How would I be better served?

vbimport

Hi everyone! Texcritter here and thanks for having me.

First, the setup:

AMD 2500+ Barton 1.77 GHz
Biostar M7NCD Pro mobo
2 x 512Mb PC3200 ram
ATI 9800 Pro
WinXP SP2

Primary IDE:
Maxtor 60G (Master)
WD 80G (Slave)

Secondary IDE:
Lite-On 52X32X52 CD-RW (Master)
Generic DVD-ROM 16x (Slave)

Not installed yet:
NEC ND-3500A 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive
Write Speed: 16X DVD+R, 4X DVD+RW, 4X DVD+R9, 16X DVD-R, 4X DVD-RW, 48X CD-R, 24X CD-RW
Read Speed: 48X CD-ROM, 16X DVD-ROM

Second, the question:
For Christmas I received the NEC 3500A (lucky me). I will mainly be burning (and ripping) 75% DVD’s to 25% CD’s. Obviously, I need to replace either the CD-RW or the DVD-ROM. I’m hoping you guys can give me your suggestions on which device should get the proverbial boot. Thanks in advance for your input.

I would try to find out exactly what make your dvd-rom is (and or try it and test it). The 3500 is riplocked so it will read comercial pressed dvd’s pretty slow. Even if you use hacked firmware on the 3500, the dvd-rom may read faster depending on what it is. I would replace the cd burner to start with and see how the dvd-rom performs. It is also easier to copy with a dvd-rom and a dvd burner. You can still use both drives for cd.

Yo-

Like ripit says - find out what your DVD-rom make/model is - more than likely it will out rip/read your 3500 (most do)-

I have my DVD-rom set up as “master” and my 3500 set up as “slave” on the secondary IDE channel - and it works great!!

You are going to love your 3500-

Happy Burnin’

Mike

I’m still insure of the brand name on the DVD-ROM. Maybe these tests results will be of some help.

Nero CD Speed Test results:

IDE_DVD-ROM_16X_2.02.txt (437 Bytes)

I’m not extensivly farmiliar with cdspeed (because I use kprobe) but from what I can tell from that it should be able to rip faster than your nec. Was that test ran with a prerecorded disk? If it was, 8x ripping speed is decent. I would give it a try with the dvd burner for a while. Fyi, have you tried looking in device manager or on the label of the drive to see what it is? Even if it doesn’t give a brand, sometimes you can tell from the model numbers or other markings on the label what it is.

just by chance what burn programs are you running? Some come with a virtual drive which may be labeled as generic or do you have daemon tools installed?

im not to familar with alot of drives but im curious if it is a BTC drive my last burner was made by BTC and was labeled as IDE100r under device manager but the rom i have is also a BTC drive and labeled asBdv316E

Look under your device manager for the dvd rom and tell what it says there

Was that test ran with a prerecorded disk?

YES

just by chance what burn programs are you running?

NERO 6.6.0.1
DVD Decrypter 3.5.1

I found the model # on the top of the drive. Here is the link to the DVD-ROM:
http://www.artecusa.com/products-dvdrom.html

Assuming these last bits of info don’t throw-up any red flags, I will take your advice and keep the DVD-ROM and run it with the new NEC. I appreciate all the help guys.

I’m not sure if that is considered a good drive or not. It doesn’t seem to be one of the more common ones and I didn’t find a lot of info when I searched on it. What I can tell you is that I happen to have that same drive (paired with a liteon 851s@832s burner). It’s not the fastest drive out there but it does a decent job (should be faster than your 3500). I have actually been using it for quite a while and don’t really have any complaints though I havent found much for hacked firmware. Anybody else care to coment on this drive? My personal opinion would be to use it. I cannot say if others have had good luck with it but I have.

Yo-

If you want the fastest ripper currently on the market - get an Aopen 1648/aap from www.ajump.com for $36 shipped-

It’ll be about 50% faster than your 3500-

Mike