How unlucky can you be?

vbimport

Call it luck or fate, it doesn’t really matter.
How lucky or unlucky are you?
I consider myself quite lucky, as i always feel when something bad has happened, that it could have been a lot worse.

I came across a horrific story about an Australian women who was decapitated by a grass cutter.
http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=152415732
They say the chances of this happening were more than a million to one.
Was she just unlucky, or is there more to things than just luck?

[QUOTE=Dee;2499363]
…i always feel when something bad has happened, that it could have been a lot worse[/QUOTE]

My feelings too. :iagree:

I’ve had a lot of luck with computers :p…things that run smoothly which really should have gone belly-up, that kind of thing. EDIT: I don’t consider myself any luckier than the next person generally though.

Good things happen, bad things happen though. Probably sounds a bit corny, but I believe there’s some good to be found in most situations…you just might have to work a bit harder to see the bright side sometimes. :wink:

As for the poor woman in the article…freak accident, could have happened to anyone walking in that spot at that time.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2499364]

Good things happen, bad things happen though. Probably sounds a bit corny, but I believe there’s some good to be found in most situations…you just might have to work a bit harder to see the bright side sometimes. :wink:

QUOTE]

True :iagree:

I feel 4 the Poor Tractor driver taken to hospital suffering

I own a black cat (or should that be he owns me :doh: )…by rights I should be the luckiest woman alive :bigsmile: (or the unluckiest, depending on your part of the world ;)).

[QUOTE=Arachne;2499364]

QUOTE]

True :iagree:

[I]I feel 4 the Poor Tractor driver taken to hospital suffering frome shock …[/I]

[B]I feel Lucky that my kids listen to me and Respect me …[/B]
[I]ok not always …[/I]:flower:
WE can joke with each other and Tease …
[B]without taking offensive…[/B]
some friend asked my 25y old Son " wont your Mom mind “
” NO the old BAG is sitting infront of the PC again "Probley on that Feeky site "
[I]she has no life [/I]:smiley:

[B]Also I think some sort of luck is our Makers Time saying its not Time 4 you to go [/B]
MY 3 Boys and I once Missed the Buss to take us on holiday to see there late Dad ( Husband worked on Circus ) kids onyl saw him School hols .THAT buss was in an Accident .IT could have been us …
Thanks THIS is realy making me Think …
WE have Good stuff and Bad that Happens …

I am a very empathetic person …

[QUOTE=Dee;2499363]Call it luck or fate, it doesn’t really matter.
How lucky or unlucky are you?
I consider myself quite lucky, as i always feel when something bad has happened, that it could have been a lot worse.

I came across a horrific story about an Australian women who was decapitated by a grass cutter.
http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=152415732
They say the chances of this happening were more than a million to one.
Was she just unlucky, or is there more to things than just luck?[/QUOTE]

Well we all get unlucky in the end I suppose.

Sometimes things are just meant to be, although I do believe you also make your own luck.

My own take on things is if you lead a good life helping others, then when times are bad you’ll have plenty of friends to help you out and when you eventually depart this world you won’t have wasted whatever precious time you’ve been given.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Well I fell off the 3 high scaffolding at work last May 18th. I remember thinking that I’m not going to keep my balance and then seeing a huge bush below me so I aimed for it as I went over. I center punched that bush, broke out many inch thick branches and ended up with a broken right arm at the elbow, the radial head and the ulna. I also broke a minor sinus bone under my right eye and had a black eye.
I don’t remember being worried about dying, just figuring maybe that bush would break my fall and I wouldn’t be so broken after wards.
I was knocked out cold when I hit and only remember bits and pieces of the waking up after and the ambulance ride and emergency room time.
The next day my arm was really sore like I had very bad tendinitis, which I’ve had before, so I mentioned it to a nurse and she said it did look red and swollen so they took a X ray, yup broke my damned arm:a The main DR was pissed, I heard him yelling at all the interns and nurses about how could they miss a broken arm when I had fallen 18 feet to the ground…Then he came in and said hello like nothing had ever happened;)
I know that they were more worried about my head with my concussion and memory loss and I had no idea it was broke either.
Thanks to the arm I was off work for 4 months, you don’t heal as fast when you get older, otherwise I would have been out a week.
I also was taken down to half dose on the Blood pressure medicine that caused me to get dizzy in the first place as I had just been put on it.
I think I guess you could say I was lucky, but I always try to have a plan for when things go bad on a job situation because we are always up high somewhere on a roof. I look the situation over and decide what I’m going to do if I slip as to what I’m grabbing or the best direction to try and go.
So I guess I’m unlucky, but I also feel my planning ahead and looking things over might have saved me or at least lessened my injuries. Most folks I tell the story to say I’m a lucky guy and most times that’s how I feel about things in general. This is the first time I’ve had any major injuries and I’m back to work again full time, doing exactly what I did before and heights still don’t bother me.

Luck is all about being positive in life.

I have never believed in luck, I do believe in fate though.
If it is going to happen to you, then it is going to happen good or bad
I suppose luck and fate could be interwoven, don’t know.

[QUOTE=touchdown_1;2499754]I have never believed in luck, I do believe in fate though.[/QUOTE] How about horoscopes?

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2499823]How about horoscopes?[/QUOTE]

No, I don’t believe in horoscopes.
They might have had some value to someone planting hundreds of years ago, but for predicting what is going to happen to you today, no…

I have good karma but horrible luck most of the time. (Ex: my relationship history)

I do somewhat believe in horoscopes, as more often than not they are close to what actually happens. I don’t live my life around them though, I let things go as they may.

How unlucky can you be?

Very… but I hope it wont happen too often.
Life is precious and short…so try to enjoy it at least. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=chef;2499987]Very… but I hope it wont happen too often.
[B]Life is precious and short[/B]…so try to[B] enjoy it at least[/B]. :)[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

i dont read horrerscopes or dont apply them to my life.
My husband Was Killed in an accident on the Circus 2004 BAD Luck ( transport Accident ) if we looking at …Wrong place at wrong time ( BAD LUCK )
IF you looking at Good luck v Bad Luck …

[B]IM very Optimistic[/B]
so I try to find the good in Everthing

I don’t mind admitting, when i first read the story of the woman being decapitated in this accident, that it got to me. It kind of put things i believe in, into question.
I believe you make your own luck, and your fate isn’t set.

But there was the woman, minding her own business, on her way to work walking along a pathway at a park. From what i can gather, no one else was close by, it was a big area, and i thought, why did that grass cutter at that very moment throw out a chunk of metal, at the exact moment when this woman was passing, and why hit in the head, why not the arm or ankle?
Was her fate sealed?

In the cold light of day, and after some rethinking. This type of thing must have happened a million times before where grass is being cut. A grass cutting machine in long grass throwing up some object that the driver can’t see beforehand. There must have been people who suffered near misses, there must have been people injured before with something flying out of a grass cutter. So i guess the odds of this happening were getting shorter every day. so something like this was bound to happen sometime.

I guess, she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Poor woman. :frowning:

Any number of things could have happened, the pipe could have gotten caught up in the mower, or it could have been thrown in another direction, or it could have been chewed up and just fallen back to the ground.
But as fate would have it this woman was walking along minding her own business when WHAM, it’s over, that’s fate.
Not much difference when a plane crashes and by all rights everyone should have died, and yet there is a survivor or two.
And I could go on and on about what I have seen personally that reinforces my belief in fate.
It just is what it is…

[QUOTE=Dee;2500059]
I believe you make your own luck, and your fate isn’t set.[/quote]

:iagree:

Agreed on that as well :frowning:

Going back to beliefs and such…I do believe in the power of positive thought. Of course, along with that comes the power of negative thought, which I also believe exists (unfortunately).

[QUOTE=Arachne;2500292]

Going back to beliefs and such…I do believe in the power of positive thought. Of course, along with that comes the power of negative thought, which I also believe exists (unfortunately).[/QUOTE]

You can’t go uphill thinking downhill thoughts.:slight_smile:

@17, doing gymnastics (Rings), one ring slipped, fell on headd, ruptured disc.

@19, severe chronic pneumonia, flunked out of college.

@20, " “” " " " (same as above)

@22, ruptured 2 more disc in new, building refrigerators for Nuclear Submarines.

@26, had to get surgery to fix neck, lost job, minimal benefits out of commission 2 years.

@ 30, Started working at Sikorsky Aircraft. floor next to CNC machine I was programming collapsed, fell into said machine, broke bone fusions, more surgery, out of work 1.5 years.

@ 32 to 39, the physically Golden Years.

@ 40, Man hits me while I was driving my 1973 MG Midget (T-boned me), bone fusions in neck break, rupture 2 lumbar disc, can’t walk lose use of right rm, 3 days later major Spinal Cervical surgery, recover, still can’t walk more than 10 feet, major lumbar surgery, I have to learn to walk again, takes 3 months.

@ 43, I do not qualify for any benefits as I attempted to work.

@ 44, my son is born, the light of my life, it all makes sense now, I stay home and raise him ( I helped my wife get get Masters in Financial Management, she is breadwinner now. I put my life savings into a house (70,000 dollars) House costs $170,000.

@ 53, Present time, My son is 10, I filled his brain up, he is an honor student, school supplements the knowledge I give him, he is always ahead in Math. My house, even in this economy has more than doubled in value, I take 180 mgs. of Morphine, plus 8 mg. of Dilaudid when necessary, daily, to deal with pain. I have a implant at the base of my skull which send electrical signals to the Occipital Nerves to try and help manage pain.

I think it is called life, I love it, it all makes sense. If you don’t see the order, you are not paying attention.

Presently, time slipping through my fingers, more years behind me than in front. I love life, the world, this and a couple other forums, there is no such thing as luck or “bad” Karma. I am strengthened by all that has happened to me. True story.:iagree: I left out a lot, as that would have taken 53 years to read, if you read fast.:cool:

Well until my fall I had no major injuries at all and I was 50 at the time. Just before I fell doc asked me how my kidney stones were doing and I said, truthfully, that I had been trying to pass a stubborn one for over a year. She sent me to the urologist and he discovered 2 rocks, a 10.5 mm in the left kidney, and a 7.5 in the right, said they would never pass and I needed the stone smashing treatment to clear them. Shortly there after the fall happened so now I had all the time needed to do whatever needed fixing. The whole thing started when I had a few broken teeth that needed fixing and my Dental student at our teaching college noticed my Blood pressure was really high and needed to be fixed before they could work on me. I go to the doc about that, of course it’s high again because I haven’t been to anybody in at least 10 years and I’m all uptight about a doc visit. I get meds and she asks about the stones she knew about as she’s treated me before way back when and knows the family…
Anyways I ended up on workmans comp, got the kidney stones smashed, went to therapy for the arm, finally got to the dentist to start getting the teeth fixed, found out the shattered bones in the radial head hadn’t fused 2 months later, BUT as long as my range of motion was good and I didn’t hurt
much I could go back to work soon…then after I was back at work a month or so I got swine flu and was back off for 2 weeks… Oh and the main doc also said I was on the verge of becoming diabetic as my blood sugar was slightly higher then it should be so watch the sugar:a
Now I’m back to work full time, the arm has most of it’s strength back and is a bit crunchy when I move it just right but mostly doesn’t hurt, I passed the last kidney stone that we could see a while back, and I’m well on the way to getting the bad teeth crowned for a good savings because it’s a dental college.
Workmans comp says I’m 3 percent broken and gave me a settlement check, plus I got every bit of taxes back I paid out last year, plus some extra, so now I can afford the dentist again.
So I’m finally somewhat OK again and all the payments for everything gave me some savings back that I had to spend to live on and pay the medical bills that the insurance didn’t cover, luckily the arm was fully covered.
I’m going to pretend that 50 never happened and move forward.
I think one of my favorite sayings applies for many of us here… Despite the high cost of living…it continues to remain popular :bigsmile: