How to unlock the CPU multiplier

I have a P4 2,4GHz NORTHWOOD B and I’d like to change the setting of my CPU multilier but it’s impossible. Can I do anything to unlock it? If I buy a new P4 3,06 FSB533 must I be lucky to have it unlocked? Is there any other factor except for the CPU that plays a role against me and I can’t change it? Maybe my little memory? I’m planning to buy the Corsair TwinX512-3200LL at Christmas. Will that solve my problem?

Asus P4G8X Deluxe 1006BIOS
Intel P4 2,4B
only 256MB DDR333 Transcend
GeForce2 GTS

Everything appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Ummm… ALL Intel chips are multiplier locked from the factory, and there’s absolutely no way to unlock it. The only way to OC Intel chips are by jacking up the memory FSB, so your best bet is get the fastest RAM possible, ie, PC4200.

BTW, I wouldn’t get the FSB533 version of that P4 if I were you. Get the FSB800 version. Same price, faster performance. And if you do plan on OCing, get yourself something faster than PC3200, 'cause that won’t take you much higher than the stock.

Unless you come across an ES (Engineering Sample) on Ebay or on a FS/FT forum you won’t be able to unlock an Intel chip. Intel highly frowns on the selling of these chips. If you are going to do some extreme overclocking I would suggest getting the Abit AI7 motherboard and a C stepping Northwood chip.

[QUOTE=Stoner;505123]Ummm… ALL Intel chips are multiplier locked from the factory, and there’s absolutely no way to unlock it.[/QUOTE]

I just had something strange happen to a P4 1.8 Ghz Northwood, system had frozen when I was away so I hit the reset button and noticed when it booted the Mhz was not what I had it overclocked to, I went into the bios and checked to see if the FSB had changed but it was still set at 133 mhz.

So I hit ctrl alt del and let it load into windows and ran CPU-Z, here is what I saw.

Indeed the multiplier had changed from the 18x it should have been, and the CPU was even being detected as a 1.7 Ghz, I shutdown and powered back up again and it then went back to the correct multiplier.

I noticed when I was editing the bios for the P4PB-400 mainboard that there was a hidden multiplier setting, I did not enable it as I assumed that the multipliers were 100% locked on these CPU’s, the CPU is not a ES it is a retail boxed version.

Your northbridge is probably messed up. I had the same thing happen after increasing voltage on northbridge. I think a sensor gets too hot and starts throwing out random speeds.

[QUOTE=Boostland;2259374]I just had something strange happen to a P4 1.8 Ghz Northwood, system had frozen when I was away so I hit the reset button and noticed when it booted the Mhz was not what I had it overclocked to, I went into the bios and checked to see if the FSB had changed but it was still set at 133 mhz.

So I hit ctrl alt del and let it load into windows and ran CPU-Z, here is what I saw.

Indeed the multiplier had changed from the 18x it should have been, and the CPU was even being detected as a 1.7 Ghz, I shutdown and powered back up again and it then went back to the correct multiplier.

I noticed when I was editing the bios for the P4PB-400 mainboard that there was a hidden multiplier setting, I did not enable it as I assumed that the multipliers were 100% locked on these CPU’s, the CPU is not a ES it is a retail boxed version.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Stoner;505123]Ummm… ALL Intel chips are multiplier locked from the factory, and there’s absolutely no way to unlock it.[/QUOTE]

That is one of the main reasons I do not buy Intel for my own personal use and
try my best to talk anyone I’m building a system for or doing an upgrade for into
going with a AMD Black Edition CPU instead with the multiplier already unlocked. :iagree:

[B]Yes I know… I’m an AMD Fan Boy [/B]:bigsmile: :clap: :bow: :bow: :bow: long live [B]AMD[/B]