How to tell if a DVD has been copied

Sorry, i dont post often and might be putting this in the wrong forum but here goes anyway.

My friend works in an online DVD rental warehouse and he was telling me that theres now a way of finding out if an original DVD has been copied when they have been returned back to them. I dont mean that if they receive a copied DVD back, i mean they can tell if the original DVD they receve back has been illegaly duplicated.

Is that possible. Original DVD’s cannot be written to, so surley theres no way that any information can be passed on to the disc when it’s returned, and also if the dvd was decrypted in a DVD-ROM, then its not capable of writing any information to any disc anyway.

Is this total rubbish or could it be possible, i personally cant see how.

I’m no expert but I don’t see how it would possible to tell.

There was a company a while back that rented burned DVDs and they had some kind of imbedded serial that would enable them to tell if one of their DVDs were original or a copy. This is the only thing I have heard of concerning this that made sense. I think it was one of those groups that took all the violence and sex out of first run movies. I think they went out of business.

Anyway why would they do this? this would mean that rental companies would have to put money into checking the dvd, and they would loose money also by holding the copies and not sending them out again. It wouldnt be worth their while.

#150 post :slight_smile:

After thinking about this for several hours why would blockbuster care what you do? They got their fee and they move on. This is so stupid. I hope it does not create another secret chip implant or secret hard disk storage area thread. :rolleyes: The world is going nuts :iagree: Your buddy working at blockbuster does not automatically make him or her the brightest bulb on the tree.

BS not unless he is talking about those throwaway DVDs. -ROM certainly doesn’t stand for recording. Even if there was some imbedded code in there, how the hell could they tell it was copied? By detecting it being placed in a computer DVD-ROM or DVD-RW? If so then alot of innocent people would be going to jail as there are plenty of people who use their PC DVD Drives for just watching movies.

:eek:
This info may apply to new tech media like Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, never ever to DVD media!!

I don’t know if the new technology would need something like this as it already has the ability to shut down your player if it plays a copied disc, resulting in an embarassing and expensive service call.

Ok we had our fun. In answer to the thread starter the answer is NO :disagree:

Even HD and BR if it can’t phone home it don’t know spit. And I don’t plan on putting in any device with a NIC connection in the next 100 years. (except the motherboard) and even it’s connection is very controlled.

Sorry about all the above but sometimes we all have to blow off steam, Keeps us from blowing up. :slight_smile: Bk

Due to the huge number of irrelevent replies to this thread recently, these have been moved to a separate thread in the CD Freaks Living Room.

To help answer this question, from what I would imagine, the only way to tell if a DVD has been copied is if the rental DVD has software that reports where it is running from back to a central server (such as the rental company). For example, some DVDs have included DVD playback software such as “PC Friendly” discs, etc. If this is the case and the included software reports details about the disc, then if someone tries to copy the disc contents to a recordable disc and plays it back, the software could report that disc type back to the central server (while playing from a recordable). As a result they would know the IP address that is using a copied disc.

However, if anyone plays a disc using their own playback software (PowerDVD, WinDVD, etc.), does not allow the disc to launch any of its bundled software and copies it without the bundled software, then there is no easy way that the rental company can tell if the disc is copied.

So you would have to download software to let the program report you? Interesting… If the disk was copied with a program like clonecd, the disk wouldnt have the chance to report back.

Not download, the program could install itself from the disc. Just like Sony did. But I can think of several dozen ways of keeping anything from phoning home. And you never autorun a disc and you always use your own player. I could test this theroy by un connecting the router from the outside world and then look at the router log to see if any attempts were made to contact the outside world. The router don’t miss anything.

Ps: if a disc loaded a program without you blessing they are as guilty as sony and you have every right to the same justice sony is still feeling. Installing programs without your consent is illegal

Wouldnt that mean an autorun.exe file would be on the disk?

Most likley if it was installing it’s own player or something else. You would also find a .inf file

define:
Autorun.inf is the primary instruction file associated with the Autorun function. Autorun.inf itself is a simple text-based configuration file that tells the operating system which executable to start, which icon to use, and which additional menu commands to make available. In other words, autorun.inf tells Windows how to deal open the presentation and treat the contents of the CD.

The entire sequence is initiated when the “disk change notifcation” polling discovers a new disk in the CD or DVD ROM drive. Then, if the “Auto insert notification” feature is enabled (it is by default), Windows checks in the new disk’s root directory for the existence of an “autorun.inf” file. If found, Windows then reads and follows the specific instructions this file defines. If no autorun.inf file is found, then Windows refers to the new disk by its serial number and executes the default actions associated with the (data or audio) content on the disk.

So, it would have to have autorun.inf if it was going to report back?

something has to force an action on the disc.

Don’t worry if any of this type of things were true you would read about it on a million sites. Do you think any rental place would want to take on the kind of heat this sort of action would cause. Not if they want to stay in business.

So, theres no chance a vob or ifo file could contain a script to call back?

never heard of one yet. 95% of the rented discs are used in standalone players and they only connect to a tv so unless one if those implanted disc chips breaks off and hits you in the head I would say your safe.

If it makes people feel more warm and fuzzy
1 - nobody said your playing the rent at your house.
2 - if anybody is really that worried about it rip it in a computer that has no connection to the net.
3 - Make sure you put the orginal back in the case when you return it. That they might notice.
4 - Don’t worry about it. this is 100% BS at it’s best.

Now that would require some form of heavy copy protection, which would likely manifest itself as unreadable sectors.

That said, if someone imaged the disc, or ripped the content only, there is no way that they could really determine whether it was a legal copy playing or a “backup” copy from either an image (which is a exact duplicate of the disc) or a rip which wouldn’t attempt to start the software regardless.
And I’m yet to purchase a standalone DVD player that has internet capability :wink:

Like he said, “pc friendly” software reports back, however anydvd kills it.

AnyDVD is capable of removing unwanted movie features, including subtitles and prohibition messages such as copyright and FBI warnings. It also allows you to launch an external application whenever you insert or remove a disc, or prevent ‘PC-friendly’ software from automatically launching when you insert a video DVD.