How to split a DVD movie into two?

Hi all,

I’m an absolute newbie in the DVD recording world, and now I’m seeking some help from you experts :smiley:

I’ve been able to copy some DVD movies with no problem as long as they can fit nicely into a DVD-R. But when I come to a movie of larger size (e.g 7GB) I dont know what to do. I heard that DVD X copy Xpress can fit that into a single DVD-R but will this reduce the quality or will it take out some features of the DVD? Also I don’t want to use DVD X Copy Xpress since it usually has errors and cant start.

I have tried to use CloneDVD and copied only the main title, no other features. But obviously this is undesireable and also can be problematic with some movies with the long main title.

So is there any way I can split the movie into two and copy them into 2 DVD-Rs without destructing the disc features? Or is there other ways to fit the whole movie in one disc but not removing all features (slight reduction in quality may be ok)

I have Nero 6, Alcohol 120, CloneDVD, and DVD X Copy Xpress.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

There’s one method here, using a free app

You can use IfoEdit to split up your DVD’s. I can give you a very quick guide, but I don’t have to much time right since I’m going on vacation 2morrow and I still need to pack and stuff. :wink:

Open ifoedit.
Choose open -> vts_01_0.ifo (if that is the ifo of the main movie)
Hit Vob Extra’s and select everything but Re-mux / Rebuild PTS / Remove Ilvu/Anglepoint
Choose Destination directory and hit Ok.
Then you get a new window where you can choose where to split. Just leave this alone and hit Split It.
Next you get to choose which audio & subs which you want to keep. Make your selection and hit Ok.
Next screen hit Check All and hit Strip It.
If you get an error “Error opening… seems it doesn’t exist” then just hit Ok.
Now IfoEdit will make to directories for you which contains the data for 2 DVDs.
You open disc1 -> VTS_01_0.IFO and hit VOB Extra’s (top) and choose Create New IFO’s. Make sure you create the new ifo’s in the same dir as where you opened the file from. Hit Ok to create.
Next do the same thing with disc2 and you’re done with IfoEdit.

If you burn this thing it should be ok according to the tutorial I’ve read it from but sometimes I didn’t had any subs anymore! :confused:

But if you choose to re-encode using DVD2one of CloneDVD it works like a charm! :smiley:

Good luck!

ps. if the mod of this forum would like to recieve a complete tutorial about this plz PM me.

You could use DVD Shrink 3.0b5

Disk 1
Open the disk,
Select re-author.
Drag the movie into the re-author window.
Select Start/End and leave Start chapter as 1, select end chapter to be part way through the movie. Click OK

Check compression status and either Rip or adjust end chapter to lower compression even more.

Disk 2
Once ripping the first section has finished go back to Start/End
Select the next chapter after the end chapter used above as the new Start chapter. Select end chapter as end of movie.

Check compression and Rip to a different folder

Burn each directory to different disks.

TIP: If you want to have a small amount of overlap between disks you can wind back a few frames using the << button so the second disk starts just before the beginning of the chapter.

You can also remove end credits in this way, or if you are lucky simply remove the last chapter altogether [and wind on a few frames if required using >>]

Thanks a lot! You guys are awesome!

I have tried DVD Shrink 3.0 b5 to squeeze the movie into one DVD-R and haven’t seen any obvious loss in quality just yet. But i noticed that the burned DVDs sometimes may not run as smooth as a straight copied one. Not sure if it is the DVD shrink prob, media prob or just random prob. I may try the splitting sometimes soon.

I do realise now that there are several programs that can do the job like DVD shrink. Which one do you think is the best (speed and quality)?

Thanks heaps. :slight_smile:

Why oh Why wasnt this thread around two weeks ago?..nine hours of jerking around down the tube…you guys rock.

Use DVDShrink and read this guide: http://www.dvdshrink.info/splitting-v2-3.php

It is very easy!

Hi chuoicanai,

Please try DVDFab at http://www.dvdfab.com. You can split full DVD to 2 discs.

Best Regards,
Fengtao

Do I have to do something with the audio directory ???

Originally posted by Wookie
[B]You can use IfoEdit to split up your DVD’s. I can give you a very quick guide, but I don’t have to much time right since I’m going on vacation 2morrow and I still need to pack and stuff. :wink:

Open ifoedit.
Choose open -> vts_01_0.ifo (if that is the ifo of the main movie)
Hit Vob Extra’s and select everything but Re-mux / Rebuild PTS / Remove Ilvu/Anglepoint
Choose Destination directory and hit Ok.
Then you get a new window where you can choose where to split. Just leave this alone and hit Split It.
Next you get to choose which audio & subs which you want to keep. Make your selection and hit Ok.
Next screen hit Check All and hit Strip It.
If you get an error “Error opening… seems it doesn’t exist” then just hit Ok.
Now IfoEdit will make to directories for you which contains the data for 2 DVDs.
You open disc1 -> VTS_01_0.IFO and hit VOB Extra’s (top) and choose Create New IFO’s. Make sure you create the new ifo’s in the same dir as where you opened the file from. Hit Ok to create.
Next do the same thing with disc2 and you’re done with IfoEdit.

If you burn this thing it should be ok according to the tutorial I’ve read it from but sometimes I didn’t had any subs anymore! :confused:

But if you choose to re-encode using DVD2one of CloneDVD it works like a charm! :smiley:

Good luck!

ps. if the mod of this forum would like to recieve a complete tutorial about this plz PM me. [/B]

Hi NVTRicc, welcome to the forum, do you realize you posted on a 4 year old thread?