How to watch video footage copied to disc on dvd recorder but not "finalised"

vbimport

I have a Durabrand DVR A160 DVD recorder which appears to have a power problem - when connected to the power cord the machine just makes a high pitched whining sound but no display. This was a cheap machine and has hardly been used since buying a few years back. The main problem is however that I have used it to transfer some home video to disc but didn’t finalise the discs (DVD+R) as I intended to add more to them. Now that the recorder has failed I can’t finalise in that way and when trying to view on pc or another dvd player it looks as though the discs are blank.
The footage is of our kids as babies and is invaluable - unfortunately the discs are the only copies.

Any ideas as to how to either finalise the discs some other way, extract the data or get the old dvd player working again (i’ve tried a different power cord)?

Thanks

Try Imgburn, http://www.imgburn.com/, to close the disk. Funny that they won’t play on your PC.

You can also try ISOBuster (free version) to extract the video off the disks and onto the hard drive.

I’ve had success doing what Kerry56 suggested.
ImgBurn is a toss up for closing an unfinalized disc.
It can FUBAR one sometimes.

[QUOTE=Kingkanes;2564409]I have a Durabrand DVR A160 DVD recorder which appears to have a power problem - when connected to the power cord the machine just makes a high pitched whining sound but no display. This was a cheap machine and has hardly been used since buying a few years back. The main problem is however that I have used it to transfer some home video to disc but didn’t finalise the discs (DVD+R) as I intended to add more to them. Now that the recorder has failed I can’t finalise in that way and when trying to view on pc or another dvd player it looks as though the discs are blank.
The footage is of our kids as babies and is invaluable - unfortunately the discs are the only copies.

Any ideas as to how to either finalise the discs some other way, extract the data or get the old dvd player working again (i’ve tried a different power cord)?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

A common “power problem” is failed or failing capacitors in the power supply.

Often failed capacitors have a split or opening at the top.

Capacitors are inexpensive to purchase but there will be disassembly and soldering involved when replacing capacitors.

[QUOTE=cholla;2564472]I’ve had success doing what Kerry56 suggested.
ImgBurn is a toss up for closing an unfinalized disc.
It can FUBAR one sometimes.[/QUOTE]

The problem is the recording format chosen by the user on the recording device…

Thanks for everyone’s responses - much appreciated. Been a bit too busy to put any of the suggestions into practice but I’ve downloaded and had a quick look at ISOBuster and will give it a go over the next few days hopefully. It looks like it should do the trick.

Thanks again and I’ll let you know how I got on!!

Merry Christmas!!