How well my burned CD and DVD media have aged

After reading a lot of horror stories how people lost backups stored on burned CDs or DVDs that were only few years old I decided to check in what state was my own optical media collection. To my surprise even the media that was considered 2nd and 3rd grade quality (CMC Magnetics, Optodisc, Princo) was perfectly readable on every DVD reader I own (except few exceptions of mistreated media). Later I decided to look for the oldest media I own (of every manufacturer) and do some quality scans using Nero DiscSpeed. I will post those scans on this thread.

To everyone interested in this topic feel free to contribute with comments and your own disc quality scans.

The oldest burned media I own is Verbatim CD-R 650mb DataLifePlus with dark blue recording dye, made in Ireland.

MID: 97m34s20f
Recorder and recording speed unknown.
Date recorded: 28 Jun 1998

Extremely low error rate, probably the lowest I have ever seen in CD media.

Maxell CD-R 74XL - 650 MB, Made in Japan by Hitachi-Maxell Ltd. Green/blue recording dye.

MID: 97m25s22f
Recorder and recording speed unknown
Date recorded: 26 Sep 1998

Scans of aging and older CD media

Non-branded CD, manufactured by Lead Data. Dark green recording dye.

MID:97m26s50f
Recorder and recording speed unknown.
Date recorded: 5 Jun 1998

The disc has lots of scratches, it was frequently used for few years in the Windows 98 era. Probably it was forgotten few times in my dad’s car in the summer months. Not every drive can read it.

Scans of aging and older CD media

Memorex branded DVD-R.

MID: CMC MAG AM3
Recorder: NEC ND-2510A @4x using Nero (I always used the 4X recording speed on my NEC)
Date: 10 Nov 2005

Memorex branded DVD-R.

MID: CMC MAG AM3
Recorder: NEC ND-2510A @4x using Nero (I always used the 4X recording speed on my NEC)
Date: 19 Jan 2006

That’s Write branded DVD-R (I’m guessing Optodisc own brand)

MID: OPTODISC R008
Recorder: NEC ND-2510A @4x using Nero
Date: 20 Oct 2005

After 17 years using optical media I can say you need a bit luck.

My CD-Rs from Prodisc which I rescanned this year gets class 2 to class 5 with high error-rates; same brand, same burner, same batch, same speed used.

Some of my non-labeled CD-Rs from BurnMe lost the coating and became unreadable.

But overall optical-media can be last long, longer than HDDs

Exceptions:

DVD: FUJIFILM03 from MBI, INFOMER30

BD-R: RITEKBR2 and RITEKBR3

With CMCMAG-BA5 and TDKBLD I also have one fail, but other discs still works fine

Back in the day I didn’t have drive that could do quality check/reporting of the burned media. Luckily the ND2510 was great burner but very very bad reader - so if the drive doesn’t want to burn the disc or it fails to read it immediately after burning, the given media brand/MID was considered as of low quality and never used again. It seems I had luck to use inexpensive media that has very good longevity.

Today, in the blu-ray era, is the same story all over again (at least for me). The Pioneer BDR-209EBK I own doesn’t do quality scanning so choosing blanks again is based on someone else research, experiments and experience. I hope using the CMCMAG-BA5 will turn out as smart choice.

Princo branded CD-R

MID: 97m27s28s (light blue dye)
Recorder: Asus CRW-4012A @16X using Nero
Date: Jan-Sept 2004

This is an example of how storage affects media longevity. They came from same batch, burned roughly in the same period at the same speed.

1. Results from disc that was kept in a CD wallet most of the time - no change of color on the top surface.

1. Results from disc that probably was left exposed to sunlight near window - top surface has started changing color from matte silver to yellow

1. Results from disc that probably was left exposed to sunlight near window - top surface has started changing color from matte silver to yellow, part of the disc edge has turned gold yellow.

Discs that have entire top surface turned gold yellow are really hard to access - only two drives (extremely slowly) can retrieve data from them.

The dye on the affected disc also has changed color - it become dull blue.

The rarest/most obscure recordable medium

I would say any Cd-r 650mb and 700mb that always are in Rooms and most time in Jewel Cases that comes from Verbatim (doesnt matter if with MID Code verbatim or MBI) still works perfectly here.

I have one test sample that are lying 10 years inside the cd/mp3 Pioneer Slot in drive in the Car as my MP3 CD. I dont need to chance the cds often because i dont hear so much different music. A mp3 cd hold many years for me. :wink: And i can hear the radio in the car too.

The complete year from Winter outside -25° Celsius Temperatur up more then 40° Celsius inside the car in Summer in South Germany.

That Scan from the Verbatim 700mb Cd-r have the mid Cd-R Moser Baer 97m17s06f