How to set a serial number on the Cd to be written?

Hello.

My program burns CD’s/DVD’s (via Nero SDK). Those CD/DVD’s are sent out to a lot of receivers, countrywide. Now, I’ve got error reports from some people who claims that the two CD’s they got is identical to eachother. That is not the case.

The CD’s in question got the same volume label, the same anount of files, with identical file names. But the content of the files differ.

When the receiver has read the first CD, ejects it and puts in CD No 2, the information doesn’t change.

My guess is that the Windows driver (cdrom.sys) doesn’t notice the replaced CD. The result is that no WM_DEVICECHANCE message is created.

The content of the files (from the first CD) seems cached, so the user still sees the files from CD No 1, despite the fact that CD No2 is inserted.
F5 doesn’t help, since the file system doesn’t become refreshed.
If the user reads a completely different CD between “my” CD’s, the file system becomes refreshed and the information is correct.

A closer look at two “duplicate” (not) CD’s shows that they got an identical serial number, and I suspect that’s the cause of the problem.

Is there a way to (manually) set a serial number, when burning a CD/DVD?
I’m using Nero8 and Nerp API/SDK v1.01 (I probably should upgrade to a newer version).

TIA.
Kakan.

Hi and WelcomeQUOTE=Kakan54;2450596
When the receiver has read the first CD, ejects it and puts in CD No 2, the information doesn’t change.

My guess is that the Windows driver (cdrom.sys) doesn’t notice the replaced CD. The result is that no WM_DEVICECHANCE message is created.[/quote]Such is controlled by the “media change notification”. This can be disabled by the end user with a changed registry key. You may check MSKB for that.

A closer look at two “duplicate” (not) CD’s shows that they got an identical serial number, and I suspect that’s the cause of the problem.
Not impossible.

Is there a way to (manually) set a serial number, when burning a CD/DVD?
No idea. An ugly workaround would be adding a file with the serial number to the compilation (or add a serial number to the disc title).

Michael

It might work.
But while Googling for the solution to this problem, I’ve read that Nero (as well as other burners) is supposed to guarantee that different discs gets different serial numbers.
Do you think that this could be a bug in Nero8?

Hi,

I am not into programming, so I can only guess.
A bug in a Nero version is not impossible. Have you already installed the latest updates for your version of Nero?

You could also download the Nero9 trial and see if things improve.

Michael

First of all: Thanks for your replies.
The problem I’m facing (on that part), is that I made an (Windows) application that uses Nero SDK för burning CD/DVD’s.
But we aren’t using the program, since the usage of the app is outsourced to another company.
However, I will ask them what version and what updates they have.
Thanks, I didn’t think of that.