How to stop error reporting in DVDFab HD Decrypter?

vbimport

I have learned about DVDFab HD Decrypter. I like that its free.

But people have told me that it is spyware because it sends error messages automatically to DVDFab company and there is no way to turn that off.

I did search but did not find answer, so asked here.

In configuration I find check box in general menu that say check for new version automatically and I do that so it does not auto check.

But I can find no check box about automatic error message sending.

Are people right that you can not turn off automatic sending of errors and that it is spyware?

Or is there a way to stop it from automatic sending?

I use version 5072 HD Decrypter

Thanks for any help.

[quote=Sub Zero;2105703]I have learned about DVDFab HD Decrypter. I like that its free.

But people have told me that it is spyware because it sends error messages automatically to DVDFab company and there is no way to turn that off.

I did search but did not find answer, so asked here.

In configuration I find check box in [B]general[/B] menu that say [B]check for new version automatically[/B] and I do that so it does not auto check.

But I can find no check box about automatic error message sending.

Are people right that you can not turn off automatic sending of errors and that it is spyware?

Or is there a way to stop it from automatic sending?

I use version 5072 HD Decrypter

Thanks for any help.[/quote]
That the first I heard about it sendong error messages automatically to dvdfab. It always asks me to enter my information and then send if I want to. But I never get error messages just crash reports. So to answer your question dvdfab is not spyware. also windows sends eerror messages to microsoft is that spyware?

[QUOTE=GJ;2105718]That the first I heard about it sendong error messages automatically to dvdfab. It always asks me to enter my information and then send if I want to. But I never get error messages just crash reports. So to answer your question dvdfab is not spyware. also windows sends eerror messages to microsoft is that spyware?[/QUOTE]

Thank you for reply.

I do not say its spyware, but others did. I want to find out if that is true or not.

Could you take screen shot of where it ask you to enter and choose to send or not? Then send me or show me screenshot?

When windows crashes, it ask me to send or not to send also. but HD Decrypter has no crashes yet so I don’t know what option to send or not to send is there.

[quote=Sub Zero;2105719]Thank you for reply.

I do not say its spyware, but others did. I want to find out if that is true or not.

Could you take screen shot of where it ask you to enter and choose to send or not? Then send me or show me screenshot?

When windows crashes, it ask me to send or not to send also. but HD Decrypter has no crashes yet so I don’t know what option to send or not to send is there.[/quote]
Sorry but I not have any screenshots saved. As those crashes have been fixed by the author already. You will know when they pop up but just so you know if dvdfab does crash then you should send the crash report in so the author can fix the problem that caused the crash to start with. Don’t worry about what others are telling you dvdfab has no spyware and everyone else who uses it will tell you the same thing. Maybe some other members and dvdfab users will post some responses soon for you too.

[QUOTE=GJ;2105729]Sorry but I not have any screenshots saved. As those crashes have been fixed by the author already. You will know when they pop up but just so you know if dvdfab does crash then you should send the crash report in so the author can fix the problem that caused the crash to start with. Don’t worry about what others are telling you dvdfab has no spyware and everyone else who uses it will tell you the same thing. Maybe some other members and dvdfab users will post some responses soon for you too.[/QUOTE]

Thank you again for reply.

I would like to be able to show people screen shot proving that you can check not to send so they can not call it spyware.

I look again for a check box in settings dialog but can only find the automatic update box to check.

It would be good if they put a box there too for error report sending so you could check yes to send or no to not send. It would also be easy to tell people that because you can turn it off like automatic update then it can not be called spyware. I could make a screen shot to show them that.

I hope to find more responses like you say. I would like to be sure of facts presented before I say to them that you can turn it off so no error report is sent.

I like the program. It does not cost and it rips dvd well and it does not crash yet for me. Is there reason why people say it is spying when it is not? Do they just not like DVDFab company?

I would like to find out how to replicate error screen. Is there a way to make error appear so to test it? None of the DVD I try cause any error report, so I would like find other way to cause error to trip so to see what it does.

Thank you

Hi Sub Zero,

DVDFab will only access internet in certain cases:

1. When checking new version, and you can turn it off in Settings.

2. When reporting crash, and you can cancel it.

3. When sending IFO files, and you can cancel it too.

If you want a screen shot, you can use “Send IFO Files”, the interface is same as crash report.

Best Regards,
Fengtao

[QUOTE=fengtao;2105734]Hi Sub Zero,

DVDFab will only access internet in certain cases:

1. When checking new version, and you can turn it off in Settings.

2. When reporting crash, and you can cancel it.

3. When sending IFO files, and you can cancel it too.

If you want a screen shot, you can use “Send IFO Files”, the interface is same as crash report.

Best Regards,
Fengtao[/QUOTE]

Thank you for reply.

Can you put checkbox into settings next to automatic update to turn off reporting of errors being sent out?

I think that would be something nobody could accuse of spyware if you put that in.

I will try other ideas you say in your reply also.

Thank you

[quote=Sub Zero;2105737]Thank you for reply.

Can you put checkbox into settings next to automatic update to turn off reporting of errors being sent out?
[/quote]
Sub Zero you can ask for this in the dvdfab feature request thread that has been started towards the top of the dvdfab forum.

I just try “Send IFO Files” as you say, and firewall show that DVDFabReport.exe try to acces the internet. Is that the error report some people think is spyware?

I will try to ask even simpler way so I understand. First assume update check box is not included in this and that “Check for new version automatically” box has no check in it, but is empty.

So then, will DVDFab HD Decrypter ever send any information to internet or the DVDFab company automatically at all? Include crashes, errors, or other problems?

Or, is DVDFab set to mean that user has to approve any information to be sent each time?

That nothing will be sent out without user specifically approving each thing with button or mouse click?

Thank you

[QUOTE=GJ;2105745]Sub Zero you can ask for this in the dvdfab feature request thread that has been started towards the top of the dvdfab forum.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for reply

So here is ok to ask questions, but other place is where you make suggested changes to improve program?

Thank you

Hi Sub Zero,

For “Send IFO Files”, it need your click, DVDFab will not do it automatically.

For crash report, we will add an option to allow user to disable it.

Best Regards,
Fengtao

[QUOTE=fengtao;2105755]Hi Sub Zero,

For “Send IFO Files”, it need your click, DVDFab will not do it automatically.

For crash report, we will add an option to allow user to disable it.

Best Regards,
Fengtao[/QUOTE]

This is great news! I just post feature request in other place as they ask:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/feature-requests-dvdfab-194325/index41.html

on that page or I think direct to this post:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/2105759-post1026.html

I thank you for helping this issue. I am happy to see this added soon.

Very good program and now they cannot call it spyware or bad for privacy.

I wish you much success!

Here is text of post just to save time:

I would very much like to request a new feature please.

In DVDFab HD Decrypter, under Common Settings dialog under the General screen, there is a box to check to turn off looking for updates automatically.

I would like to ask please if you could add new check box right below that update check box. I would like that box to say next to it some text to make it clear that you can prevent any error reporting or other information being sent over the internet to the DVDFab company. I give examples:

BOX - I choose not to allow any other information to be sent from the program to anyone over the internet. This include error reports, IFO file information and any other data.

or perhaps try this one:

BOX - Do not send out any user or program information (Completely Protect User Privacy)

or perhaps this try:

BOX - Send no information from this application. No error reports, no status information, no data at all.

I think an option like this would make it so people had to stop saying HD Decrypter is spyware or “phones home”.

You could show people that with one checked box, you can block any information from going out at all. No local network, no internet, nothing.

Just one click and you are completely safe.

Who could then argue with that?

Thank you

OK just had it crash on me. It crashed just after opening the dvd source but not sure what caused it to crash. Anyway here are 2 screen shots for you.

As I said in other thread - PARANOIA…

Feng and Ting need this info to continually improve their producrt as they ALWAYS do.

Thank you for your reply

Also thank you for posting screen shots

From the first look, it does not automatic send the report any more, is that true?

If true, I would wonder to ask which version brought the change to not be automatic but allow user to cancel instead.

I wonder who still would then say the data was automatic sending when it looks not to be true?

I must thank you for these. I find them helpful and will share with those who spoke to me about the privacy concern.

I would myself always wish to send what information is needed to help improve a program, yet do see why others could not want to and would want to make sure it was private protecting and no data was ever sent out.

It looks to be great that programmers of DVDFab HD Decrypter will add a specific box to check next to the automatic update box. With this new box, it will be very clear to anyone that it is in no way a spyware and will protect privacy.

I will install new version first thing to see the added box and then show that option to doubting people. I hope updates are completed soon and we are notified.

Thank you again

[quote=Sub Zero;2105795]Thank you for your reply

Also thank you for posting screen shots

From the first look, it does not automatic send the report any more, is that true?

If true, I would wonder to ask which version brought the change to not be automatic but allow user to cancel instead.

I wonder who still would then say the data was automatic sending when it looks not to be true?

I must thank you for these. I find them helpful and will share with those who spoke to me about the privacy concern.

I would myself always wish to send what information is needed to help improve a program, yet do see why others could not want to and would want to make sure it was private protecting and no data was ever sent out.

It looks to be great that programmers of DVDFab HD Decrypter will add a specific box to check next to the automatic update box. With this new box, it will be very clear to anyone that it is in no way a spyware and will protect privacy.

I will install new version first thing to see the added box and then show that option to doubting people. I hope updates are completed soon and we are notified.

Thank you again[/quote]
Just so you know I am using dvdfab platinum not the free dvdfab hd decryptor but the reports are done the same way as it is the same program. One is free and one is not

[QUOTE=GJ;2105803]Just so you know I am using dvdfab platinum not the free dvdfab hd decryptor but the reports are done the same way as it is the same program. One is free and one is not[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your reply

I understand about the free program. It also has a “nag” screen, which I heard was only recently added, and that seem to give people another way to be critical of the program, even though it is free.

I wonder what makes some want to put down a free program so much. Even after the box is added, maybe people will still try to find fault and tell you the program is bad anyway.

Is DVDFab HD Decrypter the only free program that does the ripping so that there are no more copy protections?

Is a very useful program so you can back up DVDs that you buy for children to watch. That way they do not break original and it saves money so I don’t have to purchase twice.

[quote=Sub Zero;2105817]Thank you for your reply

I understand about the free program. It also has a “nag” screen, which I heard was only recently added, and that seem to give people another way to be critical of the program, even though it is free.

I wonder what makes some want to put down a free program so much. Even after the box is added, maybe people will still try to find fault and tell you the program is bad anyway.

Is DVDFab HD Decrypter the only free program that does the ripping so that there are no more copy protections?

Is a very useful program so you can back up DVDs that you buy for children to watch. That way they do not break original and it saves money so I don’t have to purchase twice.[/quote]
At the moment I believe dvdfab hd decryptor is the only free program that is still updated that removes the latest copy protections