HP 520N Firmware on ND-2500A

Hi all. I would like to know if this TDB HP520n firmware has the same DVD+RW issues like Herrie firmware ( wich is also based in this HP 520n, right?) Im asking it because i work a lot with +RW media but i need bit setting. thanks :wink:

Hi!

I can’t complain about this firmware. I got some of the best results on +RW with it.

Here is one Platinum DVD+RW 4x (Philips 041) burned @4x:

…and here is a Platinum DVD+RW 4x (RicohJpn W11) burned @4x:

Legnerp

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile: that seems nice. And how about bit setting? Works fine?

I’m curious which f/w Legnerp already used and approved?

Hi!

Bitsetting is no problem on RW media. You can change the booktype whenever you want…

I think I have tried every firmware that is out for the NEC ND-2500A so far…
I have used this HP520 firmware 2.21 from TDB for a long time, now I heard that bitsetting should be possible with the NEC ND-2510A 2.15 firmware as well with the next upcoming NERO version (german c’t magazine writes that), so I’m using this one at the moment.
For some media (e.g. RiTEK G05) I flash to the older 1.06 firmware, that includes the 8x write descriptor, which newer firmwares don’t (except Herries both newest ones). For RicohJpn R01 I’m going with Herries v2b4 or v2b5 to write them @8x:wink:

Legnerp

really? so is it no more necessary an hacked fw?
very great news!

Hi!

First we have to wait for the next NERO version to get a proof on this (currently the retail package of the ND-2510A contains a still unreleased 6.3.1.16B, that’s what the magazine tells).
Second: If you use a 2510A firmware on the 2500A, you are still using a hacked firmware…

Legnerp

Ok Legnerp, the most important for me is good DVD+RW support and bit setting ( mostly for DVD+R media). For now, i dont care about DL write support and “overclocked” :bigsmile: media. I will try TDB HP520 firmware. About Nero bit setting support in future versions, thats nice, but why we need 2510a firmware to bit setting?

This is good? this is my first scan. It was burned with my Nec 2500a and was scanned with a Liteon HD163 DVD-Rom. Media from TDK DVD+R 4x RICOHJPNR01

Hi!

Your scan is great! I don’t think it can be much better with RicohR01…

I don’t know if we need the ND-2510A firmware, but that is the one the magazine is talking about… they don’t mention if it is possible with other NEC firmwares…
Let’s wait and see… :wink:

Legnerp

Thanks, nice to hear that. This was burned with stock 1.07. I will burn a Verbatim -R 4x with this TDB HP 520n and post my scan. Yes, let’s wait, i will do a search about it.

I flashed to TDB HP520n and burned Verbatim DVD-R 4x MCC 01RG20. Not very good, i think.

Hi!

It’s not perfect, but very good, though…

The PI maximum is far from 280 and the POs don’t increase to the end of disc. Try to record the reading curve in your DVD-ROM! If it doesn’t slow down while reading, then you know for sure…

You burned it @8x, I guess? The speed changes are visible, from 4x to 6x at 20% and from 6x to 8x at 50%. If you burn it at the certified 4x speed, then it’ll look like the first 0,8GB all over…

Legnerp

So you say that when PI is under 280 its’ fine? sorry but im new in this :slight_smile: About the record speed, its was at certified 4x. I will get some +R and +RW to compare with stock 1.07 firmware.

It’s not a bad scan but I would expect the Verbatim to scan better than a Ricoh R01 on my brave old Liteon 811S (PI max in the 100-140 region).

This is very good. May be it’s your batch of TDK Ricoh’s.
My Fuji, Traxdata branded Ricoh batches make regularly 100 PI max. The Infinitys around 70.

Hi!

Oh, then it looks coincidentally like it was burned at 8x… :o

Yes, a comparison with firmware 1.07 would be interesting. Please don’t only trust these error scans, record the reading curve as well, please!

Legnerp

You mean this? again Verbatim -R 4x MCC

Now TDK +R 4x RICOHJPNR01 ( burned with “old” stock 1.07 firmware)