Howdy

vbimport

Greetings group:

I’m here for several reasons. I’m fairly new at all this; I probably have 25 burned DVDs under my belt, and I have questions. I also want to discuss deceptive software (/hardware) and underhanded practices. I’d like to learn more about who/what to avoid and what really works.

BTW, I’m 57, live in Wyoming, am on temporary worker’s comp (so all I do is sit around getting fat and watching Youtube). 3 cats; 7 ferrets burried outside.

Also, as you may have guessed, my real name does not have so many a’s or r’s in it. Hey, you do what you have to, right? hehe:wink:

Gary

[QUOTE=Gaarry;2683079]Greetings group:

I’m here for several reasons. I’m fairly new at all this; I probably have 25 burned DVDs under my belt, and I have questions. I also want to discuss deceptive software (/hardware) and underhanded practices. I’d like to learn more about who/what to avoid and what really works.

BTW, I’m 57, live in Wyoming, am on temporary worker’s comp (so all I do is sit around getting fat and watching Youtube). 3 cats; 7 ferrets burried outside.

Also, as you may have guessed, my real name does not have so many a’s or r’s in it. Hey, you do what you have to, right? hehe:wink:

Gary[/QUOTE]

Welcome Gary you won’t be the only over 50 here in fact there’s a few a little older as you will find out.And not the only over weight … We have 2 cats and at one time had four ferrets(white ones)so welcome to the club ,make yourself at home

[/QUOTE]

I will say just do some search on here for the software your curious about and they most likely have some discussion about the Pro/Cons of it and there are some that are down right now worth the paper they are printed on and some that works but will cost a pretty penny to buy them. I know of two software that has a good reputation behind them and one of them I own their packages software for my uses. DVDFab and Slysoft Software are the two that come to mind that works on CSS DVD and Anydvd HD that works on BD movies. But in the end what you buy and want to use is up to you to decide on. But there’re healthy debates on the software if you look at the discussion on the Software Thread area.

Gary[/QUOTE]

Hi Gary and welcome to the forums. :flower:

Ask away and I’m sure we’ll all do our best to help you out.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks for the welcome and the tips, all.

If I can just get past the toggling tray prob, everything else seems to be okay now. I just watched the latest DVD I burned for my neighbor on my new DVD writer (“Malibu’s Most Wanted”), and it turned out perfect. I’m downright impressed. Now, if I can just get rid of the last remaining parts of Nero (now causing problems), I’ll be set.

Gary

[QUOTE=Gaarry;2683109]Thanks for the welcome and the tips, all.

If I can just get past the toggling tray prob, everything else seems to be okay now. I just watched the latest DVD I burned for my neighbor on my new DVD writer (“Malibu’s Most Wanted”), and it turned out perfect. I’m downright impressed. Now, if I can just get rid of the last remaining parts of Nero (now causing problems), I’ll be set.

Gary[/QUOTE]

There is revo uninstaller by which some have used to find and remove all pesky uninstalls that doesn’t completely remove the program and also I think Nero has a uninstaller program to find and remove all traces of Nero program.

Thank you, I’ll look into that. I removed all the obvious stuff (took 30 minutes), then I searched my comp for “Nero” and found a whole bunch of it and deleted it all.

Why did it install three (“redistributable”) versions of C++??? All of it together was over a Gig.

Anyway, now I know (that Nero is an underhanded criminal scam).

Hi I am also new to the site guys. Jaxon here. :slight_smile:

Howdy Doody! Welcome. Like your name.

Redistributables… boy… probably not enough disk space to give a good explanation, or even half a dozen good analogies. Redistributables are collections of services that a programmer can use - call “call up” - instead of writing all that code himself. “How to create a color” is a program applet. “How to locate an X,Y Coordinate on-screen” is a program applet. Tons of others - I mean, hundreds of thousands.

These are generically called “toolboxes” - you don’t build your hammer before starting your house - you just buy one. Screwdrivers, planers, saws, sanders, etc. All ‘tools’ that others make and you use for your ultimate creation.

And just like tools have brand-names (Craftsman, etc), a Redistributable is, more or less, a ‘brand name’ collection of tools that certain language-versions can use. A C++ 4.1 Redistributable is a collection for C++ 4.1 to use, but probably not 5.2 or 3.7. However, most programs are now collections of languages so it’s not uncommon to see redistributables from various products being installed.

In fact, it’s sadly rare that a program will only use one language or even one version, simply because many programming-houses use the “If it’s not broken, don’t fix it” mentality for programming code rather than re-writing code based on a newer version’s verbage or patterns. This creates a maintenance nightmare, but it’s a quicker way to get a product out the door and money streaming in.

Interesting. I contacted LiteOn and let them know that including Nero, particularly without notifying people that they do NOT have to use Nero at all, and the dumb (Chinese) criminals couldn’t seem to understand. They wanted to know all kinds of irrelevent system details. I finally convinced them that Nero was the problem, so what did they do? Offer me MORE Nero! Duhhh Now they understand. They won’t talk to me any more.

I remain a big fan of Nero 6 and 7 Ultra - their full blown packages for XP. But “big fan” is only referring to two of the five packages included in it - the other three, I never use and never install. The new requirements for Vista-Win7-Win8 required newer Nero versions, and for folks who use the full-blown services, more power to them.

But those full-blown versions - like the Lite-On stripped down version - have fewer opportunities to not-install every feature, meaning more bloat with less usefulness. This is the common complanit about Nero, but when folks investigate other full-service packages, they’ll see Bloat has become horribly popular.

Take a freebie package like Adobe Reader 11 - which I avoid at all costs, simply because it’s HUGE now, and never offers me one useful service than Version 4’s nice little “open, display and print a PDF” service.

Years ago, I transitioned to the nice and tidy FoxIt PDF Reader and it was tiny for years. But this last version has doubled in size. But still offers me ZERO additional wanted services.

Bloat is everywhere, and I can’t help but wonder what Programming Schools are teaching!

It doesn’t bother you that, right out of the package, right up to the point of actually burning a disk, it suddenly comes up and says it is unprepared and doesn’t have all it needs to actually burn a disk, and needs to be updated (at a nominal fee)?

That is just plain WRONG. That is a SCAM (and I ain’t fallin’ for it). The fact that they don’t tell people that they simply do NOT need Nero at all is also wrong. If Nero were honest, they would not only inform people of that, but also that many other DVD authoring programs can just as easily run it.

Speaking of huge, Nero unzips to well over a Gig. In the meantime, uninstalling Nero leaves “harmful residue”. It’s bad enough that it takes over half an hour to install, then at least as long to uninstall, but it doesn’t completelyy uninstall and what’s left does bad things.

Nope, nothing anyone says can ever justify Nero’s existence to me. They are a criminally incompetent scam and a fraud. They need to be prosecuted out of existence. BTW, ironically, they are German, not Chinese. I would have expected this kind of underhandedness from the Chinese, but not the Germans. sigh

G.

When I install free-included software, I know there’s likely a price to pay. Somewhere. Somehow. Everyone wants to get money for their efforts. I know to do Custom Installs, or to be very attentive during each Install Screen because there are often checkboxes to allow or accept nuisances, for-pay options, etc.

I pay attention to Auto-Updates (which is at least a new Scheduler installed on my computer FOR that vendor, and it’s also a Phone-Home mechanism too).

I don’t really blame this on nationalism or religion or politics - it’s just their desire to make money. When I want to avoid paying money, I usually end up paying SOMETHING - time to educate myself, time to be careful during installation, time spent exploring Options, Tools or Preferences. I accept that there’s a cost - in my time or my money or both.

Years ago, almost every CD and DVD burner included some freebie burning package. But when I go to Egghead now and look at the Details Of Contents on most of the burners, no free software is included. I think the hardware vendors (or distributors) are tired of paying a little to the Nero’s (Roxio’s, MySonic’s, Cyberlink, etc.) OR are unhappy hearing complaints like yours. Finally, most of them have stopped.

My lack of regard for Nero (and other vendors) is that their software updates have stripped away useful services. For example, in my highly favored Nero 6 Ultra (6.613), this includes a license for MP3 burning. IF I FOOLISHLY APPLY the update to 6.615, Nero had to strip that service out because they did not get a renewed license. So, 6.615 is a lesser product with fewer services than 6.613.

The re-installation of that service was only $12 or $15. Not a lot. But the EFFORT to do it was, in my opinion, far greater than than the dollar amount. There was an emtional outrage. “Hey - why don’t I just uninstall Nero 6 Ultra entirely, then re-install it up to 6.613’s updates?!! AND NO FURTHER!” That was the ultimate solution.

But so many companies - including Nero - have delivered far newer versions because Vista, Win7 and Win8 required programming changes. And then the vendors stripped away even more services. “Buy the upgrade! Do less! Get less! Pay more!!”

Yeah. Right.

Win8 follows along, too - you have to pay for DVD playing using Microsoft’s precious Windows Media Player. Even Microsoft couldn’t (wouldn’t?) negotiate the Codecs necessary to play a DVD!

Fortunately, free products like VideoLan undermine this “Everyone pays!” notion. For now.

It’s a good thing I didn’t actually pay that “$19.95 Value” of that Nero scam or I’d really be angry.

Excess corporate greed (incompetence and corruption, too) is why I utterly loath most corporations and large companies. It would be illegal to say just what I’d like to do to them. Ever since AT&T attempted to charge me $0.14 simply for the (their) honor of listing THEM as my long distance carrier (back in those days), I have really hated corporate greed and their abuse of power. Someone got rich off that fourteen cent false-charge and nothing was ever done about it. Corporate crime.:a

And to think that we, in the Computer World, have comparatively a massive amount of choices. So many industries that affect us daily have little or no actual choice. They get laws to lock in contracts (what distributor supplies products to your grocers, pharmacies, your Office Depot kinda store, your movie theates, radio stations, record stores) so a huge quantity of our retailers have few choices. And they’re bamboozled or coerced into signing these “distribution contacts” so clients are locked into whatever distributors WANT to sell, NOT what customers want to buy. And storefronts are left HOPING they’ve contracted to sell gold treasures because, otherwise, they’re outta biz. And distributors line up the next ‘owner’ to take it over for a song. Grrr…

I read about high schools and “academies” who sign contracts with Shoe Companies and they place those star kids into colleges with similar Shoe Contracts. Child labor, locked up, from 6th Grade on. Who says slavery is dead? The Masters just aren’t man enough to show the chains, anymore. Grrr.

We’re still comparatively lucky that we have choices but we see samples of the emotional browbeating going on. “Get the new product! Don’t get left behind! You’re stuck in the past!!”

There’s a convenient neglect to mention that we won’t do any different service - we’re still doing exactly the same work, just spending new dollars. “Oh my, yes, but otherwise, the computer world will collapse!!” Uh huh. Sure… one of those ‘too big to fail’ things? Riiight.

[QUOTE=Gaarry;2683193]Thank you, I’ll look into that. I removed all the obvious stuff (took 30 minutes), then I searched my comp for “Nero” and found a whole bunch of it and deleted it all.

Why did it install three (“redistributable”) versions of C++??? All of it together was over a Gig.

Anyway, now I know (that Nero is an underhanded criminal scam).[/QUOTE]

Some programs use various version of Redistributable C++ for usage on their software. And one can’t really stop it from loading since that program uses that Redistributable C++ but if you should remove the program you can also remove that Redistributable C++ that was installed when the program was installed.

Yes, they’ve gone too far and taken too much for granted. It’s all gotten way too complex. I’m going back to sticks and rocks. Where’s my abacus? What’s this note on it? “Your beads have expired and been removed. To get the updated version, send $19.95 to…” ?!?

Your frustrations with the various entanglements that vendors elect to create are something they simply can’t value. “Gee - why aren’t we selling like we did last year! It must be our lack of features!!” That’s what they think.

They never consider, “It must be our lack of GOOD features and our abundance of BAD ones!” Du-uh. They simply can’t make that sentence come out of their peabrained mouths!

Programmers really like those little toolboxes, by the way. “NEW TOYS!!! I CAN’T WAIT TO USE THEM!!” The vendor-executives agree to buy these toys for the play-thing programmers, so they figure, “OK, we might as well use 'em!” and, again, simply can’t value the Cost vs Benefit, Pros vs Cons of these decisions. The programmers get soooo bored in their jobs that anything new is wonderful - for a while.

Of course, these ‘toys’ contain 8,000 blocks of program-applets, and these programmers may only use 1. Or 2. But customers have to allocate disk-space for all 8,000. The programmer is thinking, “That’s OK - [B]I’VE[/B] got plenty of space!!”

Yeah. HE does. That’s why it’s great to kick programmers out into the field and make them do Customer Service calls and see what evil they wrought!

“…great to kick programmers out into the field…” That part really appeals to me… LITERALLY!!! Giddyup, we got a lot of ground to plow.:a