How to use SATA II hard drive as boot drive in older motherboard?

vbimport

I have a MSI - KM4M-V motherboard .
My IDE drive died so I want use the WD 500GB SATA II Green drive as boot drive.So what can I do set this up ?

Just plug it in i guess. The board has sata.

Hi,[QUOTE=SuperDuty;2507963]I have a MSI - KM4M-V motherboard .
My IDE drive died so I want use the WD 500GB SATA II Green drive as boot drive.So what can I do set this up ?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2507967]Just plug it in i guess. The board has sata.[/QUOTE]No. “Just plug in” does not work. :disagree:
This motherboard is equipped with an older Via chipset that is not as compatible as expected. A Sata II HDD [B]must [/B]be converted to Sata I operation mode to work properly on Via based Sata controllers.
Luckily, most WD HDDs have a jumper setting for this purpose. I’d suggest to check WD supprt website for details.

Additionally, the motherboard Bios version should be at least version 1.3 (which introduced a newer Sata controller bios).

Michael

Hi,
Your mciahel right it’s Jumpered Pins 5 and 6.
How can I slow down the start up screens to see the Motherboard Bios version is ?
MSI Live update says Bios up to date I don’t think so the Sata Bios should be version 4 it’s not it’s version 2.

THANKS

Use CPU-Z (its free) it can tell you the MB BIOS version.

I recommend manually downloading the BIOS and doing the update with the computer offline.

[QUOTE=SuperDuty;2508041]
Your mciahel right it’s Jumpered Pins 5 and 6.[/quote]Good to read this jumper still exists :slight_smile:

How can I slow down the start up screens to see the Motherboard Bios version is ?

Press the Pause key :wink: According to MSI Germany, latest Bios for that motherboard is 1.4

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2507994]This motherboard is equipped with an older Via chipset that is not as compatible as expected. A Sata II HDD [B]must [/B]be converted to Sata I operation mode to work properly on Via based Sata controllers. [/QUOTE] I never knew this, i’m sorry if i misled anybody.

Thanks for the info mciahel! :bow:

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2508150]I never knew this, i’m sorry if i misled anybody.[/QUOTE]No problem. :wink:
Many users aren’t aware of such special features. Another “feature” is (partial) incompatibility with optical Sata drives :eek:

Michael

Hi,
I use the Pause Key got version 1.2.
I’ll try to Flash Bios the CD way got message.
I have 1.5 gb.

Hi,

you may go through this: http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=90642.0 and follow some links given there if needed.

Also check this: http://us.msi.com/support/sup_tshoot.asp

If your motherboard already supports booting from USB, then using a bootable USB stick is worth considering.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2508165]No problem. :wink:
Many users aren’t aware of such special features. Another “feature” is (partial) incompatibility with optical Sata drives :eek:

Michael[/QUOTE]

Hurray for Sata! You know, somewhere i’m still glad i still use old Pentium 3 and 4’s with IDE and basic Operating Systems… :slight_smile:

hi, I’m back took awhile to Flash Bios from version 1.2 to 1.4 USB drive problems.
I guess the Sata ports are raid only.
Because I what the Sata drive as a OS Boot drive.
I thought the newer version will solve the problem.
I have a Sata adapter that plug into the IDE socket on motherboard.
I’ll let you how that works.

SuperDuty

Look in the bios, you should be able to configure the SATA as non raid.

[QUOTE=SuperDuty;2509018]I guess the Sata ports are raid only.[/QUOTE]

I’ve never heard of such a thing as the SATA ports being Raid only :disagree: you can set
them in the BIOS for IDE mode as eric93se suggested. I’m not real sure what it is
listed under in your BIOS as I do not use MSI products anymore but still it should
be listed there some where. :iagree:

Hi,[QUOTE=getit29;2509121]I’ve never heard of such a thing as the SATA ports being Raid only :disagree: you can set
them in the BIOS for IDE mode as eric93se suggested.[/quote]Basically, you are correct. The hardware supports RAID and non-Raid operation modes. Now it is up to the motherboard manufacturers (and their Bios “programmers”) what options they offer to the user. I have heard that some early Asus motherboards with Via chipsets were lacking such options.

I’m not real sure what it is
listed under in your BIOS
Unfortunately, the manual isn’t helpful here. :frowning:

If the options are similar to my MSI S939 Board (with the same southbridge), then there should be the options

[ul]
[li]Disabled
[/li][li]Sata
[/li][li]Raid
[/li][/ul]Listed unter "onboard Sata Controller"
But since this is a totally different board, this must not necessarily be true.

Michael

Hi’
I check Bios .again.
Phoenix-AwardBIOS v6.00PG
W7061VMS V1.4

Standard CMOS Features - No Sata just IDE

Advanced BIOS Features
Boot Sequence -
Floppy
LS120
HDD-0
SCSI
CDROM
HDD-1
HDD-2
HDD-3
ZIP100
USB-FDD
USB-ZIP
USB-CDROM
USB-HDD
LAN
Disabled

Intergrated Peripherals -
VIA OnCHIP IDE - OnChip SATA ( ENABLED )

In DISK Management
DISK 0 ( C: ) 18.64 GB
Basic
18.64GB

DISK 1 Unallocated
Basic
465.76GB

Also the new BIOS change the CPU Name from Sempron to AMD ATHLON MP - AMD ATHLON ™ XP 1600+

THANKS, SuperDuty

So, what’s the problem now?
Since the new HDD is empty, it can’t be chosen as boot device.

My suggestion: Unplug the old HDD, then boot from your OS install disc, install your operating system and see what happens :wink:

Michael

Hi,
The Standard CMOS Features still can’t see the SATA Drive.
Even after reformat drive using NTFS.
Went into Advanced BIOS Features - Boot Sequence set CDROM then SCSI.
Ran Windows XP to installed ,says no HHD to install.

Guess I’m Newbe at this
SuperDuty

[QUOTE=SuperDuty;2509457]Ran Windows XP to installed ,says no HHD to install. [/QUOTE] Ah yes, that is a common problem. You will require to put the SATA drivers on a floppy disk drive (or usb stick). When Windows XP comes up with the message “Press F6 for additional drivers”, you press F6 and have it load the drivers on your floppy.

Uhm… how would an USB stick help?
Use nLite and slipstream
//Danne