How to select a subtitle

I ripped few movies with DVDFab Platinum, using both Main Movie and Generic options, while selecting few langauges as subtitles (subpicture). When I play the movies in Vista Media Center I do not get an option to select any of them. I right click and get a pop up menu but none of the option on the menu show me the langauges to select from. What am I doing wrong?

Using Vista !!!

[QUOTE=GregiBoy;1958134]Using Vista !!![/QUOTE]

:disagree:I disagree with GregiBoy :disagree:. Vista media center like media center 2005 are almost identical and easy to use! Use the adjustments in the general screen setting to set language defaults. You should try burning with DL media and back-up whole disk. Also use the menu’s inmbeeded on the DVD itself to set language. It’s usually under special features. When doing movie itself make sure all other languages are uncheck and your dvd player will use that soundtrack only. :smiley:

I already use the general screen to set the languages default. I did not see there any option to allow me multiple langauges subtitles.
I do not understand your comment about “buring with DL media” - I am not burning any disk, I am only copying the disk to the hard disk since I want my library of movies to be on the pc.
When I use “generic” or “Main Movie” I thought I will have access to the “menu imbeded on the DVD itself to set langauges” (as you say in your response) but I could not find a way to access that menu once the movie is on my pc.
And to be clear, I am not talking about the soundtracks, but rather about the subtitles. In “generic” mode DVDFab does not allow to select more than one soundtrack, but it does allow for multiple subtitles. I wouldlike to be able to see the menu that allows me to choose which langauge I want to be displayed, since I sometimes see the movie with one subtitle langauge, say English, and sometimes with another one, say French, depending on the people watching the movie.
A similar problem exists regarding the selection of the audio soundtrack. I thought that using “Main Movie” mode in DVDFab, that allows to copy multiple soundtracks, will allow to choose the proper langauge from a menu while the movie plays. I could not access such a menu neither.
And a note to GregiBoy: your comment is not really helpful unless you explain which other way you suggest I should watch my movies, and why.

main movie mode should preserve whatever sound tracks & subtitles you tick at the rip stage.
I don’t use vista but I’ve has no problems viewgin main movie copies & changing audio track and / or toggling subtitles setting with Powerdvd.
I suggest that in FAB common settings you turn off pre-select audio & subtitles and enable choose all tracks i.e. don’t choose a language. otherwise it WILL filter out all but the sinlge language that you have selected.

If in doubt do a test with full disc copy option to your HD & see how that looks in vista. That copy mode definitely preserves all audio & subtitles in all languages, so if you still can’t select them from the HD copy I guess that it’s a vista interface issue.

If disc space is not an issue then using full disc copy is a safe & quick option - you can fine tune it by turning on i"gnore warnings" & “jump to 1st menu” also in that option.

Thanks for your help, I have found out a solution to my problem, and it has nothing to do with DVDFab.
For those of you interested, here is what I have found:
First, I needed to install extra codecs on my pc. I installed K-Lite Mega Pack of codecs. Then I started to see subtitles in my movies.
Second, I went to Media Center->Setting->DVD and changed the subtitle language from “Default” to the other langauge I wanted. When I went back to my movie, the subtitle changed.
Third, movies that I loaded with multiple sound tracks using the “Main Movie” option of DVDFab, in order to switch to another audio langauge, again I had to go to Media Center->Setting->DVD and change the audio langauge to the one I wanted. When I returned to the movie, the spoken langauge changed.

It would have been nice that this could have been done from a pop up menu while the movie plays, as Windows Media Player allow, but since the “Setting” screen is available from the pop up menu while playing a movie, it is not such a big deal to then go to the DVD screen and set it up as needed.

Thanks all for your help, and if somebody know how to move it to Vista Media Center forum, or copy it, I think it will be usefull to others.

thats awesome:cool:

just be careful

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f57/loss-windows-sounds-after-uninstall-codec-pack-216310/

troy

Well, I thought I finished with the business of subtitles but found out I did not. The problem I am faced with now is, that my second langaue of subtitle (the first one being English) does not appear when I rip using “generic”, even though I uncheck all the langaues but English and the 2nd langauge. The second subtitle do appear when I rip using “Main Movie” but this takes 4GB compared with 1-1.5GB in “generic” mode. Is there a bug in DVDFab Platinum regarding multipl subtitles in “generic” mode? BTW,I observed this behavior in the movie “BIG” with Tom Hanks.

I think if you select more than one subtitle in an MPEG-4 conversion DVDFab will generate only idx/sub files, not render them to video. VLC media player will play the files and allow you to select which sub file to use. [quote=drbarak;1961260]Well, I thought I finished with the business of subtitles but found out I did not. The problem I am faced with now is, that my second langaue of subtitle (the first one being English) does not appear when I rip using “generic”, even though I uncheck all the langaues but English and the 2nd langauge. The second subtitle do appear when I rip using “Main Movie” but this takes 4GB compared with 1-1.5GB in “generic” mode. Is there a bug in DVDFab Platinum regarding multipl subtitles in “generic” mode? BTW,I observed this behavior in the movie “BIG” with Tom Hanks.[/quote]

[QUOTE=signals;1961341]I think if you select more than one subtitle in an MPEG-4 conversion DVDFab will generate only idx/sub files, not render them to video. VLC media player will play the files and allow you to select which sub file to use.[/QUOTE]

Hi Signals,

With generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy profile, if you choose multiple subtitles and the “Burn In” option, only the first subtitle is actually burnt in to the video whereas if you choose the external subtitle option, multiple idx/sub files are created.

As you said, it is then up to your software player to correctly interpret and display these.

When I said “Using Vista” was the problem, I was saying that M$ofts Media Players do not handle this very well.