How to solve problems at end of DVD

Hi, yesterday I discovered a few problems in DVDS burned by a friend with a 1004.
She has Firmware version 043, Nero as suppied with the Burner and a few more programs.
The error was always in the last part of the CD, i.e. it started fine, and had problems only in the last few minutes fefore ending.
The same error occurred with various different brand of DVD, +R -R +RW, burned with different software (NERO,CLONEDVD, etc.).

This made me think about the data-rate for firmware 043 and 045, reported in this forum in this thread :
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79970 , evidencing data-rate problem in the last few minutes of burning.

May this be the cause of the errors? If yes, I’m afraid only a new firmware can help.

Anyone got similar problems, DVD copies starting fine, everything ok, but having problems in the last minutes?
Anyone got a solution to this?

Thanks all.

i ask again (taking the risk of making a fool of myself) if this is due to the fact that the btc 1004 does not support burn proof?

like, loosing data near the end…
or does it have burn proof and i’m really making a fool of myself :stuck_out_tongue:

or maybe the ide cable doesn’t support the required speed…
or maybe i don’t have udma enabled…

(jesus, i got to check these things!)

I had exactly the same problems when i play back my burnt DVD-Rs in my older stand-alone dvd players(BLUESky DV 2400 and PS2) no matter what software i used.The solution which i found the hard way(spending money) experimenting with different media is to stick with the following media and MID codes:
TDK -R 4X(TYG01) a little bit expensive though
and cheap medias (no name )but with great MID codes:
no name-R ( TYG01 ) that is really TAIYO YUDEN 4X
no name -R( SONY04D1) that is SONY 4X
With these media i solvrd my problems for they are being playedback flawllesly with the above mentioned dvd players.
BTW all other media i used, played perfectly(with very few exceptions) in my SONY DVP NS330.
My burner is BTC 1004 FW 0043 and i use NERO 6.00.23 or COPYTODVD for burning and DVD2ONE for recoding.

I have also experienced the same problem with 2 batches (2x and 4x) of Memorex DVD-R. For a few, the burn failed at 99% or even during the lead-out phase. For a few others, the burn went flawlessly, but last minutes of the discs are difficult or impossible to read in my DVD-ROM.

I am not sure how much responsibility each the 1004 burner, the DVD-ROM reader and the media have for this problem, but as a safety measure, I try not to completely fill my DVDs and systematically check the readability of the last files.

Marder

Originally posted by buf
(jesus, i got to check these things!)

You’re right. You should check these things before posting instead of guessing :slight_smile:

I use my old PC (PII 333Mhz) for downloading an burning. I have learned the hard way to close all applications before burning a DVD with the BTC 1004.

I also noticed that when I use a specific type of DVD-R’s Nero ScanDisk always reports te first cluster to be unreadable and other DVD’s always have errors at the end.

Another thing I noticed is that when I burn DVD’s with Pinnacle InstantCopy 8 I need to restart the application between two DVD’s. If I don’t restart the application the second disk always fails burning (no matter what brand I use) during writing of the beginning (a lead-in I think it’s called) making the disk unusable. This could ofcourse be a bug in the Pinnacle InstantCopy software, but I doubt that theory.

I stopped updating my firmware sticking to v039, because new firmwares just keep screwing up my DVD’s (costing me time and money).

And I do not have the idea that BTC will ever add the DVD’s they sell at CDRFreaks to their media compatibillity list. At least not the ones I bought. (The unbranded 50pc DVD-R spindel @ E40 and the Datatrack DVD+R 10pc spindel).

The best thing you could do is what I did, just come to peace with the fact that the thing sometimes burns ok and the rest of the time screws up your DVD’s and time.

Originally posted by YaZzo
Another thing I noticed is that when I burn DVD’s with Pinnacle InstantCopy 8 I need to restart the application between two DVD’s. If I don’t restart the application the second disk always fails burning (no matter what brand I use) during writing of the beginning (a lead-in I think it’s called) making the disk unusable. This could ofcourse be a bug in the Pinnacle InstantCopy software, but I doubt that theory.

I’ve experienced that, too, occasinally even using the latest Nero 5.5.10.54 and firmware 43. Might be a small problem with soft-reset or simply re-initialization of the drive between sessions. The problem was more frequent with previous versions of the firmware. BTW, if using good media, this problem seldom appears.

instantcopy8 hangs on my machine during the shrinking process, which is a problem reported on their forum, does it happen to you guys? after that, I tried to copy a 4.0GB ripped DVD to just test out its recording ability and both times it says successful completion but it turns out they are coasters, so now I just use DVDShrink to shrink the files and use nero I think I have better control over the process

regarding the failing at the very end, I also run into the these errors: Invalid block address Invalid write state Could not perform end of Disc-At-Once when it was closing my disc, but I solved it by uninstalling instantcopy, roxio, and nero and reinstalling just nero

I noticed that InstantCopy 8 hangs on my PC when it goes in “hibernation”/standby mode … IC 8 also hangs when my monitor is in standby mode (I’m using a Dell 8200 Inspiron Laptop).

So when I’m shrinking DVD’s I disable all standby settings. I continue to use IC 8 because it produces the best quality, that way I can copy the complete DVD’s (all extra’s @ 30% quality and the movie @ 60% to 80%) and not only the movie to a 4,7GB disk.

At 60% a difference in quality is not noticable in comparisson with the original.

Maybe disabling standby settings will work for you too.

is the preview working for you? yaZzo, mine is not working, also what’s “user defined” in the customized menu next to complete movie and main movie only? thanks

I’m using the retail version, if that is what you mean.

The option “user defined” means you can set the compression level for every movie that is on the DVD. I always use this option to set the main movie to the highest possible quality and still keeping the extra’s on the DVD (at the lowest quality possible (30%), which is still very watchable).

Hope that answers your question.

I think I’m getting the question, the preview function is working for me on both my computers.

However on one computer it sometimes displays the movie in “negative colors” like the colors on a photo print.

the preview doesn’t work on both my retail 7.0 and beta 8.0 versions, and on 8.0, if “user defined” lets you fine tune compression on each title, “complete movie” also lets you do that, so I don’t know what’s the difference for “user defined”

Then I don’t know what the function “user defined” does, maybe you could find it in the manual …