How to spell?

Just wondered, what is the correct spelling of “disc/disk” I have seen it spelt both “disc” and “disk”. Is one US and one UK English?

Is it that “Disc” is for DVD/CD and “Disk” is for the hard drive?

Any ideas?

Ben :slight_smile:

Does this help? > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_or_disc

Disk is Dutch :wink:

Didn’t think to check wikipedia. I thought it was something to do with if it was optical or magnetic. Still, often I see software/CDs labeled as “Disk 1” and “Disk 2”. At least I had it the write way round, otherwise I would have to go and rename all my music, I am perfectionist like that.

Thanks,

Ben :slight_smile:

Flip a coin.

Disc = English spelling
Disk = American spelling

:iagree:

America likes to dictate it’s own terms … even when spelling is involved :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah we do debro and don’t you forget it! lol

Yes … America does everything their own way … but if everyone else is doing it uniformally … there must be reasons :stuck_out_tongue:

I prefer disc. All my opticals have this retro logo saying “compact disc” on it. It’s embedded in hardware. Therefor, it must be good.

:?

Hmmm. After reference to the “(US also disk)” in the definition, the OED does specifically mention disk when referring to “an information storage device for a computer”. But I reckon both are acceptable. Bit like colour and color along with countless others differences.

i’d think

disc = compact disc, dvd, magnetical optical media device or vinyl record
disk = hard disk
dish = that moldy stuff that used to be your dinner plates

A dish is a parabolic plate with one or more heads on it :stuck_out_tongue:

Or an attractive person like Britney Spears (sic)

In the UK we spell it with a “K”