How to shrink a Blu-Ray-backup?

vbimport

When you “copy” a complete Blu-Ray-disc with AnyDVDHD to your harddrie and then TSRemux it , so that you only keep ex. English Audio and subtitles - the image STILL is too big to fit on a 25GB-blu-ray BD-r…

Is there any program that lets you choose the size of the “output-image” so that the quality is a little bit lower ( lets say ca. 90-95% ) and makes the image fit on a single-layer-BD-r ??? :rolleyes:

Hopefully soon we’ll get BD Shrink as dvdshrink is working on a [I]related project[/I]

Jdobbs is also working on BDRebuilder with exceptionally promising results so far.

One particularly interesting development in this regard relates to the H.264 codec which is supported by all Blu-ray players.

Apparently the H.264 codec is so efficient you can compress to dual layer DVD with no apparent loss in quality making this a very much cheaper way to backup your Blu-ray discs.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I guess converting to a DVD is too much? :wink:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f142/bd2dvd-blu-ray-dvd-guide-232165/

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2107826]I guess converting to a DVD is too much? :wink:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f142/bd2dvd-blu-ray-dvd-guide-232165/[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily.

According to Jdobbs there are two options here.

Movies under two hours he’s found to be good quality on a single DVD.

Alternatively if you reduce the resolution to 1280x720 then apparently you pretty much never need dual layer.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2105725]Jdobbs is also working on BDRebuilder with exceptionally promising results so far.

One particularly interesting development in this regard relates to the H.264 codec which is supported by all Blu-ray players.

Apparently the H.264 codec is so efficient you can compress to dual layer DVD with no apparent loss in quality making this a very much cheaper way to backup your Blu-ray discs.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

will several h.264 or x.264 on one dvd play just fine on a blu-ray player as well?

[quote=Wombler;2107865]According to Jdobbs there are two options here.

Movies under two hours he’s found to be good quality on a single DVD.
[/quote]Are you sure jdobbs meant single layer DVD? Because in his posts he said only “Single Layer” didn’t mention DVD or BD.
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1167372&postcount=189

I doubt even with the efficient AVC a 2 hours blu-ray movie will fit on 4.7GB DVD disc unless you shrink it somehow and that means video quality is lower and if you have very large HDTV you will notice.

[QUOTE=Chetwood;2105708]Hopefully soon we’ll get BD Shrink as dvdshrink is working on a [I]related project[/I]…[/QUOTE]
He hasn’t given any clue as to what the program is about. I don’t know where you got that idea from.

Let me think… all we’ve seen so far from him is DVD Shrink which he promised not to continue work on and hasn’t done so in the past 3 years. Now all the buzz is about HD content and suddenly he pops up and talks of a [B]related[/B] project. Heck, I have no idea what made me think in this direction…

[QUOTE=Blodulv;2108103]will several h.264 or x.264 on one dvd play just fine on a blu-ray player as well?[/QUOTE]

H.264 is supported by all Blu-ray players as standard.

So you can compress to DVD and the disc will play in any Blu-ray player.

Even the PS3.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=zaina;2108160]Are you sure jdobbs meant single layer DVD? Because in his posts he said only “Single Layer” didn’t mention DVD or BD.
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1167372&postcount=189

I doubt even with the efficient AVC a 2 hours blu-ray movie will fit on 4.7GB DVD disc unless you shrink it somehow and that means video quality is lower and if you have very large HDTV you will notice.[/QUOTE]

If you read the rest of that thread all that will become clear.

It’s DVD he’s talking about and the whole thrust of that thread is that the efficiency of the H.264 codec is so good that amazingly you can compress to dual layer DVD apparently without [U]any[/U] perceptable loss in quality.

I appreciate that quality is a very subjective matter but Jdobbs is an expert in this field and I would trust his judgements implicitly in that regard.

As a result others have asked about single layer DVD and the post you’ve cited is in response to those queries.

Read the entire thread though and all will be revealed.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Chetwood;2108228]Let me think… all we’ve seen so far from him is DVD Shrink which he promised not to continue work on and hasn’t done so in the past 3 years. Now all the buzz is about HD content and suddenly he pops up and talks of a [B]related[/B] project. Heck, I have no idea what made me think in this direction…[/QUOTE]
Until we hear something from him, it is only speculation for now. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=linx05;2108222]He hasn’t given any clue as to what the program is about. [/QUOTE]

Absolutely. :iagree:

I get the impression as well that everyone is also assuming that this ‘BD Shrink’ (if it is ever even produced) will be free.

That is almost certainly not the case.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=linx05;2108266]Until we hear something from him, it is only speculation for now. :)[/QUOTE]

I can’t remember having said anything to the contrary.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2108268]I get the impression as well that everyone is also assuming that this ‘BD Shrink’ (if it is ever even produced) will be free.

That is almost certainly not the case.[/QUOTE]
I don’t care cause I’d also have paid for DVD Shrink since it’s an amazing piece of software in terms of features and usability.

[quote=Wombler;2108264]It’s DVD he’s talking about and the whole thrust of that thread is that the efficiency of the H.264 codec is so good that amazingly you can compress to dual layer DVD apparently without [U]any[/U] perceptable loss in quality.[/quote] You mentioned “compress” so the original is still encoded to a lower quality. Quality is relative to each human eyes and system setup so I wonder how it will look if the video is blown up to a big HDTV ie 65", 100" and up.

Fitting a blu-ray movie into DVD single layer or dual layer is possible however…

1. You still need a blu-ray player or PS3 to play it back

2. You won’t be able to include lossless audio in DVD single layer, eq MPCM (multi-channel PCM) or DTS-HD Master Audio since they take more than 4 GB on a 2 hours movie. To include only DD 5.1 will be a downgrade for hi-def enthusiast who owns AV Receiver that supports HD sounds.

I think it’s still nice to have tools that can shrink blu-ray but I’d like to see the inclusion of menus and extras in addition to main movie only. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=zaina;2108902]You mentioned “compress” so the original is still encoded to a lower quality. Quality is relative to each human eyes and system setup so I wonder how it will look if the video is blown up to a big HDTV ie 65", 100" and up.[/QUOTE]

I can’t comment on huge screens as that hasn’t been discussed and I’d already stated that quality is subjective so I’m not quite sure what you’re aiming at.

Compression isn’t always associated with loss of quality and Jdobbs theory on this is that the original discs are very inefficiently compressed and the increased efficiency of the h.264 codec is enough on it’s own to compress to DVD sizes.

All of this is in the thread though as advised earlier.

The instructions there are pretty specific too and detail exactly what you need to carry out the same tests, so if you’re unhappy to rely on the reported results then it would be easy trying it out yourself to see.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=zevia;2108932]Fitting a blu-ray movie into DVD single layer or dual layer is possible however…

1. You still need a blu-ray player or PS3 to play it back

2. You won’t be able to include lossless audio in DVD single layer, eq MPCM (multi-channel PCM) or DTS-HD Master Audio since they take more than 4 GB on a 2 hours movie. To include only DD 5.1 will be a downgrade for hi-def enthusiast who owns AV Receiver that supports HD sounds.

I think it’s still nice to have tools that can shrink blu-ray but I’d like to see the inclusion of menus and extras in addition to main movie only. :)[/QUOTE]

Good point with the audio but I’m sure the majority of users will view DD 5.1 as an acceptable compromise and the people that aren’t happy with that will backup to HD media.

As the tools to convert the main movie are already readily available I think it’s a fairly safe speculation that full discs are what BD Rebuilder will be all about.

[B]Wombler[/B]

jeeze. fitting a blu-ray movie onto a dvd…

that’s both beautiful and insane.