HP 1140 dvdrw with lightscribe

Hi,
I am not only a newbie at this but also a baby at it so please bare with me. I purchased a HP 1140 dvd rw with lightscribe. Once installed on my computer ( it came with a copy of Nero) I wrote to several dvd disc and everything worked fine. I also have a cdrw drive installed on the same computer.
I am not sure what happened, but 3 or 4 weeks ago, all of a sudden my computer started reading the dvd drive as a cd drive only. I can uninstall the dvd player, reinstall it and untill I put a blank disc into the drive and after it completes the initial phase of reading the disc, it automatically takes the dvd drive to a cd drive. My driver is up to date.
I know this is not much to go on, I am using a XP operating system, SP3 and IE. The dvd drive is the master with a cd rw as the slave.
Any ideas.
L. Phillips

That is normal for Windows to show a DVD burner as a CD when a blank disc is inserted.

I need a update for my hp dvd 1140 drive because when you put in a disc it doesnt read the disc nothing happens and this is the second one i put in in a year. same brand same model. HEEEELLLPPP!

Have you actually check the HP site for firmware updates?

[QUOTE=pnicks85;2504578]I need a update for my hp dvd 1140 drive because when you put in a disc it doesnt read the disc nothing happens and this is the second one i put in in a year. same brand same model. HEEEELLLPPP![/QUOTE]

Test the drive on another computer first or try booting from a bootable CD and DVD…