Can your iPod battery life be restored with a format?

There is
an article over at Wired involving the review and testing of a user replaceable battery for 1st and 2nd generation iPods. The 2100 milliamp hour battery can give your iPod an amazing 22 hour playtime. That's pretty cool and it's only 40 dollars. But what caught my eye was something even better, a real end users tip for battery life restoration and it's free!

ADVERTISEMENT

Acquired in October 2001, and in almost daily use, my iPod was down to two or three hours of continuous play from a battery originally rated for eight to 10 hours.

Before breaking it open, I updated the iPod's firmware, choosing to wipe the drive while doing so. Oddly, this operation restored the battery to its former glory. After loading up a selection of songs and hitting "shuffle," the iPod played for 8.5 hours continuously, almost to the minute.

When asked about this on an earlier occasion, Apple Computer's iPod product manager, Danika Cleary, said she'd heard lots of reports, but she didn't know why it worked.

ADVERTISEMENT

I guess if you're an iPod owner, possibly this is common knowledge. But just in case it isn't we thought we would pass it along. The author at Wired put forth a theory that a complete format possibly resets the batteries "digital calibration" , but I'm not quite buying it. There's something else going on here. Maybe a reader here has a better theory or has heard what's taking place. Plus, this guy updated firmware at the same time he wiped the drive, so he actually did two things. Very hard to know what did the trick without more testing. Aside from that, you may also wish to visit Wired to read about the battery replacement article and learn how to get at the little bugger.

Source: Wired

ADVERTISEMENT

No posts to display