How will Obama handle technology issues?

Okay, Obama obviously has a lot of work to do once he takes office, but for the sake of trying to limit the flame war, let’s focus on the tech issues.

Here’s a tidbit from the front page article I wrote a while ago:

President-elect Barack Obama, the next President of the United States, has an uphill climb when he takes over control of the country in January, with several different technology issues to deal with.

Politics aside, tech industry analysts are speculating what impact Obama will have in regards to copyright reform and other key tech issues.

Although Sen. John McCain touted the need for copyright enforcement in the United States, Obama said “we need to update and reform our copyright and patent systems to promote civic discourse, innovation, and investment while ensuring that intellectual property owners are fairly treated.”

The rest of the article can be found here.

What do you hope he does after he takes office, in regards to tech stuff?

I’ll list a couple of things a bit later this evening, after I post another article on the front page.

RANDOMOUS
While I understand where you are going as far as
tech issues,patents etc… Please be more concerned
how OBAMA as a novice is going to handle the
nuclear codes. That concerns me more.
ZAP.:rolleyes::frowning:

If he wants to help technology then he needs to figure out how to get more young people to graduate with engineering, math and science degrees. Our pathetic public school system is too worried about hurting Little Johnny’s feelings instead of imposing some discipline and making him learn something worthwhile.

If he takes even a second thinking about what the RIAA wants then we are all in deep $hit. He has much more massive problems to worry about. I could care less if some self absorbed rock star isn’t getting his royalties or if a movie mogul missed out on a few DVD sales. The stock market has dropped nearly 1,000 points in the two days since he was elected. He had better send a signal out soon that his plan to raise capital gains tax and play Robin Hood with the wealthy is on indefinite hold. Otherwise, we are going to see an economic meltdown the likes we haven’t seen since the Great Depression. Anyone that thinks the stock market drops the past two days isn’t due to Obama winning the election is whistling past the grave yard.

The whole distribution requirement of college is stupid anyway. You should have learned that crap in high school. Why go to college for two years to get a worthless liberal arts degree. The whole system needs to be revamped. My brother in law is an engineer at one of the largest engine manufacturers… He designs fan blades for jet engines. When he comes to my house is still is in awe of my shop. He has to pay to get anything and everything fixed. He is a fantastic engineer but he could not fix his BMW or fix his Ride on mower. He does not know how to Mig or Tig weld and can barely use a metal lathe and forget about milling machines. If you don’t know what I am talking about then I have made my point. We don’t make enough goods in this country and with the way things are going some people are going to be hurt. (Not me though, I just got a 16 Hp Sears Tractor with a 5 h.p. vacuum trailer for mulching leaves. It cost me $12.00 dollars to fix and about 45 minutes of my time. I was offered $700 for the trailer alone… I paid $50 for the whole rig. I have started charging people out the ass to fix things for them. Most make way more money than I do ( I am disabled but cannot collect because Social Security says that though I am disabled now from my injuries I was not disabled enough when I was hurt. I still don’t know what that means. I Paid 30 years into the system and got a bag of shit back. So all I can say for you service oriented types is when it comes time to get your stuff fixed bend over, because the way things are going you may not be able to afford a new item and I will be waiting to take all your money, you know, “Spread the Wealth”.

To defend your brother-in-law and a fellow engineer, how many of us can design fan blades for jet engines? I would rather him spend his time getting that right than learning to fix his lawn mower. :wink:

I grew up learning to do a lot for myself. My Father was very good at it and I learned much from him. In today’s society their are a few things that keep a lot of us from doing things like you do them. One is time. I just don’t have the time to educate myself on fixing many of the things I use that can break. The other thing is space. I don’t have the space to store all the things I would need to weld etc. I also can’t justify it from a financial aspect. The time/cost it would take me to fix something I could spend working and be ahead financially. Many things that we use nowadays are throw away items and can’t be fixed anyway.

I commend you for being so self sufficient. You obviously take pride in it and I would venture to guess you enjoy doing it. You having the freedom to do things your way and I having the freedom to do things my way and your brother-in-law having the freedom to do things his way is what really makes this country great, IMO.

zap em: I understand that there are more pressing issues, but the tech ones were the only ones I could write about for CDFreaks. :wink: I’m honestly more worried about the economy, bank bailout, and war in Iraq, but that is neither here nor there.

UTR: I agree that Obama needs to find a way to create a renewed interest in the STEM fields right here in America. Even though everyone seems to be so against hiring foreign tech workers, if the companies here can’t find them from American universities, they need to be able to get them from somewhere!

Like I mentioned to zap em, I understand there are more pressing issues, and don’t honestly expect Obama to begin to worry about tech-related issues until much later down the road – if ever.

Leaving the tech issues out of it, President-elect Obama’s first term (and possibly only term) in office is absolutely vital. We definitely have a boat load of problems that he must sort out ASAP, because who knows what will happen if this country stays on the same track it is on at the moment…

[QUOTE=Randomus;2154504]UTR: I agree that Obama needs to find a way to create a renewed interest in the STEM fields right here in America. Even though everyone seems to be so against hiring foreign tech workers, if the companies here can’t find them from American universities, they need to be able to get them from somewhere!

Like I mentioned to zap em, I understand there are more pressing issues, and don’t honestly expect Obama to begin to worry about tech-related issues until much later down the road – if ever.[/QUOTE]

Just in my field of engineering (civil) there are many jobs available that don’t necessarily require a college degree. I have never understood why a younger person would prefer to work retail in a mall when they could apply themselves a little and have a good career with excellent benefits. Personally, I blame the public school system. They have allowed their students to believe engineers and scientists are nerds and their jobs boring. They also don’t push discipline and hard work on the students either and some of it is due the the liberal administrations that run the majority of school systems. The NEA is continually ruining the system year after year because they put their own well being above the students’ education. Then there are also too many parents that just don’t give a crap about their children’s quality of education and see the school system as their baby sitters.

You are right in that companies have no choice but to either import engineers and scientists or outsource jobs because there just isn’t enough Americans stepping up and getting an education in these fields. Obama should address this sooner than later because the fix will take a long time. If we don’t fix it we loose whatever edge we currently have and it will hurt us greatly in the upcoming decades. IMO, Obama needs to deal with multiple problems at once because playing wack-a-mole won’t get us anywhere. I have a feeling he will be too busy paying back favors to do what is right for the country. I read an article over the weekend where he plans to reverse the executive orders Bush made regarding opening up more area for oil drilling. Now that is real smart. Get ready for higher gas prices again because the Democrats had no intention of keeping their campaign promises to produce more oil domestically. If he actually does this then it is going to be a long four years.

My brother in law could come up with the materials for a jet fan blade but I could build one in my home shop. Not everyone needs to be engineers. How many machinists do you know? I mean “real” machinist, not button pushers. I spent 7 years doing tool and dye and 7 more years programming and tooling and setting up 4 and 5 axis CNC machines. We have given all that work away. I wonder how many people reading this even know what a CNC machine is? (I know you do UTR). You may actualy find this interesting, we sold China a bunch of old helicopters (S-58’s) because they could run on automobile fuel, they did not have a lot of jet fuel back then. A lot of the parts for that helicopter were hand drawn and I had to take original parts and , using dykem and scribing tools , calculate and extrapolate all the intersecting radii, as they were done by hand and weren’t anything but curves. I then turned them into X.Y.Z dimensions so I could write programs and mill them. The originals were done on tracing machines. These were for replacement parts. I could never imagine China making such a request now. I totally understand what you mean about time, and need or desire. My brother in law was showing off his new 50" Aqous TV to me yesterday. I asked him about the staircasing on the bottom of the screen, he said he had not noticed that. His wife did. She had called the cable people and they told her it was a bad HDMI Cable. I swapped out cables, guess what, his TV has a bad HDMI input and also has some serious hue issues. I used to repair TV’s a long time ago. But no one fixes them anymore either. I still wonder where he can bring his. It is under warranty but by the time he is done with shipping and gets it back he’ll have about 1 month left on the warranty. I take credit for him getting into composites. When he finally got serious about school I told him to get into composite technology. He said "What’s that?. Now he’s an expert…He makes a crapload of money too, which is good because that TV costs him $2500 dollars and it will be dead within a year. (Just for the record I designed a recumbent bicycle that weighed only 6 ounces more than Cannondales, but my forks didn’t break off, and my bike was made of thin walled steel. You’d love my shop. It is 16 X 24 feet, two stories high 8 feet ceilings on the first floor, 10 feet on the second… Fully insulated with 100 amp separate service. It was the last structure I will ever build.

I think the time factor is the biggest reason I don’t do more myself. I have a Mustang sitting in the garage that has very little of the original drive train in it. I did most of the work but now I’m just too busy to mess with it much. I figure things will slow down one day, if i live long enough, and I’ll get back into more hobbies. I really like wood working and miss it more than anything. There is a great satisfaction in taking raw materials and turning them into works of art.

My Father was much like you. He was a ball turret gunner in a B-17 and survived getting shot down twice over Germany by getting across the front lines on his wits. He went to Bradley University on the GI Bill and got degrees in metallurgy, watch making and engraving. He turned down job opportunities from NASA in its infant days among others and started a jewelry business in small town Indiana that he operated until retirement. He was a borderline genius, IMO, and came up with all kinds of contraptions that he built. One was a rotary lawnmower before they were available to the public. He helped a local machine shop that made shafts for jet engines improve their machining process to reduce wasted parts by applying the technology he used to balance the shafts in wrist watches. He made a riding lawnmower out of old Triumph Spitfire parts that could cut grass while running 20+ mph. He built a portable welder from scratch that used a Ford six cylinder engine to run the generator. It was a beast and a local mine ended up buying it and tried to talk him into building more of them. He refused because after building one he was ready for another challenge. He built an air drive boat after buying a house in Florida after he retired. We had more fun running around the Everglades in that thing than you can imagine. It was a hell of a lot of fun in the snow too! Try zipping across a frozen lake in one. There were too many other things he built to list here. He also wanted to teach us self sufficiency because he grew up in the Depression with 10 brothers and sisters. So, for the first five years of my life we had a two acre garden, a milk cow, pigs, beef cows, goats, horses, 17 dogs to cover all the types of hunting he enjoyed, homing pigeons among other stuff. Milking a cow EVERY morning is a real PITA! The one thing he had was time though. He didn’t bog himself down with a lot of the crap that many of us do today. I can’t count the times he would just close the jewelry shop on a whim and take us fishing or swimming. Only as I have gotten older do I really appreciate what he did for his children. He gave us a childhood that many can never know in today’s world.

You father was a genuine hero. My influence comes from my mother. My father died when I was 4. There were 7 of us. She worked 16 hours a day for about 15 years to keep us well feed and well clothed. My father worked at Sikorsky Helicopters. He painted them. He had really bad bronchitis. He would stop on his way home and have a shot with some friends. One night he suffered a bad bronchitis attack while walking home in early April. The Police thinking he was just another drunk Puerto Rican threw him in jail where he suffocated and died. My mom told me years later people tried to get her to sue but she said she was too afraid. I used to envy kids that had fathers. One day a Preacher told me “God is the Father of the Fatherless”, that took a huge load off of me. My mom built Gyroscopes for Hamilton Standard in the day time and was a seamstress at night. The whole family pitched in and we made 70 Full length coats for Reads departments stores. They wanted my mom to start a business making clothes but my mom was so 3rd world she just couldn’t believe she could pull it off. She was the hardest working person I have ever met. I would love go go on an airboat thru the everglades. It is definitely on my to do list. Here’s to great parents!!!

[QUOTE=zap em;2153058]RANDOMOUS
While I understand where you are going as far as
tech issues,patents etc… Please be more concerned
how OBAMA as a novice is going to handle the
nuclear codes. That concerns me more.
ZAP.:rolleyes::([/QUOTE]

Even though he’s a novice … I feel alot better that it’s anyone but Bush :clap::clap::clap:

[QUOTE=mcortez62;2159580]Even though he’s a novice … I feel alot better that it’s anyone but Bush :clap::clap::clap:[/QUOTE]

How many domestic terror attacks have we had since 9-11? Give the man some credit for this. Had he not done enough to prevent further attacks then the same people that are crucifying him now for being too much of a hawk would still be doing the same for him not being tough enough. I swear the guy was in a no win situation. As far as I know he didn’t set off any nukes either. In fact he stopped Libya and Syria from going nuclear and very likely slowed Iran’s progress toward it significantly. He also brought to light Pakistan’s exportation of nuclear weapons production equipment and knowledge and kept a fairly good lid on North Korea by confiscating missiles they tried to ship to other trouble making countries. I don’t see the liberal media ever mention many of the good things Bush accomplished in his eight years. But then I think we all know why that is the case. They are in the tank for Obama and liberal Democrats even if it hurts the country. Look for further biased reporting on Obama in the upcoming years. Anyone that wants to know the truth had better learn to dig it out from the Internet themselves because they won’t get it from CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, NYT, LAT, WP, Time, Newsweek etc.

Let’s wait and see how Obama handles Putin, Iran, Syria, Korea, Chavez and all these rogue terrorist organizations that don’t play by the rules and ignore the conventions of national borders. If he thinks they can be treated as criminals then we are in deep $hit. They need to be treated as the enemy and killed where we find them plotting against us. Not being let go like Clinton allowed or captured and coddled through our court system and being exonerated/validated by liberal attorneys and judges. You are putting a lot of blind faith in a totally unproven person. Whether you love him or hate him, Bush has kept us safe and, IMO, he has done so at great personal and public cost. History will likely look kinder on Bush than is currently done. Especially if Obama lets a domestic terror attack occur on his watch.

I’m not really into politics that much but I don’t know personally how he will handle issues at hand and in the future, all I can do is pray to God that it will be nothing like Bush, or worse. I don’t know what’s ahead…but I have dreams of explosions and worse. Too many people want POWER. End of all humanity. =WAR done and done…

For the foreseeable future war will be a necessary evil for the human race. There are a few things that I hope Obama continues from the Bush administration and a big one is keeping us safe and searching out terrorists where they live before they get a chance to practice their trade where I live.

[QUOTE=UTR;2159596]How many domestic terror attacks have we had since 9-11? Give the man some credit for this. Had he not done enough to prevent further attacks then the same people that are crucifying him now for being too much of a hawk would still be doing the same for him not being tough enough. I swear the guy was in a no win situation. As far as I know he didn’t set off any nukes either. In fact he stopped Libya and Syria from going nuclear and very likely slowed Iran’s progress toward it significantly. He also brought to light Pakistan’s exportation of nuclear weapons production equipment and knowledge and kept a fairly good lid on North Korea by confiscating missiles they tried to ship to other trouble making countries. I don’t see the liberal media ever mention many of the good things Bush accomplished in his eight years. But then I think we all know why that is the case. They are in the tank for Obama and liberal Democrats even if it hurts the country. Look for further biased reporting on Obama in the upcoming years. Anyone that wants to know the truth had better learn to dig it out from the Internet themselves because they won’t get it from CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, NYT, LAT, WP, Time, Newsweek etc.

Let’s wait and see how Obama handles Putin, Iran, Syria, Korea, Chavez and all these rogue terrorist organizations that don’t play by the rules and ignore the conventions of national borders. If he thinks they can be treated as criminals then we are in deep $hit. They need to be treated as the enemy and killed where we find them plotting against us. Not being let go like Clinton allowed or captured and coddled through our court system and being exonerated/validated by liberal attorneys and judges. You are putting a lot of blind faith in a totally unproven person. Whether you love him or hate him, Bush has kept us safe and, IMO, he has done so at great personal and public cost. History will likely look kinder on Bush than is currently done. Especially if Obama lets a domestic terror attack occur on his watch.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=UTR;2160001]For the foreseeable future war will be a necessary evil for the human race. There are a few things that I hope Obama continues from the Bush administration and a big one is keeping us safe and searching out terrorists where they live before they get a chance to practice their trade where I live.[/QUOTE]

[B][Off-topic][/B]How are these posts even somewhat related to the topic at hand? Nothing at all to do with technology, all they are is a bow-down foot worship to the worst president since Nixon. [B][/Off-topic]
[/B]
[B]Back on topic,[/B] here’s an article on some of the things Obama plans to address regarding technology. http://www.dailytech.com/Obama+Pushes+Ambitious+Tech+Agenda+Tops+on+List+Privacy+Fast+Net/article13374.htm

You’re a week late. BTW, expecting a thread to not veer OT on occasion is wishful thinking. Anyway, OT or not it doesn’t effect the validity of my comments.