How to speed up torrent downloads

Can I throw my two bits in, to help out as a long time bit torrent user: :slight_smile:

1. On a 2 MB ADSL connection, you need to set your upload to less than 21KB (That’s kiloBytes, not kilo-bits). I personally recommend a max of 18KB/Sec. On Azureus it’s easy to set upload limits.

Not only will you choke your connection otherwise, but it’s unlikley your router could handle it anyway due to the overhead of acks in outgoing tcp packets (if this techie stuff makes no sense to you, don’t worry just follow the settings and you’ll be fine)

1. IMPORTANT - on WindowsXP SP@, there is a limit of 10 concurrent TCP connections. So you really can’t use Bit torrent well no matter what your settings. The only solution is to update your Tcpip.sys file the patcher available from http://www.lvllord.de/
    Do a search for ‘WindowsXP TCPIP connections limit’ to learn more.

2. Do not expect top speeds unless there about 20 seeds and about 100 peers. On a less seeded torrent you can expect speeds like 20-60KB (just a rough idea).

3. Do not expect top speeds on tiscali - they are far from the best. Try to look on www.adslguide.org.uk for performance ratings of ISP’s. You’ll see tiscali is near the bottom. Try a smaller higher quality ISP. May cost a bit more but you will see a big difference.

4. If your PC has less than 1GB memory or is less than a P4-2GHz, switch to a lighter client - e.g. ABC or BitTornado. Azureus uses over 100MB of RAM and is Java based so its much more resource intensive than other clients.

5. If you want to Top speeds get a high quality router (though they’re pricey) like a draytek. Or try to find a Westell Proline 6000 on eBay. Should be a bout 50GPB and supports something called turbo-tcp which makes it the fastest router for bit torrent.

Well, I hope all this helps you and anyone else who has problems. :bigsmile:

1. Done that already.

2. Tried it. Apparently, my PC doesn’t need this update:

Intelligent TCPIP.SYS patcher / EventID 4226 patch Version 2.23d
(c) 2004-05 LvlLord (www.LvlLord.de) use parameter /? for more options

This program is in development. Visit http://www.LvlLord.de for a new version
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Windows mode
 - Recognised Windows-directory: C:\WINDOWS

- 'Windows XP SP1 or lower' TCPIP.SYS detected ...
   Your system has no limitation. No patching needed ...

- Build of TCPIP.SYS  : 5.1.2600.0 (I386)

Patch aborted ...
Press any key to exit ...
  1. I only ever select the torrents that have 20+ seeds. I think that 20-60 Kb/s on my 2 Megabyte connection is an extremely unreasonable download speed.

2. Please provide me a direct link to as to where you got this information from. All I can find on adslguide.org.uk is a list of ISPs and several tick boxes where you can compare one ISP with another. As far as I’m concerned, Tiscali are a god-like ISP - I’ve [I]never[/I], [B]ever[/B] had a problem with them. Their customer service, quality and consistency of speeds and reliability are all top-notch as far as I’m concerned. And I’ve been with them for quite a while now (since September 2005 to be exact).

3. My PC has a P4 2 Ghz processor with 256 Mb of RAM. But I don’t think the problem lies here. And besides, I’ve tried other BitTorrent clients such as uTorrent and BitComet but I’ve never had any of these clients sustain a consistent download speed like Azureus has.

4. High quality router? Is the Netgear DG814 good enough quality for you?

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/dg814.asp

It was [I]very[/I] pricey when I first bought it a couple of years back. It’s been extremely reliable for me since the days when I first signed up for 512 Kb/s broadband.

Apologies for the late reply by the way.

ok, heres the thing, ive been torrentin for a while and you have to check you leachers, seeders are important, but you need leachers too, otherwise the synch ratio is off, ive torrented files that only had 5 of both and they went faster then a torrent with 100 seeders and 37 leachers, make sure that the torrent has as close as possible seeders/leachers

[QUOTE=masteromegon;1997335]ok, heres the thing, ive been torrentin for a while and you have to check you leachers, seeders are important, but you need leachers too, otherwise the synch ratio is off, ive torrented files that only had 5 of both and they went faster then a torrent with 100 seeders and 37 leachers, make sure that the torrent has as close as possible seeders/leachers[/QUOTE]

FYI to masteromegon you might want to look at the date of the post was back in 2006…I forget that sometimes but that’s always something to check when you’re going to reply to a thread…

Many things:
Limit uploads, close rest of applications that use Internet, try to join with many seeds, all very obvious. I use utorrent, does not take lots of CPU works as Bittornado, Bittorent, etc.

i guess i didnt check the date, lol, but it doesnt matter whether you close other internet apps or not, torrenting programs have higher system priority in windows based systems due to the integration of the program, and because of this they get first dibps on the connection

It also depends on your upload speed.
I have a 25 meg/s connection and The best I’ve gotten with maybe 2-300 seeders is about 700 kb/s
But if I’m lucky on a public tracker I’ll get about 30-40 kb/s.

none Of Your Answers Are Correct! Your Isp Is Slowing Down Your Connection To Torrents For Commercial Purposes. In A Few Years You Will Get 1kb/sec Max For Your Torrents. Your Package Speed Doesnt Reflect Torrent Downloading. No Set Ups, No Tracker Updates, No Encryption, Just Logistics Of Your Interntet Service Provider.

Its actually illegal for ISP’s to slow .torrent traffic.

1. Change port to above the 6000s.

2. Get uTorrent 1.61 (higher is linked to Bittorrent and in links with the MPAA or something).

3. Enable encryption (ISPs sometimes throttle certain kinds of data).

4. Disable UPnP port mapping.

use utorrent as ur client

I’ve found anything after uTorrent 1.7.7 is unstable running XPSP3

delete