How to test drive speeds?

vbimport

hi, i was wondering what would be a good way to test my DVD, CD-RW and hard drive to see if they were functioning at their optimal speeds. i'm not sure if i have my system setup correctly to fully utilize them.

I'm using

• Lite-On LTD-163D 16X DVD-ROM in Ultra DMA 2/ATA33

• LG GCE-8320B 32/10/40 CD-RW in Multi-Word DMA 2/PIO Mode 4

• 7200rpm Maxtor 40Gb harddrive in Ultra DMA 5/ATA100

currently, i have Sisoft Sandra and Nero CD Speed. what sort of results should i expect for the above? thanks guys!

dude easiest way i can think of is with nero drive speed, its standard with nero, just download it for trial even.

ok, i have Nero CD Speed. but i don’t know what to make out of the results i get. what should i expect for a 16X DVD in UDMA2 mode and a 32/10/40 CD-RW in PIO4 mode?

and how do i test for my hard drive?

thanks again.

You should expect, on a clean CD, on your CD-RW, the END speed to be around 40-42x, and the graph to be a more-or-less constant curve.
With the DVD-ROM, if testing it with a CD, you should note it’s CD-Speed (probably 48x) and it should be the END speed, the graph a more-or-less constant curve too.
With the HD, I really can’t help you, but you should test it with Sandra’s drive speed thing.

Edit: For testing the CD-speed, remember to use a full CD and not one with just a couple hundred MB.

totally agree with fallen, And yes for your hard drive i would use SiSoft Sandra I have 2002 and it is a sweet benchmark program

hi, i’ve ran some tests on my DVD and CD-RW drives. i got the results you mentioned, 48X end speed for DVD and 40X end speed for CD-RW, constant curve on the graph. but i noticed that these results weren’t always there for every disc. it depends on the quality of the CD i test on right? like for some discs, the curve is constant then suddenly dives down sharply at about the 20min mark and dives back upwards again. and on some other discs, the end speed is less. just wanted to make sure that in thsi case the disc is at fault not the drive.

about testing the HD with Sisoft Sandra, what kind of results should i be getting for a ATA100 7200rpm 40Gb drive?

thanks again guys!

Try SiSoft Sandra Benchmarks.

Even EZCD has inbuilt benchmarks.

Originally posted by 4th alphabet
hi, i’ve ran some tests on my DVD and CD-RW drives. i got the results you mentioned, 48X end speed for DVD and 40X end speed for CD-RW, constant curve on the graph. but i noticed that these results weren’t always there for every disc. it depends on the quality of the CD i test on right? like for some discs, the curve is constant then suddenly dives down sharply at about the 20min mark and dives back upwards again. and on some other discs, the end speed is less. just wanted to make sure that in thsi case the disc is at fault not the drive.

This is media dependent. A good burn on good media will not cause this slowdown. If you go in Extra/Scandisc…/Surface Check, you will notice that you getr yellow or maybe even red dots where the read speed dropped sharply. This would indicate a bad spot on the CD. OTOH, you may get different results with different readers with the same disc. That would indicate one reader is more sensitive to errors than the other. Also dropping the read speed itself (Using Nero Drive Speed) could lead to vastly improved results (gives bettre reads).

Originally posted by 4th alphabet
[B]about testing the HD with Sisoft Sandra, what kind of results should i be getting for a ATA100 7200rpm 40Gb drive?

thanks again guys!
[/B]

Results depends on your motherboard. What HD do you have? I have a Seagate Barracuda 80GB ATA 100 and I get figures in the 15-20MB/s range on my old Abit BH6 ATA33. On an ATA 100 MOBO, expect figures to increase by up to 50%.

You can also try Fresh Diagnose, it’s free and gives good results.

HTH…