tech into alot of peoples houses was a PS2 and as such the first Blue Laser Tech into peoples house will be HD-DVD in the Xbox 2. After all it’s consumers who make or break a format by what they buy not PC vendors and not Hollywood. There was talk of a VHS/Betamax style war with the whole +r -r thing where did that go? Consumers will want a device which plays both, if indeed both formats take off
[edited by ikea on 17.11.2004 12:45]

I am backing Blu-ray but I hope that both formats survive. Consumers love competition! :slight_smile: It drives prices down and it spurs advances in technology. As a previous poster said, without the +R format, blank DVDs and drives would still be terribly overpriced. And just as with the -R and +R format war, maybe we’ll eventually see a hybrid Blu-ray/HD-DVD drive.

I think everyone here is right about competition is good but Electrox3d is a bit off. For one playstation2 is tanking compared to Xbox. Microsoft wouldn’t back its now arch rival Sony and go with Blu-Ray. Its not going to happen as for Hp there like a “turkey” that by the way can drow themselves by staring up at the rain, They support anything until they find-out there almost bankrupt again anyone remember the Itainium or those crappy Burners HP makes they should just stick with printers. Microsoft’s Xbox is currently out performing the Playstation2, its a overall trend however jap gaming firms are losing and have been now for a couple of years to US Firms EA GAMES, Bungie, Rockstar GAMES. To say that Microsoft :d isn’t a big threat to Blu-ray would be a big mistake, considering that it is releasing Xbox2 before Sony release’s PS3 and Microsoft is the richest company in the world, it has a lot of influence Electrox3d. So HD-DVD is not fishing with what you call a small poll and no bate, its got the biggest fish in the sea on its poll. Blu-ray’s problem right now is price, no matter what anyone says about O mass this production of Blu-ray the fact is that the companys still have to buy all new factorys to produce Blu-ray lasers and discs. Were as current dvd production facilities can simply moddify there original equipment to produce HD-DVD lasers and discs. Currently the price of a Blu-Ray burner the Sony BDZ-S77 costs $2,039 & $35bucks per disc. I think in the end it will come down to the publics wallet and there not going to pay extra for the same movie in High Definition just because it uses Blu-ray so they will feel all warm and toasty knowing that it has a blue laser lol. The truth is most poeple won’t know what Blu-ray is and when they go to buy a new DVD player because there old one broke they’ll do what all Americans do, go to wallmart and say I want to get a new “DVD” player not Blu-Ray “DVD” so the customer service will show them one the HD-DVD player and they’ll buy one. What I’m trying to get at is the name recognition of 'DVD." As for Sony owning 30% of the mainstream blockbuster movies lol I think you need to start renting movies again or the next time your at McDonalds check there DVD keyosk and count again. :S

speaking for myself, I hope the best rewritable format wins and drops in price considerably. I’m kind of happy about the competition, too. Probably means lower prices sooner. A pure movie format is irrelevant garbage to me, and the HD-DVD format looks to be too short-term to base the next 10 years or more of storage to that format.