How to TRT a pressed DVD?

vbimport

When I try to make a TRT with Nero CD/DVD Speed of a videoDVD I get an error that the software does not have access permission (probably CSS)

How do I go about to circumvent this?

Thanks

Moomin

With AnyDVD it should be possible

Start the DVD in a playing software, leave it for a few seconds, and then TRT. This should usually work… :slight_smile:

If you don’t have AnyDVD, DVD43 is another option.

Thanks, it’s running now. Curious if all those nasty spots and concentric scraches at the outer edge will have an influence :slight_smile:

Moomin

Scratches are never a good thing on a DVD :frowning:

Nope, but this one is OOP, so it’d better be OK.

Moomin

If it’s off of print (I hope that I translated correctly OOP), I suggest to make a backup as soon as possible and store the original in a safe place :wink:

You can also scan. :slight_smile:

I think it’s out of print instead :wink:

When scanning a commercially DVD-Video doesn’t work (“test init failure”), one can try setting the spin-up time to 0 seconds… I have to do that with a couple of drives for them to accept scanning DL discs… :rolleyes:
Maybe it also depends on the CDSpeed version, though. :confused:

TRT with AnyDVD enable is NOT recommended. You will get a bizzare max speed of 120x or something like that.

It’s better that you disable AnyDVD, use DVD Decrypter to unscramble the CSS and then run TRT in Nero CD-DVD Speed. You can even close DVD Decrypter while running TRT. Alternative to DVD Decrypter method is to run the disc with a player (WinDVD or PowerDVD) as suggested by kg_evilboy above.

Does a higher speed TRT picks up on read errors that was present on standalone player?
I have an older disc that is known for degrading and it was reported that problems start right after the layer break and indeed I can’t play it properly after the l.b.
But on the Pio 112 (a picky reader apparently) this is how it looks (see pic)
Not quite right,but no serious speed drops.Which makes me wonder if there is any use of TRTing these. (disc plays ok on PC)

One other thing I have noticed is with a fairly recent disc that gives this terrible noise on standalone when loading,I put it through a TRT and it started at 2X going very slooow but never dropped speed.

In a given group of drives, only a successful reading test in the pickiest of them may be predictive of reading success in the other drives of the group…

Here, obviously, your standalone player is pickier than your Pioneer drive, and as it’s giving problems while reading @1X, thought the Pioneer encounters no issue while reading @12X near the layer break… :doh:

Logical conclusions can be:

1. This disc has marginal burning quality or poor reflectivity, thus has varying compatibility with readers, you need to change blank or burning method.
  2. Your standalone player is overly picky, you need a better one (I mean as a reader).
  3. Both 1 & 2. :bigsmile:

Replacing 2. may fix the reading issue with problematic media, but if the drive’s reading abilities are within DVD forum specifications, then you are only ignoring 1., not fixing the inherent problem. Similar to relying on over-tolerant PC reading drives to read marginal/degraded media. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is about a pressed “factory” DL media that is known to have degradation issues at the exact same spots as mine.I was surprised that the Pio did not show it on the high-speed test.

OFF (this is about another factory disc):

I’ve checked again on standalone and this whirling noise starts right when loading it(player having a bit of a trouble spinning it up), during the main menu and then a bit noiser than usual during the first chapter,after it it’s okay. Could it be a badly pressed/balanced disc?
As I said,the PC drive reads it slowly too (slow TRT starting from 2X). I have heard this noise only once with a disc that was badly scratched around the “lead-in” area.No significant scratches on this one.

I discovered two scratches around the lead-in area,that’s what causing the above problem.

Why do you assume the Pioneer is a poor reader of pressed media? My experience is that DVD writers generally have very good error correction abilities compared to other drives capable of reading DVD media.