How to test disk error rate with Nero?

vbimport

I would like to force my bruner to burn a 16X media at 52X, so I would like to know if there are any error on the burned disk.

How to find out the error rate using Nero?

The Nero package comes w/ a utility called Nero CD Speed (also free for d/l at cdspeed2000.com), in which you can select ScanDisc or CD Quality Test from the Extra menu.

But if you have a Lite-On burner, you can use KProbe, a much better scanner.

CD Doctor is another prog u can use if u have a lite-on burner.

OMFG, it’s Deja Vu all over again… am I going insane?:eek:

thanks, but I don’t know how to use the cdspeed to do that.

How do I create such a “testing disk” for testing?
Is it able to select different burn and read speed for testing?
How to test the burned “testing disk” in CDspeed?

Originally posted by HONG KONGer
[B]thanks, but I don’t know how to use the cdspeed to do that.

How do I create such a “testing disk” for testing?
Is it able to select different burn and read speed for testing?
How to test the burned “testing disk” in CDspeed? [/B]

Well you can ofcourse create a testdisk with CD Speed, but I think you’d better test the CDs you burned to see wether they are working fine or not…

You can do that by using the CD Quality test feature of CD speed, by selecting this item in the Extra menu. Just make sure you preselected the right drive (I assume that there is more than 1 drive in your system) and off you go.

BTW, if you happen to have a Plextor Premium writer, you can do quite a large number of tests with Plextools…

I think if he’s able to burn 16x media at 52x, it must be a LiteOn.
HONG KONGer, you’ll find a lot of info on testing in the media FAQ.
Create an image of about 700MB on your HD, using Nero’s “Image Recorder”, then just use that for testing purposes.

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]

Well you can ofcourse create a testdisk with CD Speed, but I think you’d better test the CDs you burned to see wether they are working fine or not…[/B]

Huh? Test it without creating testdisk? Any cd-r will do?

Originally posted by rdgrimes
I think if he’s able to burn 16x media at 52x, it must be a LiteOn.

I haven’t bought the drive yet, just want to know how to do that before I buy it.:cool:

Create an image of about 700MB on your HD, using Nero’s “Image Recorder”, then just use that for testing purposes.

Don’t understand. U mean create an image on HD then burn it to CD-r and test the error rate? Why not just burn it to CD-r directly?

Huh? Test it without creating testdisk? Any cd-r will do?

As a matter of fact, it will. Just keep notice of the fact that this CDR isn’t filled to the max 100%, so you can’t test the quality of the media on the part where nothing has been written. It’s a good test though, to see if what you burned, was burned well…

Don’t understand. U mean create an image on HD then burn it to CD-r and test the error rate? Why not just burn it to CD-r directly?

Well shoot me… you can indeed burn a 700mb disc without making an image first; result should be the same.

The only nice thing about the image is, is that you can burn the same disc over and over again, being sure everything really is the same…

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
The only nice thing about the image is, is that you can burn the same disc over and over again, being sure everything really is the same…

I don’t think the content of the image will effect the error rate, correct me if I’m wrong.

And, is it able to select different read speed in CDspeed for error checking?

cd speed doesn’t have any speed selection options; discs are always read at their highest capable speed, which is probably how u’d want to test them anyway since that’s how they would perform in actual practice.

an easy way to fill up a 700mb cd with data is to use cd speed, and go to Run Test > Create Data CD.