How to tell if my DVD's are bad or not

I just bought four DVD’s from blockbuster because they were having a 4 for 20$ sale. Anyway, I have 30 days to make sure they’re not messed up before I can’t get them replaced anymore. Is there anyway I can test these DVD’s with Nero DiscSpeed 4 or K-Probe or something? I have a LiteOn DVDRW LH-20A1H with firmawre LL06.
I tried to do a Transfer Rate Test, but it said “read of scrambled sector without authentication” right after I started it.
I’m doing a “Disc Quality” test right now, but I don’t know how to interpret the results.
Thanks!!

Chandler

[QUOTE=mew1033;2295613]I just bought four DVD’s from blockbuster because they were having a 4 for 20$ sale. Anyway, I have 30 days to make sure they’re not messed up before I can’t get them replaced anymore. Is there anyway I can test these DVD’s with Nero DiscSpeed 4 or K-Probe or something? I have a LiteOn DVDRW LH-20A1H with firmawre LL06.
I tried to do a Transfer Rate Test, but it said “read of scrambled sector without authentication” right after I started it.
I’m doing a “Disc Quality” test right now, but I don’t know how to interpret the results.
Thanks!!

Chandler[/QUOTE]

Well first how do they look on visual inspections?? And only real way to know if there now visible problem is to play them in standalone but first assuming the standalone laser lens is dirt and grease free and has been cleaned. That way you will eliminate any problems of the standalone. Since you have 30 days make some time to watch each one from beginning to end.

Rip them to your hard drive & back them up on a blank disc. If it works, at least you know if anything happens to the backup, you can pull out the original & rip it to your hard drive & back it up again.

Haha, I was afraid you’d say something like that… Okay, well I guess I’ll just watch them all. It’s not that bad.

Although, can you tell me how I could possibly interpret the results I get from the Disc Quality Scan? Here is the graph from the disc I’m most worried about.

[QUOTE=mew1033;2295613]I tried to do a Transfer Rate Test, but it said “read of scrambled sector without authentication” right after I started it.[/QUOTE] If you play the disc first in a DVD player program (very briefly, one second is enough), the disc will be unscrambled and you can then run a TRT on the disc. If you eject the disc and load it again, the same procedure must be used.

[QUOTE=mew1033;2295895]

Although, can you tell me how I could possibly interpret the results I get from the Disc Quality Scan? Here is the graph from the disc I’m most worried about.[/QUOTE]

I would exchange that disc.

Even if the disc plays fine, that scan is not good. Disc quality, no matter how handled, cared for and/or stored can only degrade, it will never improve with age.

You have a return policy, take advantage of it and get a better disc. That is the only way you will truly have peace of mind.

Although, can you tell me how I could possibly interpret the results I get from the Disc Quality Scan? Here is the graph from the disc I’m most worried about.
I dont know how the LH-20A1H is as a reader for reporting errors ( somehow i have the impression that it “overreacts”), nevertheless , as already mentioned, the scan is rather disappointing. I agree it’s probably safer to return it.