HP CD Printer

vbimport

Hi. I’m in the market for a CD printer I see that the Epsons and Canons are highly recommended, but I was curious what everyone thinks or if anyone has any experience with the following HPs:

C8180
C5280
C5360
C5160

Thanks!

If the silence is an indicator, I guess you have an answer.

No body has had anything good to say about the HPs. In particular the disc print software is pretty bad. So if you consider an HP printer, assume you will need additional 3rd-party software for disc printing. Surething is a popular one.

In general, I’d suggest that you consider everything ELSE that you need the printer to do and use that for making your decision. Canon usually wins most contests, regardless of what criteria you use. If you don’t need it to do anything but discs and photos, the cheaper Epsons are fine.

I have been using the HP C5280 for some months now and I’m very satisfied with all its features, most specially with the [U]cd printing[/U] which I use a lot combined with Shurething labeller 5. No problem whatsoever and a fantastic printed quality. I recomend this machine.

I’m happy with my HP D5160 but I’ve only used it a few times in the 2 months I’ve had it.

[quote=CDan;1997850]If the silence is an indicator, I guess you have an answer.

No body has had anything good to say about the HPs. In particular the disc print software is pretty bad. So if you consider an HP printer, assume you will need additional 3rd-party software for disc printing. Surething is a popular one.

In general, I’d suggest that you consider everything ELSE that you need the printer to do and use that for making your decision. Canon usually wins most contests, regardless of what criteria you use. If you don’t need it to do anything but discs and photos, the cheaper Epsons are fine.[/quote]

As far as the Canons and the Epsons go what should I be looking at? I’ve heard from several people that the print heads clog on the Canons because they’re not on the cartridge and that the Epsons are just junk. Is that true?

Canon/HP: What’s the price for ink-per set of carts?

Knowing HP,probably an arm and a leg?

My Epson R-200 and R-300: Last 2 batches, 1 set of 6 ink carts ran under $10. Very easy to find a CIS for these printers for the high volume users. CIS=Continuous Ink Supply. These are very economical printers,and hard to find now-ebay.

The R-360 and above,up goes the price for generic ink.The print quality should be better though.

If printing a high volume of discs,then the older epsons may not suit your needs. Lots of problems with tray feeding and ejecting. Sitting idle for long durations is when both mine act up. I have no trouble with the cheaper generic ink.No clogged heads,faded colors,and dries to the touch in minutes.

There’s some awesome inkjet printable media out there: Full hub shiny and Ty watershields. So the quality covers are getting better with the improved selection of inkjet printable media.

[QUOTE=cardnut99668;2016728]As far as the Canons and the Epsons go what should I be looking at? I’ve heard from several people that the print heads clog on the Canons because they’re not on the cartridge and that the Epsons are just junk. Is that true?[/QUOTE]The newer Epsons are producing some bad reports for sure. Pretty bad when Epson doesn’t even want the printers back on warranty returns. As far as printhead problems with the Canons generally only with junk ink, or at least ink not intended for them. I’ve owned an IP4200 for a while and never had issues, even though I ran the printhead dry a couple times. Canon’s low cost printers have the printhead on the cartridges. Canon’s chip on the carts can be a slight pain, since there’s no resetter or auto reset chips available and you lose ink monitoring if you refill.

I’d prolly recommend a Canon despite having a Epson CX4400 and not having much in the way of issues with it. Haven’t heard anything good about the recent HP printers.

I bought a Epson Stylus R280 6 weeks ago and printed less than 12 CDs and only in black on the wihtie CD. Nothing more than the song titles. 4 days ago it said that 2 of the color cartridges were out of ink and would not print anything even in black and white. Epson reply to that was that everytime you boot up the printer it uses a small amount of color ink. O.K, then why is it not out of black in as that is all that I have used? Same pat reply 3 times. I put each one ot the cartridges on a gram scale and what do you know, all the color ones weight the same and the black was much less. Epson then said I had defective cartridges. $30.00 for 2 new ink cartridges and now it is saying that the news ones are out of ink and the yellow is out of ink as well. I am sure the way it is going if I buy a yellow one it will say the red is out or something like that. Epson’s solution…sent the printer to them and they will check it out. Sure…spend $35.00 more to ship it to them after I have already spend $30.00 that was not needed and the printer is still under warranty as it is only 6 weeks old. Buy a Epson? Are you crazy?

[QUOTE=sailaway;2241015]Buy a Epson? Are you crazy?[/QUOTE]

The excessive use of ink on head cleans was one of the reasons why I stayed away from Epson. You found that out the hard way though; I learned it from CDan. :wink: