How to speed up torrent downloads

I’m really getting frustrated now.

Every torrent I download drops to like 10 Kb/s. :a

I’m on a 2 Megabyte connection for god’s sake. Everything takes (what seems to be) a lifetime to download through BitTorrent.

I haven’t got all day to be downloading. There are other people in the house who want to use the connection.

Can anybody please help? :sad:

Get the auto-speed plugin. I used to have the exact same problem. Now, I can get speeds up to 121 kbps and sometimes higher. Heres a link-
http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=autospeed
Download and install the plugin, restart Azureus, and you should be good to go.

I’ve downloaded it but how do I install it? It’s just a .jar file.

[ol]
[li]In Azureus, click the ‘Plugins’ menu and select ‘Installation Wizard…’
[/li][li]On the dialogue that appears, tick ‘By file’ and click ‘Next’
[/li][li]Click ‘Browse…’, locate and select the .jar file you downloaded, click ‘OK’
[/li][li]Click ‘Next’ and click ‘Finish’
[/li][li]On the Azureus Plugin Installer dialogue that appears, click on ‘Install’
[/li][li]Once complete, click ‘Close’
[/li][/ol]
The plugin will now appear on the Plugins menu as ‘Auto Speed’ :wink:

Here is a quote I was able to find. Hope it helps.

If you want to install plugins, there is a procedure that must be followed so that they show up correctly. This is it:

Download the relevant plugin from: http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_list.php

Install the plugin in the following relevant location for your OS: For easiness I will use “<pluginname>” to refer to all plugin name directories, and “plugin.jar” to refer to any and all plugins and their associated files, so for example," /<pluginname>/plugin.jar" might translate into “/safepeer/safepeer.jar”, where safepeer.jar includes the other files that come with it, such as blocklist.properties, etc. All those connected relevant files for each plugin all go in the same directory, in this example /plugins/safepeer/<all the safepeerfiles> Please Note: Each plugin must have its own directory with its own name within the plugins directory for the plugin to go in to. This is important.

For Mac OS X: /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Azureus/plugins/<pluginname>/plugin.jar (and any other included relevant files that came with the plugin go in here too)

For Windows: C:\Documents and Settings&lt;username>\Application Data\Azureus\plugins&lt;pluginname>\plugin.jar (and any other included relevant files that came with the plugin go in here too - please remember that the Application Data folder may be hidden, so you may have to enable ‘Show hidden files and folders’ under Tools > Folder Options > View > Show Hidden Files and Folders in your explorer window. Alternatively, type the above path into the address bar which will take you straight there)

For Linux: /home/<username>/.Azureus/plugins/<pluginname>/plugin.jar (plus the other associated files, of course)

Quit Azureus, and then restart Azureus.

Please Note: Do check Tools>Options>Plugins, and the Plugins menu for confirmation that the plugin has actually loaded. If the plugin is not visible then chances are the plugin has not loaded correctly, and it might be wise to go through the instructions again, carefully checking each step.

try utorrent. thats what i use and i get about 300kbs. utorrent is small, compact, and doesn’t hog memory. also depend on your connection as well as seeders and peers. usually when i download at private sites they are MUCH faster than public sites.

I’ve installed the Auto Speed plugin. But I can’t see any major difference in download speed.

The download speed still drops to about 20 Kb/s but for some reason never goes above 40 Kb/s. And I’m connected to about 40 out of 71 seeds and 43 out of 113 peers.

I just have no idea why the download speed has to drop. :a It started at 120 Kb/s but now rarely goes above 40 Kb/s. I mean, it’s only using just over an eight of the connection and the connection isn’t being used for anything else.

People say that BitTorrent is the best p2p application on the internet but how can it be the best when you often have to wait days (not hours) to complete your download? :confused:

Isn’t downloading from private sites risky? Isn’t there a bigger chance of getting caught from private sites?

I might try uTorrent if I cant seem to get Azereus working at optimum speed.

I trust uTorrent, I use it, but I like Azureus more for some reason…

uTorrent is even worse. I can’t even get anything to download quicker than 4 Kb/s.

Just out of curiosity, what Internet service provider are you using? Some ISP’s are well known for trottling P2P traffic and this could easily be the case here if have not had any downloads with a sustained transfer rate of over 100KB/s for your connection.

Going by the number of seeds vs. peers you had for the connection above, 20KB/s to 40KB/sc seems about right to me. Basically, if a torrent consists of a lot of peers, but only a handful of seeds, then with the average uplink of around 256k, the average transfer speed you can expect would be around 25KB/sec to 32KB/sec. The reason the torrent starts off so quick is due to what peers it can connect to for data as the download progresses. For example, when you first start a download, virtually every peer that has any part fo the file downloaded can act as a potential source to download form. However, as your download progresses, the number of peers that have parts of the file that you don’t decreases. However, if the torrent has a lot of seeds but only a few peers such as 100 seeds and 20 peers, you can easily expect speeds of in exceess of 100KB/sec.

A fairly simple way to check if your ISP is throttling your P2P traffic is to download a large file that consists mainly of seeds and see if the download speed is sustained through the download. For example, the OpenOffice package torrent (>90MB) would make a good test as the torrent mainly consists of seeds. If you don’t see a sustained speed of over 100KB/sec (in my case around 200KB/sec for my 2Mb connection) for this torrent, then either your ISP is trottling P2P traffic or your connection has a high contention on it.

have u “unlock” ur window limitation?
there is a small software you can download, google it “p2p window limit”.

I’m with Tiscali. I don’t know if that makes any difference or not.

The problem is, I can get a regular download speed in excess of 100 Kb/s using popular p2p software (such as Frostwire). But my torrents never download quicker than 40-50 Kb/s. And that takes up only a quarter of my connection. :sad:

I’ve pretty much tried everything that everyone here has suggested.

I think I might try downloading that OpenOffice torrent. But at the moment, I’m trying to finish off my current torrent download. The download speed has plummeted to a measly 1 Kb/s and I’ve already downloaded 93% of the file. :a

I googled it like you said but what am I supposed to be looking for?

I’ve just tried the OpenOffice torrent you linked in your post. The download speed didn’t go above 30 Kb/s. :a

What do you mean by “your ISP is throttling p2p traffic or your connection has a high contention ratio”? Unfortunately, I think there’s definitely something up with my connection. :sad:

The slow OpenOffice transfer is a clear sign that is either ISP related, especially if you get faster transfer rates downloading from webpages.

One way ISPs try to give higher speed connections without ugprading their backbones is to give priority to HTTP (for browsing and regular downloads) and throttling connections they believe to be bandwidth hoggers. Throttling usually means enforcing a speed cap.

Your Internet Service Provider can make a huge difference. Unfortunately, I have heard lots of complaints about Tiscali capping P2P transfers and often not often not even providing anywhere near their advertised speeds even with regular HTTP downloads. If you don’t believe me, have a look at this user review page of Tiscali and with an average rating of 2 out of 10 from 83 users, you are certainly not alone:
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/censura.php?cmd=details&itemid=260

What kind of upload speed are you pushing? I know you said your on a 2mb line so that usually means you can only up max 30kbs a second. You said you messed with your config in the other app but have you done the same in uTorrent? Manually change your upload speed in settings to 5 or 10kbs. Also I believe the way it used to work for bittorrent’s is the faster you upload or the more you upload the faster download you get. I am pushing 30kbs on my connection while still getting 230kbs download on my 3mb dsl line. My max upload is 60kbs though. Also just because there are a lot of people spreading it dosn’t mean your going to be able to connect because I am sure everyone else is trying to get the best ratio of download:upload that is in there favor. So if everyone is uploading only 5kbs then it becomes a slow hag.

The speed is only capped at busy times (like in the evenings). But it never falls below 1.7 Mb. I regularly check the speed and these results are typical for the evenings:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=1151698295998455628

But still, I should be able to download at least at 150 Kb/s.

To be honest, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of Tiscali capping p2p download speeds. I have heard of their “fair usage” policy but as I understand, it only applies to heavy downloaders. And I’m not a heavy downloader. :disagree:

I’m quite surprised as to why so many people have given Tiscali such a bad score. :confused: They’ve been [I]very[/I] reliable for me. The speed has been pretty much what I expected it to be, very consistent and reliable. :smiley: And I’ve also not had any problems with their customer service.

But if they [I]are[/I] indeed capping my p2p download speeds, then I guess I’m going to have to switch to another ISP when my 12 month contract runs out in September. So does anyone here know of any UK ISPs that don’t cap their p2p download speeds?

So Tiscali are throttling p2p traffic, eh?

Frostwire:

Azureus:

:doh:

Big difference between the two if you ask me. :iagree: And remember that this is coming from a 2 Megabyte connection. Note that the filenames had to be blanked out but both files are similiar in size and type.

I think I’ve dispelled the myth that Tiscali are deliberately lowering my download speeds. It looks like to me the problem lies with the BitTorrent network itself. :sad:

Do I even want to know why the files were blanked out? Looking at long, high res dirty movies, are we:)?

There is a fair difference between the way BitTorrent and Gnutella (which Frostwire runs over) works, what tyep of content is generally shared over each and how ISPs handle their traffic. BitTorrent tends to be regarded as the file sharing network that takes up the most bandwidth, followed by the eDonkey2000 network (which eMule runs over) and these are usually the two most common trottled by ISPs. The Gnutella network consumes much less bandwidth as it is mainly used for sharing music and with the music industries filing lawsuits non-stop, this network has not grown as much as the other two. As a result, this likely explains why Tiscali may leave Gnutella running at full speed, but potentially limit the speed of BitTorrent.

This CacheLogic slide gives a fairly good comparison of how much bandwidth each network uses back in 2005 across various countries, although while the stats are about a year old, I don’t think the usage would have varied much since. This CacheLogic Slide shows a comparison of the percentages of audio, video and other content shared on each network during 2005.

If you do plan on changing ISP or are interested in seeing what ISP’s trottle BitTorrent or limit it altogether, have a look at this page. This list covers ISPs around the world, however there are a couple of UK culprits listed. Going by the list, Tiscali limits BitTorrent traffic during certain times of the day, so if you need to download a large file, you may have better luck leaving your PC run overnight. :wink:

Wow this thread is still here??:doh:

I could show you screen shots of hundreds of different situations resulting in biassed commets .
Of course a network that concentrates on music is gonna use less bandwidth then a mostly video and larger files:iagree:
The rest is just quality of seeds…get a better Source

:bow: The private sites:rolleyes: