How To Remove Gateway 200ARC Combo Drive

vbimport

I might need to replace my SN-324F combo drive in my Gatway M200ARC laptop. Does anyone know how do I take the drive out? It is a built-in. Have been trying to get instructions from Gateway without luck. Really appreciate it if someone can help me understand what I have to take apart to get the drive out. Thanks.

I have the same situation. I have purchased a new dvd/cd-rw combo drive to replace my old malfunction combo drive. Does anyone know how? Thanks!

I’ve figured out how to open the notebook and replaced NEC nd-6650a combo drive into it. Except the screws that can be identified on the bottom of the notebook, there are two tricks to open it. First, you need unscrew the screw inside the HDD cover. Second, you need use a thin-flat object to unlock two covers located at the joint of LCD and body, take out the covers and unscrew the screw under the covers.
Be careful to disconnect the keyboard cable, touch pad cable and power button cable before you open the notebook body! Good Luck! :slight_smile:

There are a couple of more things that makes this easier. There is one more screw, under the keyboard. There are a couple of pry slots along the bottom edge of the keyboard, which is then is tab keyed along the top edge. Pry up the bottom edge and pull back and the keyboard will detach. Carefully disconnect the keyboard cable. Going in through the keyboard makes it easier to disconnect the power button and trackpad connectors.

To disconnect the cdrom drive, disconnect the connector near the center of the motherboard and remove the two screw along the back edge of the drive. These two screw go through tabs and are not the really tiny screws on the drive body. You may want to remove the small daughterboard that sits above the drive along the top edge. There’s a screw on top and a pinned connector underneath, so pry it straight up. After that, slide the cdrom drive to the right about 3/8 of an inch and then pull the drive up and out.

Comprehensive reply, but it’s nearly 4 years since he had the problem…

[QUOTE=Nick.C;2459183]Comprehensive reply, but it’s nearly 4 years since he had the problem…[/QUOTE]

It’s never too late for arcane instructions. A complete resolution in a thread is always better than an incomplete one.

I can’t imagine there are too many 200ARC laptops out there, but I have two of them. Finding this site and this article was timely and got me 95% of the way there, so I’ll take credit for the last 5%. I’ll also take being able to spend $20 to restore a working laptop as opposed to having to buy a new one.

thanks for contributing ewickham :slight_smile:

This old workhorse lasted 5 years before needing a new CD. Glad i found these instructions.
I had a bit of trouble following the jumble of instructions on this, so i have melded them into one, to clarify the disassembly procedures for the Gateway 200ARC :

Remove all screws on the bottom of the unit, including the one under the HD cover.
Turn-over the unit, and remove the keyboard. Lift the keyboard near the rear of the machine, and tilt it forward. To remove the keyboard’s ribbon-connector at the motherboard: the ribbon-clasp on the motherboard slides forward (toward the front of unit), then tilts up to release the ribbon. When the keyboard is out, remove the two ribbon-connectors found near the center of the exposed motherboard. The one near the rear is to the power and controls at the rear of the unit. The one toward the front is to the mouse.
To remove the LCD screen: Each hinge of the LCD has a small cover on the top (same surface as the power button). There is a pry-hole to the inside-side. Pry the cover at that point, then pry around the front until the two catches release. Lift the covers (with some pressure) untill the screw can be accessed and removed. The cover on the right hides two wires, which unclip, and lift out. The cover on the left hides a ribbon-connector. Lift (unplug) the connector, and lift out. Lift the LCD up and away from the unit, and lay aside.
Unclip the top-cover (surrounding the keyboard) from the unit, by using a pair of small flat-blade screwdrivers to separate the cover from the front, right-side, and back. The cover needs to be pushed slightly to the left, to un-clip it from the left-side panel.
Lift and remove the cover.
Unclip the CD’s ribbon connector. The CD has two screws, to the left, holding the CD’s two metal tabs. Remove these screws, and move the CD about 1/4 inch to the right, where it can be lifted out.

[QUOTE=ewickham;2459437]It’s never too late for arcane instructions. A complete resolution in a thread is always better than an incomplete one.

I can’t imagine there are too many 200ARC laptops out there, but I have two of them. Finding this site and this article was timely and got me 95% of the way there, so I’ll take credit for the last 5%. I’ll also take being able to spend $20 to restore a working laptop as opposed to having to buy a new one.[/QUOTE]

Ummm, I just found this comment extremely useful, it’s now several years later and like you, I can’t believe this old Gateway still works as well as it does. Once I get this CD fixed I’m going to see if I can get Win 10 into it :slight_smile: