How to restore to proper icon

Have Sony’s MRD_VC3 DVD recorder. It came with Nero Essentials (v7).
I have XP Home SP2.

Seems most or all of my NotePad files have been changed.
Instead of the Notepad icon, the icon picture is that of Nero’s Showtime!
Though a rt click/Properties, it says “open with… Notepad” !
How do I correct this?

I saw a similar post and the person uninstalled Nero & re-installed,then had other issues (missing files/.dll).

Have you tried changing the file types form the control panel ? (Control Panel > Folder options >Files tab, then look for the extension and assign it to the program you want, notepad in this case). Or simply right click on the file > open with… > Choose program, select notepad and mark the “Always use the selected program…” checkbox.

If the file association is not your problem then you may try deleting IconCache, it’s located on C:\Documents and Settings\Your username\Local Settings\Application Data\IconCache (you need to have the “show hidden files” option turned on). Don’t worry, the file will be created again when you restart your computer, but you may save a copy of it elsewhere just in case.

I did go to the Folder Options, But I could not find the icon that is associate with NotePad (the icon is called “video CD Movie”).

Also - I can not find the Icon Cache folder. & show hidden option is searched.

James -
Wait did find a Icon Cache file - is it a “data base” (db extension)?

Just want to double ck before I delete anything.

I still find it odd that in the Files Types tab of Folder Options I did not see a “video CD Movie” reference.

James -
Wait did find a Icon Cache file - is it a “data base” (db extension)?

Just want to double ck before I delete anything.

I still find it odd that in the Files Types tab of Folder Options I did not see a “video CD Movie” reference.