How to remove copy protection from wmv?

vbimport

I have a legit copy of a movie in wmv format. Actually it came to me in two wmv files, dunno why.

Anyway I want to copy it into a different format even make it into a DVD and since I have a lic i think it should be ok under the fair use act.

I tried windows movie maker and it told me no since it was copy protected. So I need to remove the copy protection.

So here’s my question. What FREE software will allow me to do this? This is for a Windows PC.

Thanks

Its illegal to remove that protection. If you do that you have violated the rules to obtain and use this “legit copy”.

[QUOTE=joseschmoe;2509750]I have a legit copy of a movie in wmv format. Actually it came to me in two wmv files, dunno why. [/QUOTE]

That is something I never heard of before and your saying it comes in two wmv files doesn’t fly. Want the movie go and buy it to support. Maybe if you can give us where you got it and the MODs can verify it maybe then and only then.

Gentlemen. The original poster is not violating the rules of the forum. The rules are based on Dutch home copy laws, and removal of the drm from legally obtained .wmv files is permissible for personal use. It is no different than removing encryption from commercial dvds.

Please leave the moderating to the actual MODERATORS!

To the original poster: use Google to look up FairUse4WM. It is the only free tool I know about. People have had more luck lately using a commercial product called Tunebite however.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2509894]Gentlemen. The original poster is not violating the rules of the forum. The rules are based on Dutch home copy laws, and removal of the drm from legally obtained .wmv files is permissible for personal use. It is no different than removing encryption from commercial dvds.
[/QUOTE]

I though this is an international forum and the © laws apply to that person respective country which does post here. :confused:

[QUOTE=chef;2510105]I though this is an international forum and the © laws apply to that person respective country which does post here. :confused:[/QUOTE]

No. Discussions held on these forums must obey the laws found in The Netherlands, since that is the country where MyCE is hosted.
The rules that we follow in these forums are slightly more strict than those seen in Dutch home copy provisions, but that is a voluntary action on our part, due to the international scope of the forums.

Whether the discussions on this site violate rules seen in other countries, even the country where the original poster lives is immaterial. For[B] discussion purposes[/B], Dutch law is what counts here.

If you wish to continue this, please do so in a private message and do not continue here in joseschmoe’s thread. We’ve derailed it enough as is.

Hey Folks

Didn’t think it would stir up so much convtroversy here. I was just asking a simple question being a newbie here and all.

Thanks to Kerry56 for his good advice! will follow.

Here you go