How to update BIOS without charged battery?

vbimport

#1

I have IBM thinkpad 770Z and would like to update BIOS, but this shity thing doesn’t let me to update because my battery is dead and I don’t want to spend a lot of money to buy a new one, so if someone has any solution for this problem I’d be really happy to hear it!

Thx in advance!

:confused:


#2

6 dollars for a new cmos battery is too much ? :confused: :confused: Or do you mean the main laptop battery ?


#3

I’m talking about the main laptop battery of course, that costs $153.95+…

:eek:


#4

I take it the laptop will not flash unless it’s on DC power. There are ways to hotflash BIOS, but it is very risky, and should only be done as a last resort. Check with IBM support to see if they support this and have a tool.


#5

Originally posted by rdgrimes
I take it the laptop will not flash unless it’s on DC power. There are ways to hotflash BIOS, but it is very risky, and should only be done as a last resort. Check with IBM support to see if they support this and have a tool.

IBM support sux, I already contacted with them and they wrote:
"Dear Sir Madam,
You should use AC power adaptor when flashing the bios because in case of
power cut off your machine systemboard will be seriously
damaged so do use AC power adaptor

Regards"

And in the installation instructions for BIOS they say that:
“Notes: - You need an AC adapter and a charged battery pack to update the system program.”

So I have AC adapter but not a working battery because they are in shit and I can’t update BIOS!:Z

If u know any way, also how to hotflash BIOS, I’ll risk it…


#6

If IBM doesn’t support hotflash with a utility to do it, there’s probably a good reason. Killing the laptop for the sake of a battery might not be a good exchange.


#7

Originally posted by rdgrimes
If IBM doesn’t support hotflash with a utility to do it, there’s probably a good reason. Killing the laptop for the sake of a battery might not be a good exchange.

No, that’s a bull shit, they like to get money for the sake of their bad battery quality. IBM also sells normal PC’s and by them they don’t demand charged battery if u update BIOS. And PC’s can be also expensiver than laptops… did u get the point?

:frowning:


#8

Originally posted by Manijak
[B]

No, that’s a bull shit, they like to get money for the sake of their bad battery quality. IBM also sells normal PC’s and by them they don’t demand charged battery if u update BIOS. And PC’s can be also expensiver than laptops… did u get the point?

:frowning: [/B]

well i think you just lost any hope of getting help!
Flaming a moderator is not a wise thing to do i think the next response you get from him will go something like this


#9

Originally posted by Manijak
IBM also sells normal PC’s and by them they don’t demand charged battery if u update BIOS.

last time i checked, desktop computers don’t run off of batteries.:rolleyes:


#10

How many pins does this battery have? If there are only two, there’s no problem with hooking up an external battery to the laptop and flash it with that thing connected…

A colleage of mine has a car-battery attached to his IBM laptop, so he can work for over 10 hours when travelling with an international train or so…


#11

Originally posted by slayerking

well i think you just lost any hope of getting help!
Flaming a moderator is not a wise thing to do i think the next response you get from him will go something like this

I didn’t flame any moderator here, I flame IBM, because they don’t give by updating of a BIOS a user any other chance than to buy a battery that lasts for one and a half year if u’re lucky!:frowning:

And I’m really sorry if someone thought that I flame him personal! :bow:


#12

Originally posted by AZImmortal

last time i checked, desktop computers don’t run off of batteries.:rolleyes:

I only wanted to say that’s strange that they (IBM) don’t demand also by desktop computers a battery when u update BIOS, because the risk is the same as by laptops if u don’t have battery and use only AC adapter! :eek:


#13

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]How many pins does this battery have? If there are only two, there’s no problem with hooking up an external battery to the laptop and flash it with that thing connected…

A colleage of mine has a car-battery attached to his IBM laptop, so he can work for over 10 hours when travelling with an international train or so… [/B]

This battery has 5 pins, I hope that I understood right what u meant with pin. The picture of a battery can u find also here: Battery

So I don’t have such luck to connect it so, but thx anyway to try to help me!


#14

Originally posted by Manijak
[B]

This battery has 5 pins, I hope that I understood right what u meant with pin. The picture of a battery can u find also here: Battery

So I don’t have such luck to connect it so, but thx anyway to try to help me! [/B]

I think some of the pins are used for measuring the capacity of the battery etc. If you find a wiring scheme of this connector (some Googlin’ might help :)) you’ll perhaps find a way to fool your laptop…


#15

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]

I think some of the pins are used for measuring the capacity of the battery etc. If you find a wiring scheme of this connector (some Googlin’ might help :)) you’ll perhaps find a way to fool your laptop… [/B]

Thx, I’ll try to find a suggested solution!

:slight_smile:


#16

Originally posted by Manijak
[B]Thx, I’ll try to find a suggested solution!

:slight_smile: [/B]

If that doesn’t work, maybe you can try to figure out the voltages with some kind of volt/multimeter…


#17

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
If that doesn’t work, maybe you can try to figure out the voltages with some kind of volt/multimeter…

That’s imposible because I have a dead battery and no equipment to do that!


#18

Originally posted by Manijak
That’s imposible because I have a dead battery and no equipment to do that!

Depends on how dead it is… if the battery is extremely weak, chances are big you still can measure what should be on what pins. The power of the battery may be to little to boot the laptop from, but it may be enough to use a meter on… I say: try it, trying never hurts!


#19

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
Depends on how dead it is… if the battery is extremely weak, chances are big you still can measure what should be on what pins. The power of the battery may be to little to boot the laptop from, but it may be enough to use a meter on… I say: try it, trying never hurts!

I have 2 total empty, dead batteries, I tried for few days to fill them up but didn’t get any sign from them… so I gave up and now I try to find another solution for updating BIOS without batteries… Updated BIOS should also support windows 2000 which I’d like to install…

Thx again m8 for help!

:bigsmile:


#20

Sometimes trying DOES hurt , so use this trick only when you have decent knowledge of battery acids , exploding things and 220 volts…

Sometimes batteries can be “kick started” by putting an extremely high current through it for a very short period of time. On the other hand… they might explode.

Safer trick (but still dangerous) is to heat up the battery pack a little , sometimes it gives some current after that.

3rd and last attempt : disassemble a complete battery pack carefully , examine the cells seperately and try if you can find those.

Again … if you set your house on fire , kill your grandma or pour battery acid on the cat… you have been warned so don’t sue me.